ADVERTISEMENT

What are the chances Matt Rhule ends up in B1G?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
From B1G:
NEB, IU, WI, likely IOWA, possibly NW

All others:
Oklahoma, Miami FL, Auburn, Texas A&M, Louisville, can all enter the fray as well.

He had good success at Baylor and Temple. Geographical location doesn't seem to be an issue. Seemed to like collegiate challenges as well. I'm not creating a poll. I'm just picking NEB or Iowa from B1G and Oklahoma or Texas A&M from down South. Since he likes a challenge, I believe it will be Texas A&M since he had local experience and success with Baylor.
Chances B1G = 33%

Reactions: BSIT
Nebraska seems like a good fit for him to be honest. It’s impossible to tell which jobs will be open at this point. This off-season could be pretty nuts for 1st/2nd year guys getting the ax! I will say Nebraska and go 90% with Oklahoma being the wildcard

Nebraska seems like a good fit for him to be honest. It’s impossible to tell which jobs will be open at this point. This off-season could be pretty nuts for 1st/2nd year guys getting the ax! I will say Nebraska and go 90% with Oklahoma being the wildcard
right now he will be getting 834,000/mo for 4 yrs courtesy of Panthers. I could see Neb. has connections in Texas for recruiting

I think it's unlikely either the Iowa or Northwestern jobs will be open. Northwestern would be crazy to get rid of Fitzgerald. At Iowa a staff shakeup seems more likely unless Ferentz himself decides to hang it up. Tom Allen's future could depend on how the rest of this season plays out. He was moving Indiana in the right direction before last year's free-fall. It'll be interesting to see what Wisconsin does--if they stay within their system (that has worked really well for almost 30 years) or try to make a big splash.

Nebraska could be a possibility. But, if I were Rhule, I'd have a long and frank discussion about expectations with the university brass before committing.

Reactions: MisterBlack7
From B1G:

All others:
Oklahoma, Miami FL, Auburn, Texas A&M, Louisville, can all enter the fray as well.

He had good success at Baylor and Temple. Geographical location doesn't seem to be an issue. Seemed to like collegiate challenges as well. I'm not creating a poll. I'm just picking NEB or Iowa from B1G and Oklahoma or Texas A&M from down South. Since he likes a challenge, I believe it will be Texas A&M since he had local experience and success with Baylor.
Chances B1G = 33%
He got paid handsomely to take...and subsequently move on from, the Carolina/NFL job.

He will have choices this year, but, certainly has the option to hold out if nothing is all that appealing to him.

One would think that he will be looking primarily at B1G or SEC just with how things are headed.

He had a lot of success at prior college stops...seems to be really good at that level. I would think he would be an attractive candidate as well.

Nebraska makes some sense, and, I think he would be a great get there....but, they have botched so many hires...they have a guy as AD that seems to be in over his head...not sure that they would go after him, and, not sure if they did that he would be interested.

Wisconsin, assuming things do not just crash completely the rest of the way, are going to likely stay with Leonhard.

Like say, he will have options I would think, including just sitting out if he wished to do so.

I think it's unlikely either the Iowa or Northwestern jobs will be open. Northwestern would be crazy to get rid of Fitzgerald. At Iowa a staff shakeup seems more likely unless Ferentz himself decides to hang it up. Tom Allen's future could depend on how the rest of this season plays out. He was moving Indiana in the right direction before last year's free-fall. It'll be interesting to see what Wisconsin does--if they stay within their system (that has worked really well for almost 30 years) or try to make a big splash.

Nebraska could be a possibility. But, if I were Rhule, I'd have a long and frank discussion about expectations with the university brass before committing.

Allen has a $25MM buyout. He ain't going anywhere anytime soon, which is good news for us.

I'd say it's highly likely Wisconsin makes Jim Leonhard a permanent fixture. He's too popular with players and fans for him to be passed over.

From B1G:

All others:

Chances B1G = 33%
Don't see NW getting rid of Fitzgerald after this season. He has done so much for the program (and the school as a player). I know that doesn't mean a lot sometimes anymore, but I think he will have at least another year.

I also don't see IU either. I believe they are going to ride the Coach Allen train for a while longer. As a Purdue fan, the longer the better in my opinion.

Last edited:
I read an article that said he would only consider a high-end college job at this time so that probably eliminates the B10. Said he would probably be in the booth next year.

I read an article that said he would only consider a high-end college job at this time so that probably eliminates the B10. Said he would probably be in the booth next year.
Maybe he would consider IU then. There is no more high end prestigious college football job than a program closing in on being the first FBS program to lose 700 games in their history.

Don't see NW getting rid of Fitzgerald after this season. He has done so much for the program (and the school as a player). I know that doesn't mean a lot sometimes anymore, but I think he will have at least another year.

I also don't see IU either. I believe they are going to ride the Coach Allen train for a while longer. As Purdue fan, the longer the better in my opinion.
I tend to agree on coach Pat Fitzgerald. He will likely be there another year before the seat gets really hot. Having two losing seasons in a row is bad. Couple it with recruiting status could be the torpedo of his time there. Everything has changed with NIL and Transfer Portal. If NW does not adjust, the fan base will turn on them quickly.

Coach Allen can stay at IU for a long time as far as I am concerned.

Switching to Auburn with slight lean toward Texas A & M.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Fitzgerald isn't going anywhere. I can't see IU eating the buyout and then paying big money to someone like Rhule. I think Iowa has to go something like 3-9 to fire Kirk. Nebraska seems like a good fit. Wisconsin keeps Leonhard as long as he's somewhat competent.

Nationally, Georgia Tech and Arizona State are open. Can't remember the other Power 5 job that is? Oh yeah, Colorado, who cares. Louisville and Auburn seem likely to open. I can't see the others on the OP's list opening up, especially Oklahoma. A&M shouldn't can Jimbo, but I suppose anything is possible.

From B1G:

All others:

Chances B1G = 33%
I think he waits for a top 10 job to come open: LSU, TAMU, OSU, FSU, etc.

Reactions: Robinahood
I suspect if the auburn coach loses a 4th game this year, he will be instantly fired! Expectations are higher at Auburn than at Purdue. And their donors are rich and stupid

I suspect if the auburn coach loses a 4th game this year, he will be instantly fired! Expectations are higher at Auburn than at Purdue. And their donors are rich and stupid
but would he want to put up w/ the crazy boosters at Auburn

Indiana and Northwestern are not even a remote possibility for Rhule. He will get far better offers.

In Northwesterns case they will keep Fitz anyway, and rightfully so. He bleeds NW and has built them respectable seasons. Someone mentioned NW donors and getting rid of Fitz, never going to happen. They donate academic, not athletic.

Iowa is not getting rid of Ferentz at that buyout. Otherwise they might be a player.

Nebraska and Wisconsin have a shot, and are the only 2 B1G teams that could make a case at this point.

Why would Northwestern be crazy to get rid of Fitz? I'm not sure he is the coach everyone thinks he is and after Hankowitz left, he has been awful. It's interesting to go back and look and their decent years as they really beat no one of significance. Fitz is kind of a fraud and not the stud coach everyone thinks he is. I'd take your guy 1000000 times over than Fitz.

Indiana and Northwestern are not even a remote possibility for Rhule. He will get far better offers.

In Northwesterns case they will keep Fitz anyway, and rightfully so. He bleeds NW and has built them respectable seasons. Someone mentioned NW donors and getting rid of Fitz, never going to happen. They donate academic, not athletic.

Iowa is not getting rid of Ferentz at that buyout. Otherwise they might be a player.

Nebraska and Wisconsin have a shot, and are the only 2 B1G teams that could make a case at this point.
Agreed. Neb will talk to Rhule. The talking heads claim Rhules camp is pushing for a meeting but who knows. I would be stoked for that. I think Wisconsin ends up going with their DC Jim Leonard. But if that doesnt materialize I think they go all in on Lance Leipold.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Why would Northwestern be crazy to get rid of Fitz? I'm not sure he is the coach everyone thinks he is and after Hankowitz left, he has been awful. It's interesting to go back and look and their decent years as they really beat no one of significance. Fitz is kind of a fraud and not the stud coach everyone thinks he is. I'd take your guy 1000000 times over than Fitz.
You might have a point, but the numbers say he's been pretty good. No one since pre-WWII has sustained any where near his level of success at Northwestern--not even Gary Barnett. I mean, in the last 10 years he's put together 3* more 10-win seasons than Purdue has ever had. I don't know if Brohm would do well at Northwestern. Maybe he would. But I could see a lot of good coaches struggling there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT