ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated teams in the B10

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Who are your surprise teams that will out do expectations?

Mine....
PSU
Rutgers

Not saying either will challenge for top 3 obviously, but two teams that can upset opponents and perhaps exceed expectations.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
IU. I'm pretty sure they'll under perform to the expectations. Oops, you said under rated. My bad. Carry on.
Lol for once, I actually like iu as a team this year, I also call them the favorite. Hope I am wrong! And they do have that unique ability to implode like you say.

Reactions: PurdueDave
Lol for once, I actually like iu as a team this year, I also call them the favorite. Hope I am wrong! And they do have that unique ability to implode like you say.
Unfortunately, they don't implode any more than we do. 😄

Unfortunately, they don't implode any more than we do. 😄

iu is the best team I know between May & November. So many times ranked high at season's start, then freefall to the NIT or not even that.

Still, I think this iu team is possibly different, with a nice mix of experience and talented frosh, but we will see?? I would say anything less than B10 champs and E8 would be a let down for the folks down south.

Whereas Boilers are pretty consistent top 4 in B10 & S16 is a typical year.

This is where we give iu more rope. Purdue struggled two games ago and everybody jumped on that. iu has yet to play a good team and we see them for what the media says. Don't get me wrong. I do think the freshman are better than years past, but we will see how they play against XAvier tonight.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It won't be a popular pick on this board, but I'll add MSU. They came up just short against Gonzaga and had to scrape to get into OT against Kentucky. But, watching that second OT against Kentucky I thought they showed top-10 potential.

It won't be a popular pick on this board, but I'll add MSU. They came up just short against Gonzaga and had to scrape to get into OT against Kentucky. But, watching that second OT against Kentucky I thought they showed top-10 potential.
Izzo always recruits well. He usually gets the players he wants and crafts a pretty good team with them. However, I think we are seeing him on the downslide of his career. Great career, no doubt, but maybe slipping a bit now. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Speaking of over-rated, what was the OSU and UM hype all about?
I looked at OSU roster and only recognize 1 or 2 names. No Liddell. No Branham. No Young.
Same thing with Michigan, outside of Dickhead.

Reactions: Schnelk

I thought they were already favored as a top 3 in the B10? So can't call them underrated imo.
But yes, so far they look like a top 10-15 team.

Speaking of over-rated, what was the OSU and UM hype all about?
I looked at OSU roster and only recognize 1 or 2 names. No Liddell. No Branham. No Young.
Same thing with Michigan, outside of Dickhead.
Mich may be due to it's last 2 recruiting classes.

Illinois, MSU, and Purdue. All three are top 20 teams. None of the three is receiving the respect they deserve

B1G is a legit 8-9 team deep for tournament bids and probably 1/2 to 3/4 of them could make a deep run.

Isn't that what is always said?
Been a long while since B10 had a FF team it seems?.....even a mite longer a final game contestant, let alone NC. So we will see.

Reactions: Poprudy
I don’t know if COVID messed with people’s perception of time, but the Big Ten had ONE objectively disappointing year - 2020-21. Last year we had zero teams seeded as 1- or 2-seeds, and we accordingly didn’t have any teams in the Elite Eight. I’m guessing this site understandably puts too much of an emphasis on Purdue’s loss when judging the conference as a whole.

The national media salivated over pushing the narrative that the Big Ten is “always overrated,” and it’s sad that our own fans are eating it up, lol. If anything, the Big Ten looks UNDERRATED this year. Past seasons have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reactions: mathboy
Illinois, MSU, and Purdue. All three are top 20 teams. None of the three is receiving the respect they deserve

Illinois, MSU & iu all have potential to be F4 teams. Probably won't, but each have talented athletic players and combo of experience & talented youth to get it done.

As far as the others....don't know about Iowa or Mich as haven't watch them yet. Whisky always seems to be top 5 in B10.

I like Purdue but I see them as a mid pack (4th-7th) B10 team & maybe a top 30-40 team. Obviously if they are 4th in the B10, they are a top 20 team. But more likely they aren't & not a top 20. CMP's starters are far too weak @ the 3-4. They both will be towards the bottom of the B10 as far as production at their position. And more concerning, we will see if our frosh guards don't hit a wall in Jan/March as they are being asked alot of? Finally, ZE will be productive, but not sure how far that takes us? Still with our young core of guys I am excited to watch their development all year.....hopefully they squeak in & get a ncaat run.

I don’t know if COVID messed with people’s perception of time, but the Big Ten had ONE objectively disappointing year - 2020-21. Last year we had zero teams seeded as 1- or 2-seeds, and we accordingly didn’t have any teams in the Elite Eight. I’m guessing this site understandably puts too much of an emphasis on Purdue’s loss when judging the conference as a whole.

The national media salivated over pushing the narrative that the Big Ten is “always overrated,” and it’s sad that our own fans are eating it up, lol. If anything, the Big Ten looks UNDERRATED this year. Past seasons have absolutely nothing to do with it.
On target, on point. Nice!

Illinois, MSU & iu all have potential to be F4 teams. Probably won't, but each have talented athletic players and combo of experience & talented youth to get it done.

As far as the others....don't know about Iowa or Mich as haven't watch them yet. Whisky always seems to be top 5 in B10.

I like Purdue but I see them as a mid pack (4th-7th) B10 team & maybe a top 30-40 team. Obviously if they are 4th in the B10, they are a top 20 team. But more likely they aren't & not a top 20. CMP's starters are far too weak @ the 3-4. They both will be towards the bottom of the B10 as far as production at their position. And more concerning, we will see if our frosh guards don't hit a wall in Jan/March as they are being asked alot of? Finally, ZE will be productive, but not sure how far that takes us? Still with our young core of guys I am excited to watch their development all year.....hopefully they squeak in & get a ncaat run.
I agree that Purdue is midpack and will have to outperform to finish higher. I do disagree on the 3-4 however. I think the 4 will come around and end up being one of our strongest positions when all is said and done.
So far, the guards are playing very well to begin the year. We need that to remain stable as the other players increase their productivity. Newman, Furst and TKR can each drop a lot of points and it’s just a matter of time before each player settles in and produces to the level they are able.
This team will be very good in a year or two but it does have the players with the attitudes that are needed for a surprise season this year. Let’s hope they achieve the level of play needed to roll into March with momentum.

I agree that Purdue is midpack and will have to outperform to finish higher. I do disagree on the 3-4 however. I think the 4 will come around and end up being one of our strongest positions when all is said and done.
So far, the guards are playing very well to begin the year. We need that to remain stable as the other players increase their productivity. Newman, Furst and TKR can each drop a lot of points and it’s just a matter of time before each player settles in and produces to the level they are able.
This team will be very good in a year or two but it does have the players with the attitudes that are needed for a surprise season this year. Let’s hope they achieve the level of play needed to roll into March with momentum.

The 3 & 4; as a whole with starters & reserves can be very good. However, I said starters. CMP giving too many minutes to many minutes to lower productivity, but safe, mistake proof high IQ players.

I agree on guards, just outstanding.....hope they can keep this up for a tough, long season.

Izzo always recruits well. He usually gets the players he wants and crafts a pretty good team with them. However, I think we are seeing him on the downslide of his career. Great career, no doubt, but maybe slipping a bit now. Just my humble opinion.
How does a coach on the downside of his career begin recruiting as well as he’s recruited in his entire career? MSU will be top 10 come Monday and has the #3 class in the nation coming in next season…and MSU is being mentioned in the hunt for a handful of 5 star 2024 kids as well.

Because of recruiting, I think Izzo and MSU are the verge of a resurgence, not a downfall.

How does a coach on the downside of his career begin recruiting as well as he’s recruited in his entire career? MSU will be top 10 come Monday and has the #3 class in the nation coming in next season…and MSU is being mentioned in the hunt for a handful of 5 star 2024 kids as well.

Because of recruiting, I think Izzo and MSU are the verge of a resurgence, not a downfall.

Well coaches that know how to attract the right players for their program by developing & using NIL dollars will thrive. This includes recruiting HS. Izzo has been ahead of the curve his whole career on this. This just makes what he likely has done in the past now legal. And sounds like he is thriving doing just that.

While I agree with you on the recruiting, I think the on-court results reflect a less-then-energetic coaching approach. Same "family atmosphere perks" and same recruiting pitch, just not delivering on the court. That was specifically what I referring to.
:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT