ADVERTISEMENT

Was There A Logical Reason To Go For A 2 Point Conversion?

Oct 30, 2010
I did not see the end of the game, so I don't know the circumstances that led to a 2 point conversion try, but since the success rate is only about 50%, unless the Purdue kicker
was unavailable, I don't understand the decision to try it!

To win the game?
Granted, but he percentage of making a kicked extra point is over 90%, and would have resulted in another overtime, which would still have given a Purdue a chance to win! It appears Walters picked the lowest percentage opportunity!

Granted, but he percentage of making a kicked extra point is over 90%, and would have resulted in another overtime, which would still have given a Purdue a chance to win! It appears Walters picked the lowest percentage opportunity!
Under the circumstances Walters did what he should have done. I would have kicked the field goal and the reason is that we had been successful on 2 two point conversions already. Looking at the odds it was very unlikely we would succeed on a third. The problem with how I'm looking at it is that the defense was totally gassed and continuing may have favored Illinois more than going for two.

I did not see the end of the game, so I don't know the circumstances that led to a 2 point conversion try, but since the success rate is only about 50%, unless the Purdue kicker
was unavailable, I don't understand the decision to try it!
Yes. Bret bielema’s mom could have got open and made big plays on the Purdue secondary

2 reasons: the 2 point conversion play had been successful earlier in the day.

I guess you could say Illinois learned how to defend it and adjusted.

Second. Walters said he got tired of playing for a tie.

I guess he knew if the game went to a second overtime, he knew Illinois would score another TD against our defense and he wasn’t so sure our offense would.

So he went for two with the same play Illinois expected him to run and they adjusted and stopped it. It’s a shame Purdue doesn’t have more than 1 extra point play.

Under the circumstances Walters did what he should have done. I would have kicked the field goal and the reason is that we had been successful on 2 two point conversions already. Looking at the odds it was very unlikely we would succeed on a third. The problem with how I'm looking at it is that the defense was totally gassed and continuing may have favored Illinois more than going for two.
That's not how odds work.

I thought it was the right decision to go for 2. Didn't agree with emptying the backfield for the play. Remember that if they went to a 2nd OT, Purdue would have had the ball first, which inherently puts them at the disadvantage strategy-wise. Win the game.

And this was with knowing that it ended in that way because my DVR messed up and I saw the final score before I knew the game went to OT.

Reactions: z_one and PUQBMan.
Given the state of our team, and playing a decent team on the road, getting a shot to win with one 50/50 play had a far higher percentage of success than trying to win another overtime period.

Reactions: z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT