ADVERTISEMENT

Well we're getting permanent light before next season

Turns out our hand was forced by the new TV deal. Shock.

Ha yes I liked how they put that in there almost as if to say "Hey, we're getting them because we had to. Don't expect us to use them any more than necessary." In fact, they almost did say just that:

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101416aaa.html

“The pending Big Ten Conference media rights agreements will require that all stadiums have permanent lighting,” vice president and athletics director Mike Bobinski said. “As the league has expanded and the number of conference games has increased, it’s become necessary to have more flexibility for kickoff times throughout the season at all stadiums. Adding permanent lights does not mean an influx of night games, but we certainly will have some in the years ahead. Lights also are needed for 3:30 p.m. starts once the season moves into October and beyond.”

Great. Next year as the DH2 era continues we can schedule our games with the potential to be blown out at night so we can just throw the switch to off when it gets ugly.

IU was so smug about their big south endzone enclosure project....this ought to shut them up for a while (TIC).

Expect Purdue to petition for 10AM starts to avoid any increase in the electric bill that night games would surely bring.
anything in the new TV deal outlawing yellowish-brown playing surfaces?

Missing lights seems to be a popular root cause for fan apathy on this board. Whatever the rationale, glad it's been struck from the list.

Missing lights seems to be a popular root cause for fan apathy on this board. Whatever the rationale, glad it's been struck from the list.
I am guessing you don't have children who play travel sports?

I can't go to a day game until November due to my kids sports on Saturday afternoons. I could go to any games that start after 7 pm on Saturday.

If we get one additional night game a year on average, that's one more game a year I can go to. I am guessing I'm not the only one in that boat.

Not to mention the positive impact for recruiting.

I am guessing you don't have children who play travel sports?

I can't go to a day game until November due to my kids sports on Saturday afternoons. I could go to any games that start after 7 pm on Saturday.

If we get one additional night game a year on average, that's one more game a year I can go to. I am guessing I'm not the only one in that boat.

Not to mention the positive impact for recruiting.

especially given that we aren't allowed to use the one major advantage we had in recruiting...flying kids in to the Purdue airport!

I have three, I understand the Saturday conflicts. I also live a few hours away, so attending every home game is challenging regardless of kick-off time.

I think it's great they'll have lights. I just don't think the lights will open a floodgate of attendance.
I concur. Doesn't matter if we play in a shiny new stadium or an old crap one with or without lights. If you want to kick up attendance you better be able to win some games and look competitive in the ones that you don't.

oh boy, lights. i just love getting home after 1 am following a night game.

So the Big Ten mandated that Purdue have lights. Now they need to mandate that some of these sucky Big Ten teams actually do something to improve their rosters. Teams like Rutgers, Illinois and Purdue are awful.

So the Big Ten mandated that Purdue have lights. Now they need to mandate that some of these sucky Big Ten teams actually do something to improve their rosters. Teams like Rutgers, Illinois and Purdue are awful.

I actually wish they would do this. The NBA has a salary cap floor prevent owners from being cheap. The b10 should have a football expenditure floor to prevent Purdue bot/ad from being cheap

I actually wish they would do this. The NBA has a salary cap floor prevent owners from being cheap. The b10 should have a football expenditure floor to prevent Purdue bot/ad from being cheap
You mean the Mike Brown rule? (Another cheap MB, haha)

Pretty good idea
Wonder if there is some unwritten rule / agreement already that the general public does not know

I agree........Prefer early starts! Tough driving home after cocktails that late.
You need lights to play 330 games too. I think Purdue needs to push for more afternoon games. Honestly think ncaa needs to adopt nfl time slots. Noon est suck for Central time zone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT