ADVERTISEMENT

What, if anything, would you change about Mackey Arena?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I actually think Mackey is one of the finest playing arenas there are in all of college sports. But, to generate some dialog on this forum, what, if anything, would you change within Mackey Arena...
- Inside the playing arena?
- Outside the playing arena?

My take
  • Inside: nothing (other than keeping what is current, fresh)
  • Outside: widen corridors to make more room for sell-out crowds and all those awards :cool:

Reactions: DrEss
It’s always hot as balls at the top. Maybe top 6-7 rows of the stadium. The heat rises and it’s almost unbearable up there, especially during the games when the crowd gets riled up.

Maybe some ventilation? Fans? (Damn, I’m not as old as I sound)

Reactions: rgarlitz
I actually think Mackey is one of the finest playing arenas there are in all of college sports. But, to generate some dialog on this forum, what, if anything, would you change within Mackey Arena...

My take
  • Outside: widen corridors to make more room for sell-out crowds and all those awards :cool:
Make the fatties buy 2 seats. Or just take 1 seat out of each row.

Those comfort loungers near the court - move those up to the upper bowl and add in more student seating/general seating there. Sorry, that section always looks like they are half asleep.

Those comfort loungers near the court - move those up to the upper bowl and add in more student seating/general seating there. Sorry, that section always looks like theybare asleep.

I agree, anything we can do to make the seating more comfortable without sacrificing nbr of seats should be done throughout the arena.

Sounds like ventilation and air movement should be improved to reduce the "hot as balls" thermal build up.

Move more students closer to the court is an interesting idea. It would reduce ticket revenue and pass off those with money. But, if it makes the place louder, resulting in more wins, does that offset the alumni complaints?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Would you be in favor of raising the arena from the street level? Maybe add a few suites along that ring as well more bleacher seats at the top?

Also, could replace some of the media with loud students.

Would you be in favor of raising the arena from the street level? Maybe add a few suites along that ring as well more bleacher seats at the top?

Also, could replace some of the media with loud students.
Would be curious on adding some sort of suite while keeping the original design elements. Feel like this would be like Oklahoma State where the went vertical and raised everything up.

As to ventilation, perhaps we can pump that down on opposing teams bench? We have smart folks in thermodynamics would could work that out.

The P in the center does not look as good as the previous train logo, and the current train logo looks too cartoonish.

That would be funny to design it so that the visitors bench is warm.

They did that in 2011, but I guess more room is always better.
Yes, but those corridors could be made bigger to allow greater flow. I do remember the old halls, wow, were those cramped.

But if you could raise the upper bowl and increase the corridor height and width, that would be tremendous.

I think if it was just a tad larger... Try to get it closer to 16k... With a more cushy seating section... Honestly that's just being picky though... A banner is the realistic addition...

Last edited:
I should have clarified that I meant a physical modification to the arena and not a banner.

Getting a banner would go a long way for this program. Assuming that happens, I was more curious as to what Purdue could do to improve the arena itself.

My take
Add in concessions- Tommy’s (chili) Burgers to welcome our new California Big10 teams! Rampart Tommy’s was half way between USC and UCLA.

Reactions: Tommaker
I think if it was just a tad larger... Try to get it closer to 16k... With a more cushy seating section... Honestly that's just being picky though... A banner is the realistic addition...
This was discussed many years ago. Adding just 4 rows around the top will add 3K seats per the current definition of a seat. That plan would have put Mackey over 17K seats during the time of the original discussion.

Reactions: tjreese
Those comfort loungers near the court - move those up to the upper bowl and add in more student seating/general seating there. Sorry, that section always looks like they are half asleep.
That's how wonderfully comfortable those chairs are! Or so I have heard.

My take

Agree, we need students on the sidelines so it looks like there is excitement

Agree, we need students on the sidelines so it looks like there is excitement
I also get that it is revenue game and if you take those seats that cost $100/game (hypothetical because I have no idea) and convert to student ones, there is a trade off potential. Couple that with the amount of food/beverage those folks have compared to a student and it might be best to leave things as is.

I would be curious to see potential renderings if we could add some boxes/suites. I think for hosting recruits and others, it would be cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT