ADVERTISEMENT

Unholy Trio: Illinois, Indiana, Purdue football

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Just reflecting about the sad state of those three programs and the fact that the form a kind of BT triangle and wonder if location has something to do with the obvious fact that all three are now and off and on have been the doormats of the conference. If Rutgers were not in the BT now they would have no challengers.
Illinois has had its moments of glory like Purdue, though, like Purdue, been losers more than winners. Currently they are mired in mediocrity, cannot compete with the big boys, and are in the midst of a scandal and have an unpopular coach. They even lost to last year's hapless Boilers.
Indiana is one of the most storied losing programs in college fb history and, though they have hopes of a bowl this year again due to a weak pre-conference schedule and some experience, they scare no one.
Purdue, after some decent years under Tiller, have fallen to maybe the lowest rung and there is no one outside the program expecting much this year at all.
Just asking for comments about why this may be true. My own thought is that they are poorly located for recruiting, do not have an exciting history, and have been passed by in the recent explosion of recruiting hype that highlights the good and the bad programs making it more difficult for really highly rated players to want to come to a perpetually down program.
And the coaching hires have been suspect. Beckman ( and I know this since I live in Champaign) is and was an unpopular hire. They are just staying with Wilson because at least he has gotten them on the brink of bowls. And I do not have to recall the reaction to the Danny Hope hiring instead of a big time coach which, my opinion here, put Hazell so far behind the depth and talent eight ball that it makes it hard to truly judge him and he may well be one more bad season away from being canned.
Thoughts if you want.

Reactions: Tucsonboiler2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News