ADVERTISEMENT

What if we had Stephie instead of Versyp?

TheBoris

Junior
Sep 22, 2016
Madison, Indiana
I'll probably get hammered for saying this but Notre Dame has totally displaced Purdue for top in-state recruits and they did it with a coach who has the personality of a.....muffin.

Stephie was WNBA and a great analyst on the BTN and she assembled a great crew to go to Vandy with her. How on earth did Morgan let her slip away? Loyalty to Versyp outweighs the long term best interests of the program?

Reactions: jwbbfan and Bigohh
Good timing ! My brother and I were discussing just this issue last night. Any time you have a chance to get a Miss Basketball, who was an all-american, a player of the year, natl champ, analyst, wnba coach who won a championship . . . you should be sending out ALL of the troops to get her ! The fact that she did these while AT Purdue adds a multiplier.

As you rightfully highlight, the impact for local recruiting would be tremendous and whether Versyp realizes it or not, her program has dropped significantly and Stephanie will always be the face of the women's basketball program, just like Rick Mount , Joe Barry Carroll, and John Wooden are for the mens

Reactions: jwbbfan
Sad . We seem to be going lower and lower. It's difficult to watch a once proud program being pummeled by little schools with lesser resources and things to offer. No disrespect to Maine but reality. Sad stuff.

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
Could be she is past her time to bring about the change the program needs! If this season plays out that it is more of the recent past MBob will probably have to take a long hard look at her and her contract!

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
My biggest fear is that Versyp has thus far been following exactly Hope's footsteps. Both are mediocre - not absolutely disaster like Hazell's but just maddeningly mediocre. Will give you a surprise win every now and then but otherwise getting blown out by good teams and can't beat semi-decent teams. Worst of all, they don't seem to understand that they are mediocre and thought they were doing a great job.

The best time to fire Hope was the year before his firing when Sumlin was available, but a Pizza bowl saved him. The best time to fire Versyp was six months ago when White was available, but a NCAAT appearance saved her. And we knew what happened after the Pizza Bowl.

My biggest fear is that Versyp has thus far been following exactly Hope's footsteps. Both are mediocre - not absolutely disaster like Hazell's but just maddeningly mediocre. Will give you a surprise win every now and then but otherwise getting blown out by good teams and can't beat semi-decent teams. Worst of all, they don't seem to understand that they are mediocre and thought they were doing a great job.

The best time to fire Hope was the year before his firing when Sumlin was available, but a Pizza bowl saved him. The best time to fire Versyp was six months ago when White was available, but a NCAAT appearance saved her. And we knew what happened after the Pizza Bowl.
Ditto. Totally agree. There is no indication we are on our way back to the Top 10 nationally. Attendance and support will go the way of the football team if something doesn't change soon. Accepting the mediocre is not acceptable with a program that was consistently in the Top 10, won a NC, and was Top 10 in attendance.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
She should have been fired a long time ago. Horrific recruiter, and a terrible x's and o's coach, this program is now a total disaster.

Ditto. Totally agree. There is no indication we are on our way back to the Top 10 nationally. Attendance and support will go the way of the football team if something doesn't change soon. Accepting the mediocre is not acceptable with a program that was consistently in the Top 10, won a NC, and was Top 10 in attendance.

Attendance really won't be a huge factor since the revenue generated is fairly insignificant compared to football. So long as we count the student seasons tickets that students get with their fb/mbb tickets we may stay in the top 20 there anyway.

Attendance really won't be a huge factor since the revenue generated is fairly insignificant compared to football. So long as we count the student seasons tickets that students get with their fb/mbb tickets we may stay in the top 20 there anyway.[/QUOTE
I would think attendance matters in recruiting, though. It also matters in home court advantage. Since most college women's programs don't have much attendance, it can be intimidating to the opposing team when Mackey gets loud (along with a shout-out to the pep band that does a fantastic job of filling in for the Paint Crew.

I agree that it matters to the program. Whether that makes a difference to Bobinski at the end of a season when all the dollars and cents are added up we'll see.

I'll probably get hammered for saying this but Notre Dame has totally displaced Purdue for top in-state recruits and they did it with a coach who has the personality of a.....muffin.

Stephie was WNBA and a great analyst on the BTN and she assembled a great crew to go to Vandy with her. How on earth did Morgan let her slip away? Loyalty to Versyp outweighs the long term best interests of the program?
I agree 1000%

Bring in Geralds! Versyp has let a once national title program and big ten favorite year in and out fall off to embarrassment status

Still a free country with free speech whether or not you like what they are saying. If multimillion dollar male athletes can do it why not women?

Never said they weren't free to do it. We are just as free to dislike them doing it as they are to do it. Lost a ton of respect for that team for doing it too and I will proceed as if they no longer exist as far as being a sports team I'd consider watching.

Reactions: HUNTER46120
Rich male athletes may do it, but that does't mean we have to like it.

Bingo. I stopped watching the NBA a long time ago because frankly it's terrible basketball but had I not I'd have stopped watching it more recently because I'm sick of athletes trying to use their influence on social issues. Nobody should care any more about what Lebron James thinks about the presidential race than any random person on the street and anyone who cares what he thinks on the matter because he is a star NBA player is a fool.

The Fever are terribly misguided in thinking that their stance did anything other than alienate a good number of fans because the WNBA is not very popular and they don't have much of a platform anyway. If I were the Pacers I'd have been furious and probably have withdrawn my support for the franchise and refused to subsidize their existence going forward.

Last edited:
AGREE! Free Speech

Free speech isn't the issue. Nobody is debating their right to do it (so long as their employers are ok with them doing so on the job). But that knife cuts both ways. People also have the right to dislike and speak out against their hateful stance towards those that protect and serve and their disrespect for those that have paid the ultimate price so they could express their disrespect towards them.

Free speech doesn't guarantee that there won't be any repercussions for saying what you want. The Fever had to express themselves and now they must face the consequences for doing so. We will see what all that will include.

Reactions: HUNTER46120
If versyp gets fired I would make a bet with you

All that has to happen is payoff $600K for Versyp, Convince Steph to pay Vandy big buyout, get Purdue to match their six year deal worth over $900k annually, and have Steph leave Vanderbilt and Nashville to return to Purdue and West Lafayette.

All that has to happen is payoff $600K for Versyp, Convince Steph to pay Vandy big buyout, get Purdue to match their six year deal worth over $900k annually, and have Steph leave Vanderbilt and Nashville to return to Purdue and West Lafayette.
That part would be easy, IF our president and AD would recognize the tailspin our Women's Basketball is in and have the desire to correct it. Currently, there is no indication of either.

That part would be easy, IF our president and AD would recognize the tailspin our Women's Basketball is in and have the desire to correct it. Currently, there is no indication of either.

Understandably AD has had his hands full since arriving in late August. If we don't correct football the whole program suffers. Those who follow Wbb closely have seen the deterioration for several years or longer.

The door was open back in the spring, when knowledgeable folks should have known Steph was interested in a move (now, whether that move would have included Purdue is another question - even a lifelong resident of this area, I think Nashville would be a step above West Lafayette). Of course, in typical Purdue fashion, we made a questionable decision and then executed it poorly. As some have said, here and on OGFP, I think SV is a good person and I greatly respect how she handled some situations in her tenure, but she's clearly not the right person to change the direction of the program. And, from Steph's perspective, Purdue might not have been a great fit either. Every coaching job has pressure but to come back to Purdue and all those related expectations, might not be appealing.

The door was open back in the spring, when knowledgeable folks should have known Steph was interested in a move (now, whether that move would have included Purdue is another question - even a lifelong resident of this area, I think Nashville would be a step above West Lafayette). Of course, in typical Purdue fashion, we made a questionable decision and then executed it poorly. As some have said, here and on OGFP, I think SV is a good person and I greatly respect how she handled some situations in her tenure, but she's clearly not the right person to change the direction of the program. And, from Steph's perspective, Purdue might not have been a great fit either. Every coaching job has pressure but to come back to Purdue and all those related expectations, might not be appealing.

Well said. I think SW was not that unhappy about leaving Indiana.

Well said. I think SW was not that unhappy about leaving Indiana.
Sorry to hear that. Speaking from experience, I also know it is a lot easier to hire someone than it is to fire them, especially if you like them and believe they are doing the best they can.
It is just frustrating to watch a program that was a source of such great pride turn into a list of excuses.

Doesn't seem likely. I think Vanderbilt was the right move for her. She will do ok down there and probably be happier.

Reactions: destewart
Free speech isn't the issue. Nobody is debating their right to do it (so long as their employers are ok with them doing so on the job). But that knife cuts both ways. People also have the right to dislike and speak out against their hateful stance towards those that protect and serve and their disrespect for those that have paid the ultimate price so they could express their disrespect towards them.

Free speech doesn't guarantee that there won't be any repercussions for saying what you want. The Fever had to express themselves and now they must face the consequences for doing so. We will see what all that will include.
I agree with you on that as well. "I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Patrick Henry

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT