ADVERTISEMENT

Week One Depth Chart

Nat has a point. We need at least half of our roster to be 4 and 5 star recruits just to be on thr short list of about 15 teams who have a legitimate shot at a national title. Then we basically have to be the one lucky team out of that bunch that goes 12-1 and gets to play against the OSUs, Bamas and Clemsons in the playoffs.
Purdue just needs to go undefeated in the regular season to make the playoffs. If a few games go our way this season then it's possible(perhaps not probable).

I don't see us winning a game in the playoff but I think it's definitely possible to get there.

UCF says hello. (Remember all the people here who said should be playing for a NC?)

While it's unlikely we'll be playing for a NC, it's nobody's job to make sure fans keep their expectations in check.

So, no, there wasn't a point in urinating in someone's Cheerios.

What does a mid major going 13-0 have to do with Purdue, a B1G team? I love that UCF claims a National Title, but Purdue won't get the chance to play UCF's schedule.

Not sure I understand why Jared Sparks is #1 on the depth chart. But I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I hope we see BIG improvements in his game. Last year wasn't great with all the drops and lack of separation from opposing cornerbacks. Hope to see Bell and Wright get a good amount of minutes in the game.

I think a telling sign about the depth of both sides of the line is there are a couple of players, such as McCann and Cornel Jones listed as starting at one position and then at the back up at another position. In another year with Brohms recruiting that won’t be the case, but this year may result in late game fatigue and risk with injuries.

Purdue just needs to go undefeated in the regular season to make the playoffs. If a few games go our way this season then it's possible(perhaps not probable).

I don't see us winning a game in the playoff but I think it's definitely possible to get there.

Just go undefeated, thats all. What, 1 team per year gets through the 12 game regular season 12-0? We just have to be that one. Easy.

While you are correct in that it is "possible" I would give you whatever odds you wanted thst it won't.

Reactions: Purdue85
I think a telling sign about the depth of both sides of the line is there are a couple of players, such as McCann and Cornel Jones listed as starting at one position and then at the back up at another position. In another year with Brohms recruiting that won’t be the case, but this year may result in late game fatigue and risk with injuries.

What does Cornell Jones have to do with the depth on either line?

Just go undefeated, thats all. What, 1 team per year gets through the 12 game regular season 12-0? We just have to be that one. Easy.

While you are correct in that it is "possible" I would give you whatever odds you wanted thst it won't.
Well, this season our schedule is less difficult than usual.

If a few games happen to go our way in the 4 games against ranked opponents and we beat the unranked opponents with better than expected play from key positions like QB and OL then it could happen.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but there seems to be a lot variance in the performance from the team. None of us can forget that game against Ohio State, right?
If they played to that level every game then it's not so far fetched.

Well, this season our schedule is less difficult than usual.

If a few games happen to go our way in the 4 games against ranked opponents and we beat the unranked opponents with better than expected play from key positions like QB and OL then it could happen.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but there seems to be a lot variance in the performance from the team. None of us can forget that game against Ohio State, right?
If they played to that level every game then it's not so far fetched.
You conveniently are forgetting the Eastern Michigan game too, huh? Variance goes both ways.

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler

While I do love the optimism you show, that's like me saying that if a supermodel knocked on my door and said she wanted to marry me, then I might be able to say that I married a supermodel.

Joking aside, this schedule isn't impossible but what it does have is several opportunities. Outside of the Penn State game I'd be disappointed if we were not competitive in every one. I really think the range of number of wins is very wide.

While I do love the optimism you show, that's like me saying that if a supermodel knocked on my door and said she wanted to marry me, then I might be able to say that I married a supermodel.

I don't see why we wouldn't be competitive against Penn St. Personally, I think we'll be more competitive against them than Wisconsin.

Joking aside, this schedule isn't impossible but what it does have is several opportunities. Outside of the Penn State game I'd be disappointed if we were not competitive in every one. I really think the range of number of wins is very wide.

Not sure I understand why Jared Sparks is #1 on the depth chart. But I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I hope we see BIG improvements in his game. Last year wasn't great with all the drops and lack of separation from opposing cornerbacks. Hope to see Bell and Wright get a good amount of minutes in the game.

I look for Sparks to have a pretty solid season. Keep in mind that a lot of his patterns last year were into coverage areas, unlike Zico getting more single coverage opportunities. If Bell(or Milton, etc) are sent on the same routes they'll likely have similar numbers.

Why?
This is a general questions... What's with people on this forum? Why try to talk down the enthusiasm?

If we're good enough to contend for a B1G, contending for the NC isn't far off.
What would be helpful, here, would be precise definitions of:

1)contender
2)good enough
3)far off

PERHAPS not probable that Purdue will go 13-0 ?????
PERHAPS not probable that a Clydesdale will win the 2020 Kentucky Derby

There are 3 teams i'd bet on any given year to win a national championship. This year Bama, Clemson, and Georgia are head & shoulders better than everyone. OSU at 5th and LSU at 6th are not even in the same category.

Back to the original topic - the depth chart does give plenty of hope for what is and what's to come. Lots of talent we didn't have before and lots of talent that will be here for a few years. Great building blocks.

There are 3 teams i'd bet on any given year to win a national championship. This year Bama, Clemson, and Georgia are head & shoulders better than everyone. OSU at 5th and LSU at 6th are not even in the same category.

Back to the original topic - the depth chart does give plenty of hope for what is and what's to come. Lots of talent we didn't have before and lots of talent that will be here for a few years. Great building blocks.
Who is 4th

I think there is a happy medium here that we can hope for. From everything I have ever heard from coaches, getting from 4 wins to 6-7 wins is hard, but doable. Getting from 7 wins to 9 wins is really hard and it takes at least 3 to 4 years usually to pull that off. Sometimes that can be done faster, but there are lots of factors that can go into that (being in a fertile recruiting ground, ie Florida, would be a huge factor, etc.). That jump from 9 wins to 11 / 12 is nearly bloody impossible.

Take Georgia, for example. Under Richt they were consistently a top 20 program and were kicking out 9-10 win seasons most years. Georgia has fertile recruiting ground, the "SEC hype", and a large football budget. Only now, after about two decades are they finally starting to break through into the NC contention discussion.

I think Brohm can get us to 8-9 wins by 2020 through 2022. From there we will have to see if A) He can keep an upward trend in recruiting and B) Stay here to see it through and C) We can get a few lucky breaks. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it is not going to happen in the next two years.

What does a mid major going 13-0 have to do with Purdue, a B1G team? I love that UCF claims a National Title, but Purdue won't get the chance to play UCF's schedule.

My point should have been apparent from my post.

I agree with you about UCF's schedule, but not their claim to a NC.

Again, my point remains. (See the Cheerios reference, above.)

I look for Sparks to have a pretty solid season. Keep in mind that a lot of his patterns last year were into coverage areas, unlike Zico getting more single coverage opportunities. If Bell(or Milton, etc) are sent on the same routes they'll likely have similar numbers.

Disagree. He dropped some long balls and didn't get separation from the defender often enough. He had Rondale Moore that was generally double teamed. Hopefully, he'll show some good improvement. But I would be willing to bet David Bell starts eating into his minutes.

Disagree. He dropped some long balls and didn't get separation from the defender often enough. He had Rondale Moore that was generally double teamed. Hopefully, he'll show some good improvement. But I would be willing to bet David Bell starts eating into his minutes.

I think we all expect the starters to be Moore, Bell and Wright- maybe as early as week 2. Just depends how week 1 goes really.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Agree that Bell will take minutes at that spot, and likely the starting position before long. Just pointing out that Sparks didn't benefit in quite the same way as Zico through Moore's presence on the field. Not favoring or putting down either one - just an observation about the differences in their positions on the offense.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT