ADVERTISEMENT

What I Expect To See in Game #2

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
Good teams make a huge jump in play from Week One to Week Two, very good or Top Ten teams make smaller improvements. With that said I expect to see major strides in our O-Line play, more balance in our number of runs vs passes. Find our TE’s no matter who is at QB, expect to see both at least for a series or two. A turnover or two by our D, finishing tackles and getting to the opponents QB by what ever means necessary. Take nothing for granted and limit our turnovers to one!

I think we will be seeing more of the two QB situation moving forward. We couldn't run the ball at all with Sindelar in but when Blough was in we got it rolling. I think that was primarily due to the fact that Blough is also a run threat. However, Blough has no deep ball threat and good defenses will eventually lock us down so I give the starting and minutes edge to Sindelar. I expect Blough to see action when our offense gets stale or nothing seems to be working. Let's just focus on Eastern Michigan and get the win though. Gotta play hard!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I was thinking EMU is supposed to have one of the MAC's better defenses. I would like to see the TE's more involved and a more balanced offensive scheme. I think Rondale could have some killer kick returns and who knows, maybe this weekend we see him return a kickoff for a TD. I would think Moore has a big game. Sparks impressed me in the opener and I would expect him to get his share of catches. I hope we get a sack or two. We need to improve our pass rush.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
EMU isn’t very good...they’re a perennial bottom dweller in the MAC. Purdue should look great against them. Which i would take with a grain of salt because I don’t know what you really learn from a game like this unless you shit the bed an lose.

I would expect overall play to *look* better and use the game as a tune up for MIZZOU & BC. We’ll really find out what improvements are made in 2 weeks.

Reactions: JohnnyOscar
EMU isn’t very good...they’re a perennial bottom dweller in the MAC. Purdue should look great against them. Which i would take with a grain of salt because I don’t know what you really learn from a game like this unless you shit the bed an lose.

I would expect overall play to *look* better and use the game as a tune up for MIZZOU & BC. We’ll really find out what improvements are made in 2 weeks.

Agreed - I don't think this game will tell a whole lot. Good teams struggle against crappy teams sometimes, good teams roll them many times. A game against Northwestern - who is supposed to be similar/worse than us says a lot more.

However, first games can be misleading - both in good and bad ways. Not to mention things like QB changes can be misleading over a short period of time. A QB change can often "ignite" something temporarily, but they often don't hold.

That was one of the most surprising things about Thursday's game, that the TEs were not utilized. Especially when Blough was in there. I think there was only 1 catch and only a couple of targets to them all game.
One pump fake to Rondale and bring a TE across or TE flag route and likely a huge gain would be made.
There had to be openings and why our Coordinators didn't pick that up mystifies me late in 3rd Qtr or throughout 4th Qtr.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
One pump fake to Rondale and bring a TE across or TE flag route and likely a huge gain would be made.
There had to be openings and why our Coordinators didn't pick that up mystifies me late in 3rd Qtr or throughout 4th Qtr.
Their linebackers were good enough to single cover the TEs. NW chose to neutralize them and leave the outside receivers single covered.

Go to 2:06 of this video for a highlight of Purdue's 2004 season during the Syracuse game. Fully expect a similar play to this to be run by using Moore as a decoy on a bubble screen and having Zico, Sparks, or Wright slip out deep to be wide open. Likely not used this weekend but in the coming weeks....yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT