ADVERTISEMENT

Was Yesterday's Win a Turning Point

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
Purdue looked as good as I've seen them since the OSU game. Admittedly, I was more than concerned after the Illinois and Minnesota games. I didn't think Purdue would win another game outside of Northwestern. But if Brohm can keep this type of performance on both O and D going the remainder of the year, this team will be hard to beat.

Will this win give them the confidence and momentum they need for the rest of the season?

The coaching staff and players had a GREAT day yesterday. Got to give my props to Coach Brohm. Great day of play calling and then execution. And the defense was fantastic as well. Good to see our defense finally play a game where they had significant rest in between drives. BoilerUp

I think the key to that question is how we respond to our nemesis Wisconsin this upcoming weekend

Agree, Kentucky....will the Boilers validate? Cautiously optimistic....the opportunity is there, and Wisconsin is not an offensive juggernaut - it could be an old-fashioned backyard brawl. I can see this game going either way - it's a huge mental hurdle for this Purdue team.

Imo, I no more expect to see this level of play the rest of the way than I did the opposite extreme we saw against Minnesota...at least offensively. Few teams are so consistently good or bad over a large stretch of games. I just hope yesterday revealed a few answers on offense. O-line looked great and QBs executed and hit big passes when they were there. We may not execute that well again all season but hopefully we trend more in that direction than the previous game.

Imo, I no more expect to see this level of play the rest of the way than I did the opposite extreme we saw against Minnesota...at least offensively. Few teams are so consistently good or bad over a large stretch of games. I just hope yesterday revealed a few answers on offense. O-line looked great and QBs executed and hit big passes when they were there. We may not execute that well again all season but hopefully we trend more in that direction than the previous game.
I think the Wisky will be very telling, right now yesterday was a big upset ( got the W back from Minn game) but how we respond vs an average Wisky team will tell.

Reactions: DavidBoiler

OL with the play calling was really solid, TC. Combine that with the defense, and it was a total team effort, overwhelming Iowa.....a very pleasant surprise. If you had told me prior to the game Purdue would better Iowa in the following areas:

Turnover margin (4/1)
Time of Possession (34:46 - 25:14)
Rushing yds (86/76)
Sacks (4/1)
TFL (8/6)

I would have said "What? You're Crazy."

Iowa is darn good. They didn't have their best game, but I do think Purdue forced part of that. I like what I've seen from Milton Wright lately, too, and he had a huge special teams tackle as well. Naturally, there could be a letdown - I like the trending/direction as you point out. We shall see......

I still do not believe that Wisconsin is superior to Purdue this year. Their QB is a major problem for them. Purdue at home should beat them.

Purdue looked as good as I've seen them since the OSU game. Admittedly, I was more than concerned after the Illinois and Minnesota games. I didn't think Purdue would win another game outside of Northwestern. But if Brohm can keep this type of performance on both O and D going the remainder of the year, this team will be hard to beat.

Will this win give them the confidence and momentum they need for the rest of the season?
I want to believe, but that performance while dominating & outstanding is an outlier in statistics at this point. I’m still giddy and drinking my cup of coffee. I realize that is a similar event to Ohio State 2018. Knock off WI next week to end that long drought, and find a way to finish strong and a winning season, then I will firmly believe we turned the corner.

I really enjoyed the win and hope Purdue builds on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969

Like the announcer said nothing was a fluke about yesterday .. they just looked like the better team. A brohm offense rounding into form with the best receiver in America .. combined with a defense that reminds of 15ish years ago when the big ten used to have a lot of games that would go into the 4th quarter 9-6 or 10-7 between two ranked teams

we will know pretty quickly on Saturday if it was just a great matchup or not .. but when that offensive line doesn’t suck against Iowa, when they frankly didn’t even look good against Illinois .. I’m encouraged

Like the announcer said nothing was a fluke about yesterday .. they just looked like the better team. A brohm offense rounding into form with the best receiver in America .. combined with a defense that reminds of 15ish years ago when the big ten used to have a lot of games that would go into the 4th quarter 9-6 or 10-7 between two ranked teams

we will know pretty quickly on Saturday if it was just a great matchup or not .. but when that offensive line doesn’t suck against Iowa, when they frankly didn’t even look good against Illinois .. I’m encouraged
Completely agree with you on this. IMHO, the offense finally played up to it's potential because the play calling was aggressive and the O-line manned up. The defense has always been very good if you don't have them on the field all afternoon. I'm cautiously optimistic for Wisconsin. Hopefully the weather will be good on Saturday...

Completely agree with you on this. IMHO, the offense finally played up to it's potential because the play calling was aggressive and the O-line manned up. The defense has always been very good if you don't have them on the field all afternoon. I'm cautiously optimistic for Wisconsin. Hopefully the weather will be good on Saturday...
So the issue opposing coordinators now have is that more than ever, they look at bell and it’s like “what are you gonna do?” If he keeps playing like that, even if they double cover him, Purdue is going to have some good go to options across the board. Oconnell is really seeing the field well, I think he now knows every look he can see, and most importantly to me he’s able to turn left and use the whole field to keep defenses honest. Those passes to Milton Wright were a lot bigger than they looked.

I subscribe to the last game/next game theory (i.e. Purdue should come out flat after a gigantic win), but would be disappointed if Purdue loses to Wisconsin.

As others have correctly pointed out, this is not a vintage Badger OL, and their quarterback is putrid. I don't believe their defense is anywhere near as good as Iowa's.

All of the elements are there for a methodical ass-whipping of Wisconsin.

I will be very disapointed if Purdue doesnt play well and with confidence the rest of the way.The defense is the best they have had in years and the offense is improving.They need a win over Wisconsin which is surely obtainable Heck,if the Badgers were able to beat Army,a team which almost never passes,by only six points in Madison,I feel very good about Purdues chances against them.

I will be very disapointed if Purdue doesnt play well and with confidence the rest of the way.The defense is the best they have had in years and the offense is improving.They need a win over Wisconsin which is surely obtainable Heck,if the Badgers were able to beat Army,a team which almost never passes,by only six points in Madison,I feel very good about Purdues chances against them.
throw some sports cliches at ya, maybe Army was a trap game, will we have a hangover after the Iowa W

throw some sports cliches at ya, maybe Army was a trap game, will we have a hangover after the Iowa W
Yes,Purdue could certainly be hungover after the Iowa win,but playing at home before a sell out crowd should motivate the Boilermakers and lets hope they keep playing like they are hungry.Purdues current players were in short pants or diapers the last time we topped the Badgers .Brohm and staff can use that fact for motivational purposes.Boiler up!

58, cloudy with light winds. Should be a winner!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT