ADVERTISEMENT

We lost Zennia Thomas to Kentucky :(

I get that NAIA schools don't have much of a staff at all, I meant interview and hire her own staff here at Purdue. Reach out to coaches around the country that she knows and bring in her own assistants.
Who does she know in D1 coaching other then those she met while at Purdue? When an assistant comes up through the ranks in D1 like Wisconsin's coach, they know the assistants they worked with along the way, the head coaches they worked under who has additional contacts they can use to help sometimes, and any players they have coached along the way that have become coaches. CKG has none of that. That is why I think Bobinski did her a great disservice bumping her up four levels of the food chain all at once. She is doing well so far, but she is starting from about zero on the coaching contacts to build her own staff other than putting out a want ad and interviewing at the next Final Four.

Who does she know in D1 coaching other then those she met while at Purdue? When an assistant comes up through the ranks in D1 like Wisconsin's coach, they know the assistants they worked with along the way, the head coaches they worked under who has additional contacts they can use to help sometimes, and any players they have coached along the way that have become coaches. CKG has none of that. That is why I think Bobinski did her a great disservice bumping her up four levels of the food chain all at once. She is doing well so far, but she is starting from about zero on the coaching contacts to build her own staff other than putting out a want ad and interviewing at the next Final Four.
I'm more than satisfied with the job Coach Gearlds has done in her first year. I'm more of the mindset that if you can coach....you can coach....no matter the level.

As far as the assistants go. I'm sure Coach Gearlds has the freedom to replace anyone she is not happy with. Evidently she is satisfied with her staff as it is or she would change it.

Good grief stop it.

Great point. I feel terribly sad for how lonely CKG must be as a head coach at a Big Ten school and not knowing ANYONE! (sarcasm)

Are you aware of the coaching community? Conventions and whatnot aren't exclusive to the DI coaches. Also, she was a standout player and seems to be pretty well liked. Her old head coach and assistants are still in the field, plenty of former Purdue players are coaching. She seems pretty competent with technology based on her Twitter use, so I wouldn't be surprised if she knew how to text or call someone to talk.

I was just musing about her keeping the staff from CSV. Wouldn't be surprised if they got more freedom to actually coach under CKG.

I get that NAIA schools don't have much of a staff at all, I meant interview and hire her own staff here at Purdue. Reach out to coaches around the country that she knows and bring in her own assistants.
And who does she know? Who in D1 coaching does she have any kind of a relationship with? Curry at Bama is it that I can think of..... she has NO OTHER contacts, that's why hiring a glorified HS coach with no D1 coaching experience or contacts is putting her in a deep hole to start with. After being here a year, she hired someone who's only experience for recruiting coordinator was as an unpaid volunteer for her at Marion for a year or two.

Good grief Michael. Just after you post information that is reasonable and insightful, you get angry and start throwing insults around. Can you not walk away from the screen when you feel slighted and let yourself simmer down? And then address the facts or even your opinion without name calling?

Hasser-Smith was hired as a Video/Recruiting Assistant she is not the recruiting coordinator, - that job still belongs to Scruggs. Her position is a D1 entry level position normally reserved for those just trying to get into the coaching ranks - normally reserved for a former player 1-2 years post graduating. For comparison - IU hired Patburg for the similar support position on their support staff. Hasser-Smith actually comes into the position with more experience than most, having already been an Assistant Coach at Marion for 5 years. I would only assume having been a AC - she'd have a little more experience at recruiting than a person just graduating college/ending her playing career. Even NAIA coaches have to recruit/scout kids to come play for them - even though you think they're just a glorified HS.

ADVERTISEMENT