ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh, MN seems to be riding the wave.

Big win over Auburn too. Something we could not do.

Yeah, the biggest difference is Minnesota was loaded with red shirt sophomores, red shirt juniors, red shirt seniors, and a large number of grown men on th OL and DL.

2020 and 2021 will be much different for Purdue with Neal coming back and the OL with another year of experience. However, we need to grow the overall size of our linemen significantly if we want a respectable running game and a run stopping D.

Reactions: indy35
Yeah...Fleck doing what we expected Brohm to do (compete for B1G West, decent bowl, win). It is definitely frustrating but knew this would be the true transition year. I suspect our team will be very competitive the next couple of years.

Yeah, the biggest difference is Minnesota was loaded with red shirt sophomores, red shirt juniors, red shirt seniors, and a large number of grown men on th OL and DL.

2020 and 2021 will be much different for Purdue with Neal coming back and the OL with another year of experience. However, we need to grow the overall size of our linemen significantly if we want a respectable running game and a run stopping D.

Yeah, they started 4 seniors on the D-line, and 7 overall on defense. Would imagine they'll lose 8 defensive starters from today(if Winfield leaves after this season).

Yeah, they started 4 seniors on the D-line, and 7 overall on defense. Would imagine they'll lose 8 defensive starters from today(if Winfield leaves after this season).
No one expected CJB to do what Minnesota did today, yet. Minnesota wasn’t exactly a depleted football team when they change coaches. Not in the slightest. We have too many people who want immediate gratification. That’s what gets everyone in trouble in life

No one expected CJB to do what Minnesota did today, yet. Minnesota wasn’t exactly a depleted football team when they change coaches. Not in the slightest. We have too many people who want immediate gratification. That’s what gets everyone in trouble in life

Agree - the biggest advantages that boat boy had were to inherit a much deeper roster (especially on the lines), a better recruiting class that first year and a program coming off multiple winning records and bowl games. Frankly, given his propensity to recruit some really iffy kids at his prior stop I was never in favor of him as a possible Purdue coach.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I'm guessing no one expected Purdue to do what it did this year either.

Yeah...Fleck doing what we expected Brohm to do (compete for B1G West, decent bowl, win). It is definitely frustrating but knew this would be the true transition year. I suspect our team will be very competitive the next couple of years.

At one time Fleck was considered the frontrunner to win the Purdue job. I expected him to do just as well at Minnesota or better than Brohm did here. Both programs are moving in the right direction- maybe the status of the 2 rosters at the time played a role in his decision. It was obvious that Minnesota was in the better position to succeed in the short term... and Fleck is someone that will always want to turn 3-4 years of success into a promotion. Look for him to jump ship to a more powerful program sometime in the next 13 months.

At one time Fleck was considered the frontrunner to win the Purdue job. I expected him to do just as well at Minnesota or better than Brohm did here. Both programs are moving in the right direction- maybe the status of the 2 rosters at the time played a role in his decision. It was obvious that Minnesota was in the better position to succeed in the short term... and Fleck is someone that will always want to turn 3-4 years of success into a promotion. Look for him to jump ship to a more powerful program sometime in the next 13 months.

Fleck may have been considered a frontrunner by some reporters and some posters on here but I don't believe (and have heard from some in the know) that he was ever really considered a top line candidate for Purdue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
He will bolt if he doesn’t get a pay raise. He is ranked 11th in the B1G for salary even though it is at 3.6 million I think. The Gopher fans will be sweating like we were last year with all the rumors.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Exactly. He won't be at Minny more than 2 more seasons at best.

Time for our coaches whom are getting big paychecks to start earning it. Injuries next year will not be an excuse to use. Better cultivate depth and have them ready.

1. they are earning it
2. injuries are not an "excuse"; injuries are real, and have a "real" impact on performance
3. depth is being cultivated
4. internet forum demands for "microwave results" won't affect performance, nor will it affect personnel decisions made by the people who count

1. they are earning it
2. injuries are not an "excuse"; injuries are real, and have a "real" impact on performance
3. depth is being cultivated
4. internet forum demands for "microwave results" won't affect performance, nor will it affect personnel decisions made by the people who count
Agree with 1. 3 shall take care of 2 if both players and coaches work their tails off this Spring, Summer and Fall camp. 4 is true about internet, however your full of crap if we are 4-8 next season and say “snake bitten by injuries again”. Fans that pay to see games want results. Turn up the heat and perform. It is as simple as that. Ask Michigan fans if they like getting beat 4 bowls in a row, lose to Ohio State every year since Jim Harbaugh arrived?Jim still pockets $7.5 Million per year. He is likely on the hottest seat in the Big!
I used to be patient and used excuses, but that is over. The last 5-10 years is a new era with big money and new expectations of getting to any New Years Day Bowl. Oh BTW, I’m pissed IU has a nice bowl this year. We are fiddling around on a forum instead of being in a warm destination to see our Boilers. Are you in agreement?

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Agree with 1. 3 shall take care of 2 if both players and coaches work their tails off this Spring, Summer and Fall camp. 4 is true about internet, however your full of crap if we are 4-8 next season and say “snake bitten by injuries again”. Fans that pay to see games want results. Turn up the heat and perform. It is as simple as that. Ask Michigan fans if they like getting beat 4 bowls in a row, lose to Ohio State every year since Jim Harbaugh arrived?Jim still pockets $7.5 Million per year. He is likely on the hottest seat in the Big!
I used to be patient and used excuses, but that is over. The last 5-10 years is a new era with big money and new expectations of getting to any New Years Day Bowl. Oh BTW, I’m pissed IU has a nice bowl this year. We are fiddling around on a forum instead of being in a warm destination to see our Boilers. Are you in agreement?

Even with the injuries, (and losing all of the guys that Purdue did this year isn't an "excuse") if Purdue had the benefit of playing the iu schedule Purdue would've likely finished with 8 wins as well. "Turning up the heat" doesn't magically make guys develop physically any faster or turn freshmen and sophomores into upperclassmen. With another offseason of development (ESPECIALLY among the O and D linemen) Purdue will be better set up to survive any injury losses and for a better O, D and overall season in 2020.

Reactions: Purdue85
Must recruit and develop both lines. Saw we have the fastest kid in Illinois coming. That’s great but we have to be at least 2 deep with our 10 interior players on both sides. Will be interesting this coming season. I was more than a little disappointed with Neal and Rondale too somewhat. Just getting back on here tonight after a lengthy hiatus. Maybe that’s been discussed in the past. Just really frustrating that Minny beat a team today that could have hung a hundred on us if Gus wanted too.

Reactions: indyogb
Don't see him leaving for likely 2 years but when he does it'll be to a place that has had recent success and a roster that is already set up for quick wins.

So... an elite team that has a coach retire?

So... an elite team that has a coach retire?

Not necessarily elite. But similar to what he walked into at Minnesota - recent winning records/bowl wins, solid upperclass roster/depth and good recent recruiting classes. Probably not a Michigan type of program but just a step below(and NOT a rebuilding job, unless he gets crazy money).

Not necessarily elite. But similar to what he walked into at Minnesota - recent winning records/bowl wins, solid upperclass roster/depth and good recent recruiting classes. Probably not a Michigan type of program but just a step below(and NOT a rebuilding job, unless he gets crazy money).

I dunno- I think Minnesota is the stepping stone on the way to an elite job. Otherwise he could just stay at Minnesota and ride the wave

I don't understand this mantra of "excuses". Analyzing and evaluating isn't "excuses", it's reality.

Since you asked, IMHO IU is irrelevant to this conversation. As is Minny, Meatchicken, and any other program. I recognize the incredible rebuilding job Brohm faced when he came here, the progress being made, what's set us back, and what the future looks like. I also have placed my faith in Daniels and Bobinski to make sure we continue down a progressive path. And, if we're not, they'll take corrective action. I'd love to have been playing for a conference championship. But, it doesn't matter what I want. I have to be patient, and I will be. My carping, b*tching and moaning on an internet forum will do nothing... absolutely NOTHING, except reflect poorly on me.

Reactions: sro73 and NVboiler
I don't understand this mantra of "excuses". Analyzing and evaluating isn't "excuses", it's reality.

Since you asked, IMHO IU is irrelevant to this conversation. As is Minny, Meatchicken, and any other program. I recognize the incredible rebuilding job Brohm faced when he came here, the progress being made, what's set us back, and what the future looks like. I also have placed my faith in Daniels and Bobinski to make sure we continue down a progressive path. And, if we're not, they'll take corrective action. I'd love to have been playing for a conference championship. But, it doesn't matter what I want. I have to be patient, and I will be. My carping, b*tching and moaning on an internet forum will do nothing... absolutely NOTHING, except reflect poorly on me.
Ironic, your b*tching at others who want to see improvement. LOL, you're classic.

Ironic, your b*tching at others who want to see improvement. LOL, you're classic.

If you think I'm b*tching, you skin is quite thin this morning. I like reading all perspectives... and responding. Sometimes I agree, other times not so much. If you're so sensitive as to not understand the difference, you might want to avoid the forum. (Or, at least commenting.)

Edit: Oh, and we all want improvement. B*tching on an internet forum does not elevate one's level of "caring".

Fleck was struggling until he canned his DC after they got hammered by Illinois in 2018. The program improved greatly after the new coordinator took over. I’m guessing Brohm was having second thoughts after the Auburn disaster. Actually, almost losing the bucket game before the bowl game probably didn’t sit very well, either.

They gave Hazell 4 years of utter failure. This staffs seat isn’t even lukewarm at the moment.
I'm not suggesting it should from 2019 injury plagued team. I am saying 2020 injury bug or not, better have depth, get the Bucket back and get back to bowl level performance. I believe most of us here feel the same way.

I'm not suggesting it should from 2019 injury plagued team. I am saying 2020 injury bug or not, better have depth, get the Bucket back and get back to bowl level performance. I believe most of us here feel the same way.

I know I run the risk of looking like I'm "picking on you" (I'm not), but my first thought is, if your requirements are NOT met, then what? What's your recourse?

FWIW, we'll clearly have more depth. Injury bug is an unknown, so it's unknown how it would affect W/L. Bucket game is what it is, and will likely be a competitive game. Bowl game... yes. I would expect they'll win enough to get an invitation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT