ADVERTISEMENT

What good came out of the Amazon HQ2 competition?

ComradeRedBoilermaker

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2016
Every city involved humiliated itself, and the “winners” are almost certainly giving up more in the form of tax breaks are direct subsidies than they are gaining in “high paying” jobs.

Amazon does not deserve a dime of tax payer money to operate, and instead they are making off with billions because cities decided to work against each other instead of with each other.

How could this free for all race to the bottom have been avoided? I think there might be lessons to be learned here in the sports world as well. Public money for private stadiums is also egregious.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Every city involved humiliated itself, and the “winners” are almost certainly giving up more in the form of tax breaks are direct subsidies than they are gaining in “high paying” jobs.

Amazon does not deserve a dime of tax payer money to operate, and instead they are making off with billions because cities decided to work against each other instead of with each other.

How could this free for all race to the bottom have been avoided? I think there might be lessons to be learned here in the sports world as well. Public money for private stadiums is also egregious.

I will try to look for it but Mitch Daniels had an op-ed about how/what communities should and should not do in regard to luring companies/sport teams. This is part of it but the Pittsburgh writer puts his opinion in there. Thought Mitch had something in more detail in WSJ but cannot find it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...ing-Amazon-Mitch-Daniels/stories/201711260029

What I find ironic/hypocritical about the decision is that Amazon seemed to all but ignore much of their own criteria they originally set forth. Not that that is unusual anymore but that is what they did. Affordable and available housing? Not cause over population? Public transit that can handle the new load?

Friendly regulation and tax structure? That is how one knows they got a deal with NYC.

They went with who dropped them the most money. Shocker.

Reactions: SKYDOG

You ever shop on Amazon?

I will try to look for it but Mitch Daniels had an op-ed about how/what communities should and should not do in regard to luring companies/sport teams. This is part of it but the Pittsburgh writer puts his opinion in there. Thought Mitch had something in more detail in WSJ but cannot find it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...ing-Amazon-Mitch-Daniels/stories/201711260029

What I find ironic/hypocritical about the decision is that Amazon seemed to all but ignore much of their own criteria they originally set forth. Not that that is unusual anymore but that is what they did. Affordable and available housing? Not cause over population? Public transit that can handle the new load?

Friendly regulation and tax structure? That is how one knows they got a deal with NYC.

They went with who dropped them the most money. Shocker.
cough cough mark warner cough cough...scumbag

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT