ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if

Some of the best data available for a large population in the USA comes from NY state and according to their website 39% of the people who died of Covid were 80 or over. Another 26% where between 70 and 79 and 35% were 69 or younger.
I don’t know if the 81 years old average is correct, but NY is nowhere near a representative sample of the country. I’d love to know how many of their cases originated from the subway, aka the human Petri dish.

Reactions: JRowdy20 and TMA62
Agreed. It seems the goalposts on pandemic management has become more focused on nobody catching it.

We are all going to catch COVID-19, sooner or later. It could be today, or tomorrow or next year or so. And nearly 90% of us will have little to no symptoms. And now we have a growing arsenal of medicines, regiments, treatments and knowledge of how to treat sick patients given their symptoms and heath background. We are all going to get COVID-19 and will develop immunity and antibodies for it.Just like we do with all other flu virus.

The notion of stopping COVID-19, dead in its tracks, is impossible. It has never been done before with any other flu virus. Lastly, COVID-19's mortality rate is always being revised downward and is now rivaling typical flu viruses.

We are all going to catch COVID-19, sooner or later. It could be today, or tomorrow or next year or so. And nearly 90% of us will have little to no symptoms. And now we have a growing arsenal of medicines, regiments, treatments and knowledge of how to treat sick patients given their symptoms and heath background. We are all going to get COVID-19 and will develop immunity and antibodies for it.Just like we do with all other flu virus.

The notion of stopping COVID-19, dead in its tracks, is impossible. It has never been done before with any other flu virus. Lastly, COVID-19's mortality rate is always being revised downward and is now rivaling typical flu viruses.
Don’t forget get all along we could have been told to take 5,000 mg of vitamin D, Vitamin C and Zink, Daily and you would create a barrier ‘so to speak’
And no one spoke about that for some reason until recent weeks. Not sure why they would choose not to do that and my doctor and their research lab knew about that two months ago

Why should I research the number you represented? If you make the claim, then you should be able to back it up. If I make a claim, I'll back it up. Its really pretty simple.

I'd heard the 2.2 million number before as well. I did a quick Google search on it and found the 2.2 million number has been used as a "what if" number assuming we did nothing. I was just pointing out that you may have been mistaken. If you have other information please share.

SC, as recently as the beginning of May (5/4), the CDC was predicting 3,000 deaths a day from COVID by June 1. The numbers have been falling drastically and are nowhere near those levels.

We had emergency hospitals set up that never saw the first patient.

We had manufacturing facilities re-tasked to build ventilators that were never needed.

We had hospitals that were nowhere close to being overrun.

All this was expected WITH precautions taken.

This isn't a commentary on President Trump. It is simply a recognition that we never came anywhere CLOSE to the dire predictions.

EY9CRJkXsAcclSh

Reactions: pu1985
Why should I research the number you represented? If you make the claim, then you should be able to back it up. If I make a claim, I'll back it up. Its really pretty simple.

I'd heard the 2.2 million number before as well. I did a quick Google search on it and found the 2.2 million number has been used as a "what if" number assuming we did nothing. I was just pointing out that you may have been mistaken. If you have other information please share.

SC, as recently as the beginning of May (5/4), the CDC was predicting 3,000 deaths a day from COVID by June 1. The numbers have been falling drastically and are nowhere near those levels.

We had emergency hospitals set up that never saw the first patient.

We had manufacturing facilities re-tasked to build ventilators that were never needed.

We had hospitals that were nowhere close to being overrun.

All this was expected WITH precautions taken.

This isn't a commentary on President Trump. It is simply a recognition that we never came anywhere CLOSE to the dire predictions.

EY9CRJkXsAcclSh

Since you brought up predictions on deaths... I read an article recently re-visiting the predictions. Early on, with the lockdown, 2,200,000 deaths were predicted (while other medical experts predicted up to 4).

I'll repeat: The lockdown was NOT implemented to reduce the number of deaths, but to flatten the curve. Which, by the way, was expected even with the 'shelter in place', "lockdowns", or martial law.

Factories were taken over to produce ventilators, because we were going to be so over-run we wouldn't be able to keep up. Now, I'm reading that we're giving them away to other countries.

No matter how this is spun, what we were told was going to happen has not come close.

I don't have a big problem with that, as I understand how serious the experts thought this would be. HOWEVER ... ! ... now that we know it is NOWHERE NEAR that serious, it's time for politicians to stop with their nonsense.

That, my friend, is to what I am referring.
Do we have a good number for deaths caused directly by the virus? I really don't know. We do have a mortality table used for social security that tells you the proportion of each age that will die that year...due to something...long before this virus was known to us in the USA. How those numbers compare to the deaths attributed to the virus as well as total deaths this year would be interesting. I'm not sure that using 5/12s of the proportion in 2017 (Jan-May) in the table for both male and female compare exactly with whatever proportion of deaths attributed to the virus today would show (not seen that kind of data), but if available would reveal something more....IF the deaths are accurately portrayed.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Reactions: Purdue85
Purdue will have students on campus starting in August. SIAP.
No word on what this means for football or other sports.

Purdue will have students on campus starting in August. SIAP.
No word on what this means for football or other sports.
I expect them to play with temp scanning a couple of days in advance so teams can adjust if it looks like someone's temp is running high. Then each team should furnish masks for all their players and for those teams that can't get enough oxygen chasing Purdue receivers, they will just have to play more players... ;)

I expect them to play with temp scanning a couple of days in advance so teams can adjust if it looks like someone's temp is running high. Then each team should furnish masks for all their players and for those teams that can't get enough oxygen chasing Purdue receivers, they will just have to play more players... ;)
Let's hope the lessons learned playing in low O2 last year in Reno translate to mask-induced oxygen deprivation tolerance :D

Reactions: tjreese
Who will the Big Ten use to scan temperatures and make the decision every day of a player or the players are healthy? I cannot be left up to the university or to the team. We know there will be teams out there who make the decision based on “the best interest of the team”. They will have to be independent third-party is doing all of the testing. I believe Purdue will do what’s best for everyone not just ourselves. But for the others I just don’t know and I don’t think they will

Who will the Big Ten use to scan temperatures and make the decision every day of a player or the players are healthy? I cannot be left up to the university or to the team. We know there will be teams out there who make the decision based on “the best interest of the team”. They will have to be independent third-party is doing all of the testing. I believe Purdue will do what’s best for everyone not just ourselves. But for the others I just don’t know and I don’t think they will
How about we set up a temperature scanner right outside the visitors non-air conditioned locker room?

If that were to happen it could go pretty quick prior to the game. I was talking about each team checking their players days before so they wouldn't be surprised. Who knows what will happen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT