ADVERTISEMENT

What responsibility does a protester have?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
For their own safety when doing something like blocking a road and daring drivers to either hit them or stop? I mean, it’s a game of chicken and if neither side blinks, the protester loses 10 times out of 10. But aren’t they responsible for the “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” situation?

Depends on a lot of factors. Have the organizers of the protest gotten a permit from the city? Is there a specific example you have in mind?

Depends on a lot of factors. Have the organizers of the protest gotten a permit from the city? Is there a specific example you have in mind?
Specifically, it's the people that decide to try and play chicken in the road. People stand in the road thinking a driver is going to stop and then when the driver doesn't, the protesters lose their mind and act surprised that the person lost the game of chicken.
I always think back to the Reginald Denny situation during the Rodney King riots. Denny stopped his truck, was dragged out and then beaten to within an inch of his life.

Perhaps I'm wrong since there are many stupid things going on that would not have been imagined by many a few years ago, but I doubt that blocking highways or blocking roads without a small window of time to get across would be granted...except maybe where looting is allowed and historic statues destroyed. I have no idea how old you are and if you have older children, but if you have some years behind you what we saw in the summer of love by the marxist BLM (a book written tying leadership to the CCP) riot for months then you know that wouldn't have been allowed to get so destructive, violent and last so long as some encouraged it and others just watched. Do you have the years behind you to see how different it was?

If it’s an angry out of control mob, I’m not stopping the vehicle whether they have a permit or not. Not putting my family’s life in their hands. They’ll move, probably.
What right does someone have to take hostage taxpayer property? If the punishment is not severe enough it will continue. It amazes me the number of people that expect to be harmed and then a third party wants to determine for you "what is the right action" which we know is rarely strong enough to stop the behavior. The laws are so screwed that shooting someone that is only stealing or harming you in some manner outside fear of death will get you thrown in jail most likely. Remember knockout played a few years ago

Reactions: SKYDOG
What right does someone have to take hostage taxpayer property? If the punishment is not severe enough it will continue. It amazes me the number of people that expect to be harmed and then a third party wants to determine for you "what is the right action" which we know is rarely strong enough to stop the behavior. The laws are so screwed that shooting someone that is only stealing or harming you in some manner outside fear of death will get you thrown in jail most likely. Remember knockout played a few years ago
Up is down, down is up. We just need more mental health professionals to reason with these psychos, that will fix everything.

Here’s a shocker: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/26/tar...e-nine-stores-citing-violence-and-theft-.html

The 9 stores being closed are in NYC, San Fransicko, Seattle, and you guessed it: Portland.

• Angry
Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese

Permit on a road?
Maybe It happens perhaps???
But a protest officially permitted on a road....I would guess, not very often.

Reactions: bonefish1
For their own safety when doing something like blocking a road and daring drivers to either hit them or stop? I mean, it’s a game of chicken and if neither side blinks, the protester loses 10 times out of 10. But aren’t they responsible for the “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” situation?
Yes

Permit on a road?
Maybe It happens perhaps???
But a protest officially permitted on a road....I would guess, not very often.
I've gotten permits to hold protests on city roads before. Block a highway without police permission and you're on your own. Get a permit (which isn't always granted), and you have First Amendment protections.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I've gotten permits to hold protests on city roads before. Block a highway without police permission and you're on your own. Get a permit (which isn't always granted), and you have First Amendment protections.
aren't most of the permits for a section of a road and duration....mostly to walk down or through? I know BLM held streets captive for days, but isn't that very unusual?

Reactions: Boilermaker03

Here is how you defend your freedom of movement.....

Probably a lot more. We have millions of illegal immigrants ready to vote in the next election.

None if this would be an issue if we would get rid of handout freebies. No handouts......let them all vote.

Yes, I don't know about millions. But with fake IDs and other fakes I sure many do slip into the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker03
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT