ADVERTISEMENT

Week One Depth Chart

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
Not sure I understand why Jared Sparks is #1 on the depth chart. But I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I hope we see BIG improvements in his game. Last year wasn't great with all the drops and lack of separation from opposing cornerbacks. Hope to see Bell and Wright get a good amount of minutes in the game.

Not sure I understand why Jared Sparks is #1 on the depth chart. But I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I hope we see BIG improvements in his game. Last year wasn't great with all the drops and lack of separation from opposing cornerbacks. Hope to see Bell and Wright get a good amount of minutes in the game.

Sindelar is a damn giant......

Looking forward to seeing these young guys earn more playing time.

Will be curious to see what the depth chart looks like at the end of the season.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Wow. To actually see all of the SO, R-FR and FR's on the two-deep chart leads me to believe that Purdue will have one of the youngest P5 teams in the country this season. As they develop, and as we recruit even more depth, Western Division, B1G, and National Championships are reasonable aspirations. Can't believe that I just wrote that given where we are coming from just a few years ago!
Boiler Up and we'll see folks in Reno!

Wow. To actually see all of the SO, R-FR and FR's on the two-deep chart leads me to believe that Purdue will have one of the youngest P5 teams in the country this season. As they develop, and as we recruit even more depth, Western Division, B1G, and National Championships are reasonable aspirations. Can't believe that I just wrote that given where we are coming from just a few years ago!
Boiler Up and we'll see folks in Reno!

Slow it down. The level of talent necessary to compete for the national championship is astounding.

I imagine Sparks is starting due to experience and Bell's summer injury slowing him down. I imagine this will change over the course of the year.

Bell & Wright not starting does not mean they won't play. I'd actually expect to see a lot of them.
Not even Rondale started his first game. Makes George and Graham starting all the more impressive.

I imagine Sparks is starting due to experience and Bell's summer injury slowing him down. I imagine this will change over the course of the year.
This. I am super concerned about our o line though. Last thing we need is Sindelar getting andrew-lucked.

Too soon? (TIC)

Its surprising how far off Deinhart was just a few days ago with his projections.
Had Wright, Marks, Thieneman, Alexander all starting, and Anderson as backup in the slot.

Slow it down. The level of talent necessary to compete for the national championship is astounding.
I believe that much of life is self-fulfilling. If we don't imagine it, we'll never achieve it.
I agree that NCs are huge lifts. But the recruiting momentum and player development are rapidly moving in the right direction.
Just as with Joe Tiller's staff, this staff has experience in the league, and assessing and developing talent to get players to the league causes future recruits to want a part of that future as well. It can be a virtuous cycle (Tiller, Brohm (TBD)), or a death spiral (Hazell).
Our key sports (football, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball) all have the highest levels of support from the admin and board. In addition to the capabilities of the coaching staff, this is a difference maker that positively impacts the future of athletics at Purdue.
So let's believe in NCs in multiple sports. When that occurs and we have the right personnel (coaches, players, admin, board) in place, great things happen!

I believe that much of life is self-fulfilling. If we don't imagine it, we'll never achieve it.
I agree that NCs are huge lifts. But the recruiting momentum and player development are rapidly moving in the right direction.
Just as with Joe Tiller's staff, this staff has experience in the league, and assessing and developing talent to get players to the league causes future recruits to want a part of that future as well. It can be a virtuous cycle (Tiller, Brohm (TBD)), or a death spiral (Hazell).
Our key sports (football, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball) all have the highest levels of support from the admin and board. In addition to the capabilities of the coaching staff, this is a difference maker that positively impacts the future of athletics at Purdue.
So let's believe in NCs in multiple sports. When that occurs and we have the right personnel (coaches, players, admin, board) in place, great things happen!
I think we can win one in basketball. I think it will take a couple decades (or more) of high level winning to compete for one in football. Certain schools have infrastructure in place ($$$$$) to compete at the highest levels and have every incentive to make the table stakes almost unbearable for anyone else.

It certainly doesn't much matter who starts at WR. We will likely play as many as 10 guys throughout the game. What is unfortunate is how Doerue's name was spelled wrong.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I think we can win one in basketball. I think it will take a couple decades (or more) of high level winning to compete for one in football. Certain schools have infrastructure in place ($$$$$) to compete at the highest levels and have every incentive to make the table stakes almost unbearable for anyone else.
In its first five years, 2015-2019, the CFP has included only 10 different schools, and the championship game has included only five.

In that same five year span, the NCAA Final Four has included 17 different schools, and the championship game has included nine.

Basketball is waaaay more egalitarian.

Its surprising how far off Deinhart was just a few days ago with his projections.
Had Wright, Marks, Thieneman, Alexander all starting, and Anderson as backup in the slot.
Anderson was one that I was curious about as far as his playing time. Good to see the staff has the faith in him.

What is unfortunate is how Doerue's name was spelled wrong.
Errors like misspellings and listing a nine-and-a-half-foot starting quarterback drive me batty because they are unnecessarily sloppy and look so unprofessional.

Admittedly it's a pet peeve in general. Misuse of apostrophes bug the most, for instance seeing a sign on a house that reads "The Smith's." The Smith's what? Are you trying to say that this is where the Smiths reside or literally saying that the Smiths own this house?

Obviously I have many issues with which to deal.:)

Why?
This is a general questions... What's with people on this forum? Why try to talk down the enthusiasm?

If we're good enough to contend for a B1G, contending for the NC isn't far off.

When Brees was here and we won the B1G, were we in the picture for the national championship? How about when Orton was a slip in the endzone away from winning the B1G in 2003?

IT will take decades to get to NC level barring a miracle or a radical shift in the status quo

When Brees was here and we won the B1G, were we in the picture for the national championship? How about when Orton was a slip in the endzone away from winning the B1G in 2003?

IT will take decades to get to NC level barring a miracle or a radical shift in the status quo

When Orton was here, we were top 5, IIRC.

Regardless, who gives a fat rat's arse if someone writes about a NC. Really.

No need peeing in someone's corn flakes.

When Orton was here, we were top 5, IIRC.

Regardless, who gives a fat rat's arse if someone writes about a NC. Really.

No need peeing in someone's corn flakes.
Different year and that was a sham.

2003 we should have won the big

2004 was when we hit 5. Then the meat grinder of the big left us out of the rankinhs

yes... it was a different year.

And all rankings are a "sham."

But all my points remain...

Not really. I have two years we were in contention for the B1G title and were no were near national title contention. You have... ?????

I don't need to "have" anything.

You're p*ssing in someone's corn flakes, for no reason at all. If people want to be enthusiastic, so be it. Stop trying to be the resident turd-in-the-punchbowl.
Enthusiasm is fine. Unrealistic enthusiasm tends to turn into calls for someone to be fired. Tiller was right when he said fans need to manage their expectation

Enthusiasm is fine. Unrealistic enthusiasm tends to turn into calls for someone to be fired. Tiller was right when he said fans need to manage their expectation

Horsecrap.

It's only "unrealistic enthusiasm" that calls for coaches to be fired. Right.

You need to stop. And manage your own expectations, while everyone else manages theirs. They don't need you to do it for them.

Horsecrap.

It's only "unrealistic enthusiasm" that calls for coaches to be fired. Right.

You need to stop. And manage your own expectations, while everyone else manages theirs. They don't need you to do it for them.
Lol. I need to stop because? Where/how was I wrong?

I'd truly be shocked if the folks on this board caused a coach's job to be placed in jeopardy. Please give our admins and board more credit than that!
Don't know about you, but I'm not (yet!) that influential with who Purdue hires and fires. :cool:

Reactions: Purdue85
I'd truly be shocked if the folks on this board caused a coach's job to be placed in jeopardy. Please give our admins and board more credit than that!
Don't know about you, but I'm not (yet!) that influential with who Purdue hires and fires. :cool:
Fair enough. You’d be surprised how little it took.

Probably just don’t want to start the freshmen until they have proven something in a game. Can’t remember if Rondale was an official starter in week 1 last year but it didn’t take long for him to go in.

Errors like misspellings and listing a nine-and-a-half-foot starting quarterback drive me batty because they are unnecessarily sloppy and look so unprofessional.

Admittedly it's a pet peeve in general. Misuse of apostrophes bug the most, for instance seeing a sign on a house that reads "The Smith's." The Smith's what? Are you trying to say that this is where the Smiths reside or literally saying that the Smiths own this house?

Obviously I have many issues with which to deal.:)

Hammer and Rails must drive you crazy!

Example in yesterday's article: "The number, of course, are still insane:"

I like the content, but the grammar, spelling mistakes and copy editing is atrocious! I've volunteered to proof their stuff, but . . .

Probably just don’t want to start the freshmen until they have proven something in a game. Can’t remember if Rondale was an official starter in week 1 last year but it didn’t take long for him to go in.
I thought it might be because Bell didn't practice for part of the camp and Sparks is there until Bell gets more reps.

However, I'm very surprised Wright isn't starting. Does anyone have any idea why?

It's too bad Korey Taylor couldn't make the first or second team

Last edited:
I watched Shepard's interview after practice yesterday, and he kinda chuckled at any insinuation that Bell and Wright wouldn't play much simply because they're not listed #1. All these guys will play, maybe even Taylor, at certain points in the game.

Shephard also talked about how disciplined Nevada's defense is, how obvious it is that they listen to their coaches. It was a lot of coach-speak, but he repeated himself so much about it that they are probably game-planning based on it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Nat has a point. We need at least half of our roster to be 4 and 5 star recruits just to be on thr short list of about 15 teams who have a legitimate shot at a national title. Then we basically have to be the one lucky team out of that bunch that goes 12-1 and gets to play against the OSUs, Bamas and Clemsons in the playoffs.

Nat has a point. We need at least half of our roster to be 4 and 5 star recruits just to be on thr short list of about 15 teams who have a legitimate shot at a national title. Then we basically have to be the one lucky team out of that bunch that goes 12-1 and gets to play against the OSUs, Bamas and Clemsons in the playoffs.

UCF says hello. (Remember all the people here who said should be playing for a NC?)

While it's unlikely we'll be playing for a NC, it's nobody's job to make sure fans keep their expectations in check.

So, no, there wasn't a point in urinating in someone's Cheerios.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT