ADVERTISEMENT

We're close!

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
While I appreciate the optimism from the coaches and players, we're really not close at all imo. And I dont think one needs to watch the tape to see this.

Most everything comes much easier for the opponent than it does for us.

It's almost amazing how the opponent can easily overcome mistakes. If we have 1 penalty or a negative yardage play on offense, the drive is doomed.

Its not even surprising at this stage to see the opponent regularly in our backfield yet we can't muster any semblance of a pass rush with our front 5 at all.

Unfortunately, I dont see how were close at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, we aren’t close. There’s no consistency. Might be in position one play and can’t tackle. Then next play can’t line up and can’t cover. That’s coaching 1000%.

Defense looked good at times in second half but still could t stop the big play.

Offense looks consistent at times when they block and protect the QB. Issue is he’s got a guy in his face at least every other play. Not a recipient for success. 4 games in, nothings really getting better. Lost season at best hete. If he can’t win in year 2, he’s gotta go.

The RPO package with Card and Mosk/Tracy looked really good at points in the second half, but OL breakdowns doomed too many potential game-changing plays…IMO Card is a lethal weapon WHEN he has time, and he’s getting better and better at sensing when to pull it down and run.

The defense however is a flat-out disaster— zero ability to shed blocks and create pressure, no concept of down and distance, cowardly tackling, and a peewee- level understanding of assignment football.

I love the energy Walters projects as a head coach, but right now I see no evidence of a guy who can teach defensive football.

He looks to be someone who lucked into having multiple guys with NFL-level talent while at Illinois.

I REALLY hope to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the optimism from the coaches and players, we're really not close at all imo. And I dont think one needs to watch the tape to see this.

It's almost amazing how the opponent can easily overcome mistakes. If we have 1 penalty or a negative yardage play on offense, the drive is doomed.

Its not even surprising at this stage to see the opponent regularly in our backfield yet we can't muster any semblance of a pass rush with our front 5 at all.

The only thing we are close to is another losing season. I see what is going on as reruns that we had under no hope "HOPE" and equally hopeless "HAZELL"

close to becoming a bottom feeder program esp w/ the new Pac12 teams coming into the conference.

This 5-2 scheme isn’t working. It needs to be scrapped. We can’t set the edge or contain QBs in the pocket, and then it’s a huge gain when someone gets past the line of scrimmage. I thought it would be better against B1G power offenses but obviously not…

Reactions: purduepat1969
Sadly, I agree this is starting to look like another major rebuild. I guess the question now becomes will Walters be able make substantive improvements over time, or will he turn out to be a bunch of empty rhetoric like the Haze?

This is two prime time shellackings at home in as many weeks. Definitely not the start I was hoping for. I didn't expect a miracle in year one, but I did expect the team to be more competitive than it's shown the last two games.

Purdue desperately needs more strength and athleticism up front--on both sides of the ball. Until that happens, I don't see any tactical adjustments making that much of a difference. The last two weeks have probably hurt recruiting.

It is looking like a 1 or 2 win season which is far below expectations. I felt with the talent on this team 4 wins would have been suspect but 5 would have been respectable. 6 or 7 and wow we would have been cooking with peanut oil. I don't believe theres an excuse for this team not to win at least 3 more games with the talent on the roster. I understand our O and D lines are pretty below average and that's a huge issue but there is enough talent to win 4 games this season. Unfortunately, besides the final 2 games of the year, Purdue will struggle to be competitive based on what we've seen thus far. I said it before and I'll say it again... Getting Darrell Hazel vibes with Walters thus far.

Edit: Also Va Tech is currently losing to Marshall and Syracuse is losing to Army... Big Yikes.

It is looking like a 1 or 2 win season which is far below expectations. I felt with the talent on this team 4 wins would have been suspect but 5 would have been respectable. 6 or 7 and wow we would have been cooking with peanut oil. I don't believe theres an excuse for this team not to win at least 3 more games with the talent on the roster. I understand our O and D lines are pretty below average and that's a huge issue but there is enough talent to win 4 games this season. Unfortunately, besides the final 2 games of the year, Purdue will struggle to be competitive based on what we've seen thus far. I said it before and I'll say it again... Getting Darrell Hazel vibes with Walters thus far.

Edit: Also Va Tech is currently losing to Marshall and Syracuse is losing to Army... Big Yikes.

Purdue won't beat IU if they keep playing like this. The only win I'd say is highly likely is NW.

Virginia Tech is absolutely horrific and Purdue barely pulled out that win.

Reactions: pboiler18

I don’t totally agree. I saw some good changes in the second half both defensively and offensively but still have a ways to go.

I haven't posted in a long time, mostly because Internet sports message boards are a cesspool not worth the money, but I'll say this and then go back into hibernation, the only long term hope is that the recruiting we've seen so far bears serious fruit in the next two seasons, because on either side of the ball, we do not remotely have the players to play the schemes these coaches are forcing to be played. Nor have I seen anything from these coaches to give me confidence in their abilities.

We have no single coverage guys to run man as much as we do, we can't get pressure with 4-5 rushers, and our linebackers are flat out bad. I'd prefer they just send the house on more YOLO plays versus the steady and easy scoring we've given up so far with no apparent lessons learned. We spend a whole game getting faked out by QB runs and then our first two scores against us are QB fakes and runs. We have yet to solve third and anything on defense. Because we can't get pressure and our guys can't cover.

Our oline can't pass or run block, our receivers struggle to get open, Tracey is the only running back doing positive things and right now, I would take any Brohm QB over Card and it's not particularly close. Is he horrible? No. However, he's way too inconsistent with his accuracy, doesn't seem to have a great feel on when to leave the pocket (usually a step too early or too late), and the play calling is unimaginative to say the least (do we have slants in this offense because I rarely see it). We have decent receivers but either they can't get open regularly or our aforementioned pass blocking and QB accuracy slash decision making problems mean we can't hit them when they are. And if I see one more pass to the wide side of the field for a two yard game...

We could easily be 0-4 right now and there's a real shot we maybe win 1-2 more games this season.

If I were seeing changes and progress, it would be one thing, but our QB has almost doubled digit turnovers the last two games, our darling RB has played poorly, no alpha receiver has emerged, and our best defensive player is our safety who lines up 25 yards off the ball.

Folks will get upset but I'm not sure this isn't Hazel level performance right now without the clock management issues (although we've had some of those too).

No one gets fired first season nor should they, but I am glad we are paying peanuts for this coaching staff because it will be easier to break away after two seasons if next year looks a lot like this one.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I haven't posted in a long time, mostly because Internet sports message boards are a cesspool not worth the money, but I'll say this and then go back into hibernation, the only long term hope is that the recruiting we've seen so far bears serious fruit in the next two seasons, because on either side of the ball, we do not remotely have the players to play the schemes these coaches are forcing to be played. Nor have I seen anything from these coaches to give me confidence in their abilities.

We have no single coverage guys to run man as much as we do, we can't get pressure with 4-5 rushers, and our linebackers are flat out bad. I'd prefer they just send the house on more YOLO plays versus the steady and easy scoring we've given up so far with no apparent lessons learned. We spend a whole game getting faked out by QB runs and then our first two scores against us are QB fakes and runs. We have yet to solve third and anything on defense. Because we can't get pressure and our guys can't cover.

Our oline can't pass or run block, our receivers struggle to get open, Tracey is the only running back doing positive things and right now, I would take any Brohm QB over Card and it's not particularly close. Is he horrible? No. However, he's way too inconsistent with his accuracy, doesn't seem to have a great feel on when to leave the pocket (usually a step too early or too late), and the play calling is unimaginative to say the least (do we have slants in this offense because I rarely see it). We have decent receivers but either they can't get open regularly or our aforementioned pass blocking and QB accuracy slash decision making problems mean we can't hit them when they are. And if I see one more pass to the wide side of the field for a two yard game...

We could easily be 0-4 right now and there's a real shot we maybe win 1-2 more games this season.

If I were seeing changes and progress, it would be one thing, but our QB has almost doubled digit turnovers the last two games, our darling RB has played poorly, no alpha receiver has emerged, and our best defensive player is our safety who lines up 25 yards off the ball.

Folks will get upset but I'm not sure this isn't Hazel level performance right now without the clock management issues (although we've had some of those too).

No one gets fired first season nor should they, but I am glad we are paying peanuts for this coaching staff because it will be easier to break away after two seasons if next year looks a lot like this one.

I agree, this coaching staff has no clue what these players can do. They put them in positions where they have no chance.

This will go down as the Bobinski Blunder. We need to line up a new coach the middle of next season. Unless miraculously these coaches get a clue.

As an Illinois fan, I think you’re being too hard on Walters. He’s not as good as he looked last year with half of his secondary being top 100 NFL draft picks, but he’s way better than you’re giving him credit for.

Brohm left him little talent, especially on the lines. Nick Saban wouldn’t be 2-2 with that roster. It will get better but you can’t expect him to work a miracle in 6 months.

I do think he may need to make some staff changes. At Illinois, he had two other former DCs on his defensive staff. Now, half his staff doesn’t have prior experience as a high major assistant. That’s really hard on a first time HC.

I agree, this coaching staff has no clue what these players can do. They put them in positions where they have no chance.

This will go down as the Bobinski Blunder. We need to line up a new coach the middle of next season. Unless miraculously these coaches get a clue.
My you people are such complainers. What the heck did you expect when a team changes offensive and defensive schemes, coaches and players. Give the coaches more than a fleeting moment. Walter’s was hired late and had little time on the recruiting trail. Brohm had not recruited well his last two seasons and left a lot of bad players which left the program. He hit the portal hard because not much was left to recruit from high schools. Purdue’s schedule is anything but kind this year. He will need several recruiting classes to get players that better fit their schemes. Many of his portal recruits will have multiple years to develop and get stronger. Purdue will take most of this year to find itself. The second half of the Wisconsin game was for the most part very promising for both players and coaches. Both lines are not physically strong enough yet to compete with the big boys. We are playing guards as tackles safety’s as cornerbacks. Miller is still not fully back (new dislocated finger). Just started to get Gus back. Josh has been back just one week. For goodness sake be a supportive fan. Go Boilers !

Reactions: Mobes and rgarlitz
My you people are such complainers. What the heck did you expect when a team changes offensive and defensive schemes, coaches and players. Give the coaches more than a fleeting moment. Walter’s was hired late and had little time on the recruiting trail. Brohm had not recruited well his last two seasons and left a lot of bad players which left the program. He hit the portal hard because not much was left to recruit from high schools. Purdue’s schedule is anything but kind this year. He will need several recruiting classes to get players that better fit their schemes. Many of his portal recruits will have multiple years to develop and get stronger. Purdue will take most of this year to find itself. The second half of the Wisconsin game was for the most part very promising for both players and coaches. Both lines are not physically strong enough yet to compete with the big boys. We are playing guards as tackles safety’s as cornerbacks. Miller is still not fully back (new dislocated finger). Just started to get Gus back. Josh has been back just one week. For goodness sake be a supportive fan. Go Boilers !
Been a rough couple weeks. Thanks for pulling me back from the ledge!

Reactions: Kocher101

In today's game, no one gets 3 or 4 recruiting cycles with the portal. He'll need to show significant improvement next season or the writing will be on the wall...

In today's game, no one gets 3 or 4 recruiting cycles with the portal. He'll need to show significant improvement next season or the writing will be on the wall...
With the portal, if you can’t turn it around in 2 years, you’re never going to.

Talent will start fleeing like rats off a sinking ship when it looks like we won’t be any good for awhile.

What no one wants to admit is this is the Citrus Bowl team with a new quarterback. I was there, seeing deficiencies in size, speed, and athleticism. The portal at best this year is to patch up a semblance of depth. It's unfair to blame Ryan Walters for the team he was given. It may not be an easy fix, it certainly wasn't going to happen in a few months.

Walters future will be determined if the board of directors can live with 30k people in Ross Ade. When Cordova was pres that was acceptable. Mitch turned that around. Not a real warm feeling with Mung. Firing college coaches mid season seems to be the new trend. IMO this has all the similarities of Hazell 2.0

What no one wants to admit is this is the Citrus Bowl team with a new quarterback. I was there, seeing deficiencies in size, speed, and athleticism. The portal at best this year is to patch up a semblance of depth. It's unfair to blame Ryan Walters for the team he was given. It may not be an easy fix, it certainly wasn't going to happen in a few months.
Yeah but that disparity was vs a Top 10 SEC team. Of course all of those things are going to be wildly evident. Take away our 6 best players and of course we are going to look bad.

What you discount is after a recruiting class, a portal class, a spring and fall camp…we look worse. We haven’t played a top 10 SEC team this year and we still look lost with a top QB, good DL transfers, etc.

There’s a long long road of bad bad football ahead of us.

I think there’s an arguement if we were still bad but getting the most out of the talent we have. At this point we aren’t getting the most out of the Defense or offense…and that’s what’s most concerning.

I will give Harrell credit on some of the adjustments made on Friday. It was better…but was still only 17 points and too many stalled drives to penalties and mental errors.

The defense…sheesh. We can’t even get lined up properly more than half the time.

Although it doesn't help us, watching part of the OSU-Notre Dame game, I saw both at times playing like Purdue, unable to score from the couple of yard line on multiple plays and long runs and passes against them. So although it's bad, other teams also make mistakes. The Big10 west is a mess, perhaps we can win a few games. I'm now just looking for continuous improvement each week.

Although it doesn't help us, watching part of the OSU-Notre Dame game, I saw both at times playing like Purdue, unable to score from the couple of yard line on multiple plays and long runs and passes against them. So although it's bad, other teams also make mistakes. The Big10 west is a mess, perhaps we can win a few games. I'm now just looking for continuous improvement each week.
Yes the Norte Dame coaching staff lost the game last night. Only 10 players on the field on the winning last play, and a three man rush on a previous play or two. Having success on defense then try something else that failed. Any team that goes to a three man rush, the coach should be fired immediately. It never works!

Reactions: bonefish1
some strange play calling on both teams. nd has that bowling ball rb to use on 4th and 1 but decide that their GQ QB is a better option. Day could have called QB sneaks on 2 occasions but decide to wait for a 4th down pass from the one and a slow jet swept on another instance. OC Parker called pass plays that went incomp to stop the clock on the last drive. Also noticed that nd DB's used the ole NWestrn DB technique of grabbing a jersey for awhile to hang w/ the osu wr's. Obuka's dropped TD pass almost bit them.

Your last point is the key--in my opinion--why I think the Haze comparisons are premature. Can the staff maximize what's available on this roster? Can they facilitate consistent, incremental improvement? Those are still open questions.

As rough as this start has been, I keep reminding myself that this was never going to be a great team. We haven't seen consistent competitiveness yet, but there are still 8 games for the staff to show improvement.

Totally agree,but when you see inexperienced coaching and poor coaching at the same time, it is concerning. We have defensive players that are

A true sign of poor coaching is penalties and turnovers (and repeatedly being beat on QB keepers when the D end responsible for the QB has no idea where the ball is).
This might be a bad year salvaged by a win against iu.

A true sign of poor coaching is penalties and turnovers (and repeatedly being beat on QB keepers when the D end responsible for the QB has no idea where the ball is).
This might be a bad year salvaged by a win against iu.
yea, even NW is playing w/ a pulse

Well, I'm glad to see you are alive. Guessing maybe 4 or 5 years since you posted or that I saw a post from you.

wondering whatever happened to Augie85, was a good poster, hope he is OK
Lost Pitbull for a few months as well and I hope he is fine. FWIW, Doc just going to monitor and maybe do another biopsy in 6 months to a year. It is very small and nothing was found were the MRI indicated it would be, but did find it elsewhere. Tissue being sent to genomics to see what kind of cancer it is which will probably indicate the direction. As of now, no surgery or radiation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT