ADVERTISEMENT

Well, Miami fired Al Golden

Aug 17, 2014
Golden was 4-3 this year....there's gonna be some good coaching jobs opening up this year. Purdue better make a move on a new coach now or we're gonna be left out in the cold again.

Reactions: Redhotfill
Golden was 4-3 this year....there's gonna be some good coaching jobs opening up this year. Purdue better make a move on a new coach now or we're gonna be left out in the cold again.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but it feels like there's a lot of openings for the time period (and only 1 is really "controversy" related with USC).

If Purdue is going to make a move, they will probably need to by mid-November.

Reactions: ahhculdee
lbodel, you are forgetting Beckman at Illinois as far as controversy.

What does an early move do? Purdue isnt going to beat anyone to the punch.Good candidates will wait.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Purdue and Miami won't be competing for the same candidates regardless of timing. Maybe Purdue and Illinois

Reactions: pboiler18
Burke totally out of his element. He does not have a clue. Went with hire by committee for Hazell. Why the hell he let Tressell lead the hiring process I have no idea.

We're going to get stuck with someone even worse than Hazell. Ugh.

We're going to get stuck with someone even worse than Hazell. Ugh.
Are you retarded?

A. Don't know how it could get worse

B. There are lots of good coaches that will be available. Any guy that would go to Miami would have been likely to not be interested in our job anyways.

Unfortunately, that's the type of coach you are going to get if you want to go after a guy at Purdue.

The only other option I can see actually mirrors what they did at South Carolina prior to Spurrier going there. Remember they hired Lou Hotlz to make it appear that they were committed to getting the program on track. He struggled BUT proved that it could be a place for big coaches and success. His seasons at South Carolina are as follows:
1999: 0 - 11
2000: 8 - 4
2001: 9 - 3
2002: 5 - 7
2003: 5 - 7
2004: 6 - 6

If Purdue can find a coach like that, they can establish some success and get a bigger name coach down the road. Similar to Holtz now would be Mack Brown who is currently an ESPN analyst and former UT coach

We'll still be stuck with Hazell, so not worse the same.

Are you retarded?

B. There are lots of good coaches that will be available. Any guy that would go to Miami would have been likely to not be interested in our job anyways.
We could be Kansas, and I doubt we even get Dino Babers now. With the administration we have, we will settle for a second-rate, second-tier, cheap coach.

Purdue will wait until last minute after all decent coaches are all gone and filled their staffs. Just like when they allowed Hazell to coach the bowl game @ Kent St. which IMO costs him recruits and the possibility of acquiring a decent staff. Which is how we were stuck with Shoop.

Are you retarded?

Plus it's not that we're competing with Miami for coaches, it's the trickle down. Better coaches will take over the vacant jobs.

Purdue will wait until last minute after all decent coaches are all gone and filled their staffs. Just like when they allowed Hazell to coach the bowl game @ Kent St. which IMO costs him recruits and the possibility of acquiring a decent staff. Which is how we were stuck with Shoop.
This is what is pissing me off so much. I wish I could do something, but I can't.

Purdue and Miami won't be competing for the same candidates regardless of timing. Maybe Purdue and Illinois

I don't know about that, was listening on the radio and they were saying how bad Miami's facilities are anymore and their stadium situation is becoming a real problem. Seems a lot of people are starting to wonder if they will ever be able to climb back up again. Someone commented that Florida Atlantic facilities and stadium setup is better (might've been an exaggeration, but says how far Miami has fallen and they have to make a major facilities investment to even attempt to crawl out with the in state competition they have alone).

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
I don't know about that, was listening on the radio and they were saying how bad Miami's facilities are anymore and their stadium situation is becoming a real problem. Seems a lot of people are starting to wonder if they will ever be able to climb back up again. Someone commented that Florida Atlantic facilities and stadium setup is better (might've been an exaggeration, but says how far Miami has fallen and they have to make a major facilities investment to even attempt to crawl out with the in state competition they have alone).

This is VERY true. No on campus stadium, no big time winning for years and average to poor on campus facilities for players have made Miami a tough place to win. USCe and USCw are both better places for a top tier coach to land this offseason IMO.

I think you're going a little overboard here. Purdue DID wait to hire assistants, but that isn't that anomalous. Most teams hire their assistants in January.

Purdue hired Hazell pretty early in the coaching carousel. Sure, he shouldn't have been allowed to stay and coach the bowl but thats not what is hurting Purdue long term. It's just a point for you to whine about...that's it.

IF Purdue moves on, I would assume it's because they already have a deal in place and Hazell was unwilling to take an extension with reduced buyout terms. In that case, they should move on. IF they do move on, they will probably have to pay the next guy a little more than they even paid Hazell to get a mid level coach here....or upwards of $3mil if they want to snag a top HC candidate....as that is what Miami was roughly paying Golden ($2.5mil+)

Purdue is considered a "Bottom Tier" Job

http://www.campusrush.com/al-golden-miami-usc-coaching-corousel-1423076703.html

".......the recent announcement of $60 million in football facility upgrades, which will be done by August 2017. (One couldn't help think Purdue announced those facility upgrades last week as a message to attract Hazell's replacement.)"

They are so off base in that article. Sorry, Purdue is a better job than Maryland in just about every regard other than recruiting.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
lbodel, you are forgetting Beckman at Illinois as far as controversy.

What does an early move do? Purdue isnt going to beat anyone to the punch.Good candidates will wait.
Forgot about him since I guess that happened before the season even started.

The idea is not that you'd hire someone new right now. Obviously current coaches will not move jobs until at least the regular season is complete.

However, that isn't to say nothing is being done.

First off, internally, you can get your ducks in a row. You can still do this without publicly firing someone, but it's a lot easier when you don't have to keep it a secret (and you will also avoid embarrassment if it does leak). You have to get funding, a strategy, etc. When you have to keep those things to a minimal because of secrecy, it's less efficient.

Secondly, if you think Maryland is sitting on its hands right now, you're mistaken. There is constantly talk between agents of coaches about potential jobs and you can actually basically have an acceptable contract put together before a school official contacts the coach directly. This is all done through intermediaries.

Reactions: Statey
Forgot about him since I guess that happened before the season even started.

The idea is not that you'd hire someone new right now. Obviously current coaches will not move jobs until at least the regular season is complete.

However, that isn't to say nothing is being done.

First off, internally, you can get your ducks in a row. You can still do this without publicly firing someone, but it's a lot easier when you don't have to keep it a secret (and you will also avoid embarrassment if it does leak). You have to get funding, a strategy, etc. When you have to keep those things to a minimal because of secrecy, it's less efficient.

Secondly, if you think Maryland is sitting on its hands right now, you're mistaken. There is constantly talk between agents of coaches about potential jobs and you can actually basically have an acceptable contract put together before a school official contacts the coach directly. This is all done through intermediaries.
The expectation now is that we've learned from our poor execution the last time when Hope was replaced and are getting our ducks in a row and working behind the scenes to make a much smoother and effective transition this time. The pile was pretty well picked over by the time we got around to making Hazell an offer.

I've read that MD is benefiting from having the CEO of Under Armor (an MD alum) funding the program much like Nike and Oregon. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand why it is considered such a coveted job.

They are so off base in that article. Sorry, Purdue is a better job than Maryland in just about every regard other than recruiting.

sorry but I think they may have it right. They have a MAJOR booster in the Under Armour CEO, and a $165 million facilities upgrade. 1 day they are predicting they will be like Oregon of the east. In Maryland you have the ACC territory to recruit in as well, vs Purdue trying to out recruit OSU, Mich, MSU, ND for recruits in the midwest. Plus its not like we have anything to hang our hat on for the last 10 years performance wise on the field.

The expectation now is that we've learned from our poor execution the last time when Hope was replaced and are getting our ducks in a row and working behind the scenes to make a much smoother and effective transition this time. The pile was pretty well picked over by the time we got around to making Hazell an offer.

I've read that MD is benefiting from having the CEO of Under Armor (an MD alum) funding the program much like Nike and Oregon. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand why it is considered such a coveted job.

As someone who is in the DC area, the CEO of Under Armour certainly donates to Maryland, but saying it is "funding" the program is way overstated. Maryland's Under Armour contract is not much different than other UA schools and they pay for a lot of what they produce. It'd be no different than Purdue paying Nike for all of these different uniforms (which we do - they're just crappy designs). Obviously it makes sense that UA is not going to fully invest in a program that's struggling - they don't want their name associated with crap football.

Also, who called it a coveted job? Maryland has long struggled to fill a 50,000 seat stadium, even during their best years. It's in a good region for recruiting and it's a Big Ten job, but it's not a heckuva lot better than Purdue.

sorry but I think they may have it right. They have a MAJOR booster in the Under Armour CEO, and a $165 million facilities upgrade. 1 day they are predicting they will be like Oregon of the east. In Maryland you have the ACC territory to recruit in as well, vs Purdue trying to out recruit OSU, Mich, MSU, ND for recruits in the midwest. Plus its not like we have anything to hang our hat on for the last 10 years performance wise on the field.

HA!

As someone living in the DC area, Maryland fans love to tout a lot of what you're spewing, yet it hasn't produced any results. You know the coach they just fired? His debut game was the game that Maryland wore their most "famous" UA jerseys. Fast forward a few years and they have a losing record and a fired coach mid-season.

Yes, they're doing a $165 million facilities upgrade. But do you know they don't even have an indoor practice facility now?

Their last stadium upgrade was a press box with a bunch of suites that pretty much bankrupted the athletic department because they couldn't sell any of them.

And a good crowd for them is 30,000.

And for you to say it's easier for Maryland to recruit in their region is laughable. They created a whole campaign because they couldn't get recruits in their area. A valiant effort, but it's still not an overly coveted school to go to. Of the top 10 recruits in DC, 1 is going to Maryland. The top recruits are going to Alabama and Florida State. Of the top 10 recruits in Maryland, 1 is going to Maryland. You know where the other 9 are going? Ohio State, Georgia (2), Miami, Penn State, Texas, South Carolina, VA Tech and West Virginia. Don't think I'd call those schools much easier competition.

Maryland ad shits cash. They will figure it out eventually
Maryland is going to be a loser in the coaching carousel pecking order.

They are playing for 5th place in East Division on an annual basis. That isn't going to attract name coaches....regardless of what they are paying.

Maryland is going to be a loser in the coaching carousel pecking order.

They are playing for 5th place in East Division on an annual basis. That isn't going to attract name coaches....regardless of what they are paying.

Maryland recently cut sports because they were flat out broke. They were practically begging to join the Big Ten because they were in such horrible financial shape. I don't know where people get the "facts" they spew.

Maryland recently cut sports because they were flat out broke. They were practically begging to join the Big Ten because they were in such horrible financial shape. I don't know where people get the "facts" they spew.
It's interesting that there are a number of articles that have been written that review the coaching openings and most, if not all of them, mention MD as a desirable post just behind USC and Miami. I don't get it either. I'm more concerned that folks on this board seem to think that we should not move on Hazell because there is going to be so much competition for coaches. IMO we'd better get used to that because that's likely to be the way it is for the foreseeable future. Most ADs recognize the need not to allow their football program to flounder for long due to the difficulty of trying to resurrect it and the cost to it financially and its reputation. We are definitely the exception in terms of tolerance for poor performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT