ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Harrison Ingram

IIRC, we out recruited MSU for Eastern, Swanagan, and Kaufman, right? We haven’t gone head to head with OSU that often, but Baits-Diop comes to mind (please forgive my spelling). You might be right about those folks not being true factories like Duke, Kansas, and UK. I don’t recall a single recruiting contest where we beat those guys.

Remember, the post I was responding to referenced 5* players and whined about us not getting them. Let’s not focus on MSU and OSU. Yes, I brought them up and muddied the water.
Eastern and Swanigan, yes. Kaufman hasn't committed. Did you mean Furst?

There are teams in the Big Ten that have no problem getting 5* players. We have one in Painter's tenure, and he was a legacy kid.

Number of 5* by team during the Painter era:

Michigan - 5
IU - 9
Illinois - 1 (I was shocked it was only 1)
Wisconsin - 1
Purdue - 1
MSU - 8
OSU - 10
Maryland - 3

If this were to be a list of top 50 players, you would see the gap between most of these teams and Purdue become even bigger.

There are teams in the Big Ten that have no problem getting 5* players. We have one in Painter's tenure, and he was a legacy kid.

Michigan - 5
IU - 9
Wisconsin - 1
Purdue - 1
MSU - 8
OSU - 10
Maryland - 3

If this were to be a list of top 50 players, you would see the gap between most of these teams and Purdue become even bigger.
So how much success did IU and O$U have with their abundance of 5 stars relative to Purdue and Painter?

Michigan - 5
IU - 9
Wisconsin - 1
Purdue - 1
MSU - 8
OSU - 10
Maryland - 3

Correct on that. I meant Furst. Thanks for catching that.

So how much success did IU and O$U have with their abundance of 5 stars relative to Purdue and Painter?
Well Ohio State has won the Big Ten 5 times, went to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game, went to an ADDITIONAL FINAL 4, and also have an additional Elite 8 in the time Painter has been the coach. I would say they have done pretty well with their elite talent.

IU won the Big Ten 2 times and made 3 Sweet 16s with Tom Crean :)eek:) as the head coach. You can't possibly tell me that had anything to do with his coaching. It was all to do with the talent he had.

For reference, Painter's won the Big Ten 3 times, been to the Sweet 16 5 times, and also has an Elite 8.

I never said Painter was under performing in results. However, better talent would lead to being a National Championship contender instead of being at the top of the Big Ten and fizzling out in the second weekend of the tournament. Painter is great at getting the most out of his players. We just need higher ceiling players.

Reactions: bonefish1
[QUOTE="I never said Painter was under performing in results. However, better talent would lead to being a National Championship contender instead of being at the top of the Big Ten and fizzling out in the second weekend of the tournament. Painter is great at getting the most out of his players. We just need higher ceiling players.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. From my perspective too many fans take criticism of MP, particularly in recruiting, as an indictment of his body of work or indication that Purdue should be looking for another coach.

It's probably a flawed comparison, but to me 2019 was MP's equivalent to JT's 2000 Rose Bowl year. Despite losing an AA and all time great after that season it looked like that year was going to be the start of something special for JT's program and it almost was, but they could never get over the hump.

It looks like MP may be able to use the momentum of Carsen and last year's Elite Eight to springboard to the next level, but he's got to get over the hump in recruiting to make that happen. To some extent that's already happened with Furst, Morton and Ivey, but adding an Ingram and Trey to an already good looking young roster gives MP a bunch of kids who will not only bust their butts and have high BB IQ, but also have enough athleticism to consistently compete and win in the second weekend of the NCAAT.

Never easy to break through and Purdue isn't the easiest place to win (although much easier in MBB than FB), but MP is in position to make it happen.

Last edited:
I get the same arrogance when working with Rose-Hulman engineers as compared to Purdue engineers. Purdue people are much easier to work with.
All three students from my high school class that ended up enrolling at Rose-Hulman did not get accepted into Purdue. Rose-Hulman is a great school but their engineers have no reason to be arrogant.

Well Ohio State has won the Big Ten 5 times, went to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game, went to an ADDITIONAL FINAL 4, and also have an additional Elite 8 in the time Painter has been the coach. I would say they have done pretty well with their elite talent.

IU won the Big Ten 2 times and made 3 Sweet 16s with Tom Crean :)eek:) as the head coach. You can't possibly tell me that had anything to do with his coaching. It was all to do with the talent he had.

For reference, Painter's won the Big Ten 3 times, been to the Sweet 16 5 times, and also has an Elite 8.

I never said Painter was under performing in results. However, better talent would lead to being a National Championship contender instead of being at the top of the Big Ten and fizzling out in the second weekend of the tournament. Painter is great at getting the most out of his players. We just need higher ceiling players.
You make a great point about Ohio State. Also a good point about the Tom Crean led Hoosiers. We had discussed that recruiting is a multifaceted activity. Let me add that no school spends money at the per capita rate that OSU does on their athletes. Tom Crean’s recruiting budget was the largest in the BIG. It seems some schools put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

I believe that Matt Painter does miracles with the kids he can pull into Purdue. More investment in the program might result in better talent. No guarantees of course, but I think we need to take advantage of the current superior coaching talent we have, while we have it.

I agree. You're spot on. Painter is a terrific coach and deserves all the praise he gets. It's just that Purdue rarely gets NBA level talent that's usually needed to compete in March. He seems to have up and down recruiting momentum that I hope he can smooth out.

I agree. You're spot on. Painter is a terrific coach and deserves all the praise he gets. It's just that Purdue rarely gets NBA level talent that's usually needed to compete in March. He seems to have up and down recruiting momentum that I hope he can smooth out.
We are really close. Ivey, Morton and Furst over the last two recruiting cycles represents an significant step up in talent. IMO, the next bump will come when we make the final four (notice I didn't say if). Then we can start legitimately competing for top 50 players ala Villanova, Gonzaga, etc.

We are really close. Ivey, Morton and Furst over the last two recruiting cycles represents an significant step up in talent. IMO, the next bump will come when we make the final four (notice I didn't say if). Then we can start legitimately competing for top 50 players ala Villanova, Gonzaga, etc.
Ivey, morton and furst is not a significant step up at all from anything we've previously seen. We've had had multiple teams with that type of talent before. Painter's problem has always been consistently keeping the talent level high. When it's not we have bad seasons just like last year.

Ivey, morton and furst is not a significant step up at all from anything we've previously seen. We've had had multiple teams with that type of talent before. Painter's problem has always been consistently keeping the talent level high. When it's not we have bad seasons just like last year.
Depending on what site you use. We add 2 additional 4 stars along with 2 from this class. We are adding a ton of talent along with a team that had its ups and downs, but played well sometimes. I think it's a pretty good string of 3 classes. I think CMP has figured out his recruiting issues.

Depending on what site you use. We add 2 additional 4 stars along with 2 from this class. We are adding a ton of talent along with a team that had its ups and downs, but played well sometimes. I think it's a pretty good string of 3 classes. I think CMP has figured out his recruiting issues.
Considering we just had a 16-15 year I would strongly disagree he's figured it out. And I still disagree with the original point that this is a significant upgrade of talent that we've never seen with painter. He's strung together good classes before. On paper 12,13, and 14 were all good. 3 years is far too small a sample size to say anything has been totally figured out.

Considering we just had a 16-15 year I would strongly disagree he's figured it out. And I still disagree with the original point that this is a significant upgrade of talent that we've never seen with painter. He's strung together good classes before. On paper 12,13, and 14 were all good. 3 years is far too small a sample size to say anything has been totally figured out.
I don't know if hes figured anything out but the talent definitely is getting better

All three students from my high school class that ended up enrolling at Rose-Hulman did not get accepted into Purdue. Rose-Hulman is a great school but their engineers have no reason to be arrogant.

No offense to Rose Hulman. But you get as good, if not better engineering education at a fraction of the cost at Purdue. I considered Rose Hulman until I saw the $30K+ per year tuition (this was in 1987). I'll never forget the arrogant @ss at Rose Hulman (he was a current student who was there to talk to high school visitors at the time). He asked what foreign language I had taken in high school. I told him Spanish and he laughed, saying only German is useful in engineering...real smart guy...

Reactions: SegregationOfDuties
I don't know if hes figured anything out but the talent definitely is getting better
Disagree. We've had carsen, haas, Dakota, vince and biggie all on the same team. That's 2 all Americans and another guy who was drafted by the rockets. Not sure how anyone can say we for sure have more talent than that until we least see them play.

Reactions: purduepat1969
2017 was our best class in recent years and 4-5 did not pan out. "Figuring it out" by the way he recruits and the type of kid he recruits. I trust CMP and believe he's the right guy at Purdue IMO.,
Disagree. We've had carsen, haas, Dakota, vince and biggie all on the same team. That's 2 all Americans and another guy who was drafted by the rockets. Not sure how anyone can say we for sure have more talent than that until we least see them play.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I guess time will tell. Biggie was a 5* and Carsen was an exception. We shall see and i will hope for the best.

Btw who would you like to replace CMP? I'm just curious.

Lol. Nowhere did I ever say we should replace him. Not sure what your deal is? Painter has done some good things for sure, he also has some stuff he needs to work on.
I'm asking a question. You said it's been 15-16 years. So, I was just curious who you had in mind. Just a question and that's all.i could ask you the same.

I personally think Newman, Ivey and Morton are key factors for us to take a leap. We were always in need of scoring guards that can score at will. I believe we will see this with the past 2 classes. Maybe, I'm completely wrong, but he desperately has needed it.

2017? Wheeler, Sasha, and Haarms weren’t even ranked?
I'm going off of the philosophy of what some on here believe and that's a number by the ranking of a player. So, I did the same by the class. It actually means squat until the team actually performs at a high level.

Isn't that the crux of it though? We make the argument that he needs to recruit better talent, but then say we will be able to get better talent when we make a Final Four. But, we need the better talent to get to the Final Four. Quite the quandry!

Isn't that the crux of it though? We make the argument that he needs to recruit better talent, but then say we will be able to get better talent when we make a Final Four. But, we need the better talent to get to the Final Four. Quite the quandry!

The crux is Purdue is inherently a top 25 type program, not a top 10 program. As a result, in order for us to make a final four the coaching and recruiting needs to be exceptional or we have to get lucky (maybe both). MP is doing good work, fingers crossed that it pays off.

The Kids you just named off how was the recruiting before they got here because I'm counting those kids to And If it was not for injury that team could have went Somewhere in the tournament. So yes I see recruiting getting a lot better

You don’t know shit.
Simmer down tough guy. So, you don't believe people on this board thought Furst was trending to MSU? Just look at the thread. Doesn't matter he's a Boiler! I'm not sure what you're implying?

Simmer down tough guy. So, you don't believe people on this board thought Furst was trending to MSU? Just look at the thread. Doesn't matter he's a Boiler! I'm not sure what you're implying?
Lol. This was meant for Boilerbub73...I’m on your side.

I am pretty tough, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT