ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Purdue commit Madison Layden

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/OlI8ezAukE">https://t.co/OlI8ezAukE</a></p>&mdash; Purdue Women&#39;s Bball (@PurdueWBB) <a href="">December 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Madison Layden had a record-setting day in the Subway/Columbus North Invitational on Saturday. After beating Westfield 67-40 in Friday’s opening round, Northwestern hammered two more opponents Saturday. The Tigers beat Mooresville 77-40 in the semifinal round and then beat Elkhart Central 69-37 in the championship."

Layden scored "40 points on sizzling 16-of-20 shooting from the field. The Purdue recruit and Miss Basketball candidate set school and tournament single-game records and passed former Kokomo great Tiffany Longworth to become Howard County’s all-time leading scorer. Longworth’s record was 1,936 points."

Layden was "7 for 11 from 3-land, setting a tournament record for 3-pointers made in a game. She complemented her scoring with seven assists, five rebounds and five steals."

Full article:
https://www.kokomotribune.com/sport...cle_b7a68e82-29e9-11ea-9dc4-d3639be788dc.html

Last edited:
Has anyone seen her play? What's a good comparison for her and what position do you see her at when she gets to Purdue?

Has anyone seen her play? What's a good comparison for her and what position do you see her at when she gets to Purdue?

Not sure how credible but had a friend who has seen her play a couple times and said she reminds them a bit of Katie Douglas. They commented specifically on her effort and court awareness - not sure that can be measured/compared accurately too well though. Looking forward to seeing her in Gold & Black.

Reactions: DocRon
Not sure how credible but had a friend who has seen her play a couple times and said she reminds them a bit of Katie Douglas. They commented specifically on her effort and court awareness - not sure that can be measured/compared accurately too well though. Looking forward to seeing her in Gold & Black.

That's who I had pictured in my mind based on what I've read about her game. Obviously that's alot to live up to but if she's anywhere near that good then she will have a great career.

That's who I had pictured in my mind based on what I've read about her game. Obviously that's alot to live up to but if she's anywhere near that good then she will have a great career.

Douglas, Geralds......I'd be happy if she turns out to be as good as either of the "Katies". Need more of the good local(in state) girls to come in and help the program work toward a return to prominence.

I coached against her when she was a sophomore. She is a legit talent and will be a solid player who has a high IQ, a great looking shot, and enough athleticism to get in to the lane. The big advantage is that Layden checks in at 6'1 and can play the 3-4 at Purdue. Can't compare her to anyone specifically but when I coached against her and watched film, it was evident she was a high D1 type talent on the floor. She'll be great on the team to learn from some of the players who will be upperclassmen next season.

Reactions: jindy and DocRon
I coached against her when she was a sophomore. She is a legit talent and will be a solid player who has a high IQ, a great looking shot, and enough athleticism to get in to the lane. The big advantage is that Layden checks in at 6'1 and can play the 3-4 at Purdue. Can't compare her to anyone specifically but when I coached against her and watched film, it was evident she was a high D1 type talent on the floor. She'll be great on the team to learn from some of the players who will be upperclassmen next season.
Like Ethan Morton on the MBB team, she will start as a freshman imho... she replaces the graduating Dominique Oden in the starting 5 next season.. I am really looking forward to seeing her play....I think Woltman and Madison start next season along with Karissa and Traylor and the incoming freshman center in the middle. So the 2 freshmen will start imho with sophomore Woltman at the 4 and senior McLaughlin at the SG and Traylor the Junior at the PG.

Like Ethan Morton on the MBB team, she will start as a freshman imho... she replaces the graduating Dominique Oden in the starting 5 next season.. I am really looking forward to seeing her play....I think Woltman and Madison start next season along with Karissa and Traylor and the incoming freshman center in the middle. So the 2 freshmen will start imho with sophomore Woltman at the 4 and senior McLaughlin at the SG and Traylor the Junior at the PG.
incoming freshman center won't start....and I doubt she ever really plays much. Coached against her and after the initial thoughts of 'omg, our girls have to defend someone who is 6'5', it became apparent she is just height and athleticism. This season, that same girl only scored about 8 points in a 64-36 loss. I was incredibly surprised to see an offer from Purdue considering what I have seen on film...so I hope I am totally wrong about her once she gets to Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT