ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger

I guess they might be able to "make it work" to some extent by changing the shape of the pieces, becoming better shooters, doing more off the ball. Now do the pieces want to change shape? Does that maximize their individual skills? And are there are enough basketballs to go around?
-Carsen in his third year, starting the turn toward honing his skills to the next level (NBA) as a primary ball handler
-Eastern was recruited to be a PG. We've heard that many times from inside sources. He's has the potential to be a matchup nightmare as a PG. At the 3 or 4 he is less of a mismatch and loses value IMO.
-Tyger is a top 10/15 pure PG and wherever he chooses to go his expectation is to play right away and be the primary ball handler and maximize his best assets.

I think Nojel wants to continue to improve and be more versatile and it is shown by the recognition of his mom getting someone to work with him on shooting. If Tiger comes, no problem...it changes nothing for Nojel's desires as he will still have the ball enough to do what he can do...and that is an "if" Tiger would get the nod. Lot of difference in the big leagues. We shall see, but I will be surprised if Tiger picks the Boilers and know of no better option for him. Not sure what is going through his and his mother's head for him. I won't lose any sleep either way...course I don't sleep well now anyway... ;)

Reactions: samcboiler
Good God! I get so tired of people believing that geographic location has anything to do with their decision. For most recruits, it's about #10 on their priority list, if anywhere at all. These kids are going to play ball for a coach and a system, not because the weather is nice, there's a beach near by and it has a few attractive coeds. If location were a prime decision, Miami, USC, UF and other schools in nice weather locations would dominate recruiting. But, amazingly, great players still choose $hitholes like East Lansing, Manhattan KS, Philly, and yes, even W Lafayette.
Guys are not looking at UCLA because of Steve Alford...they are looking at UCLA because of where it is located.

Geographic location may be down the list for some, if not most, but, it is definitely a consideration for others...especially some of the guys from the Midwest.

I was really hoping Tyger would jump aboard but if he doesn’t we will be alright. Cline, Eastern, Carsen, Hunter, Sasha, and then Isaiah the next year. That’s a nice stable of guards to continue to build off of.

It would be pretty baffling though for him to decommit from DePaul and go through this whole process only to recommit. Odd.
Ehh, I don't think it would be baffling. Kid committed way to early in the process for him and after going through the whole process, what if he truly felt that was where he was supposed to go?

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I suppose it is not official yet? I thought the announcement was tomorrow? Whatever happens, so be it, we will be fine I think. It just would have been nice to have some additional depth at the PG position. If it is DePaul, I still think its the wrong decision. Is DePaul going to have the supporting cast available to help Tyger shine at the PG position - I highly doubt it.

Reactions: Purdue11
Would Tyger to DePaul be much different than Macintosh to Northwestern? Difference in academics I suppose, but the basketball prestige is about the same.

a for what it's worth: 4* C Bryan Penn-Johnson on 1/29/2018 announced DePaul and Washington are his final two schools of interest. I believe His and Tyger's announcements could be related.

Last edited:
Would Tyger to DePaul be much different than Macintosh to Northwestern? Difference in academics I suppose, but the basketball prestige is about the same.
if it happens....the coach was the huge reason for both I suspect

If he picked Maryland that would be a bummer. After going thru all of this, recommitting to DePaul would really be disappointing too; especially if all of the talk about a coaching change actually happens. If DePaul happens, I just don't get it, they haven't been good since Mark Aguirre was there and he is 58 years old now. DePaul is practically a Division 3 school. Come on man!
Maryland will be eliminated if he watches tonight's game :)

Reactions: 70boiler
If I were a 17 year old, and was choosing to to go to Purdue or Maryland, I would definitely be at the game tonight.

Yes you missed the fact some “experts” selected DePaul on another inter web site.

My gut say tomato but my heart says potato.
I see. I looked up one of the 'experts' only has about a 66% success rate so will just wait and see. If he chooses us then great, if not that is okay too.

Sounds like a good excuse to me . When did they start playing HS games on Wednesday nights?
They are a prep team that plays other prep teams for the most part. They don't have a typical High School schedule. His school does have a second basketball team though that plays a more normal schedule.

Reactions: Fansince72
I see. I looked up one of the 'experts' only has about a 66% success rate so will just wait and see. If he chooses us then great, if not that is okay too.
Well in the world of meteorology those are hall of fame numbers.

Side note - when Jerry Meyer makes a last second change, it is because he knows. Can't be the founder of the "crystal ball" without being good

Like I said a few weeks ago, if he chooses another school then that's totally fine. CMP likely has other targets he has moved in on but hasn't hit the public OR he will bring in a high level transfer to fill the gap when needed. The positive is that Purdue has players on roster right now that make it easy to fill the gap along with a coach who has shown the ability to figure out how to fill those gaps with the players he has available.

If Tyger comes, he gets to be a part of an amazing program and make a statement much like the 4 outgoing seniors are making now. If he doesn't, he'll be able to do that at another school that he feels is the best destination for him. Either way, the sun will come up tomorrow and Purdue will still be playing great ball.

And we shouldn't be quick to judge him for the decision. Michigan football fans said similar things when Karlaftis committed to Purdue. If he feels like it is a good fit for him, then more power to him.
Oh, I firmly believe each person has a right to pick his or her school, whether that is to go to a different school before college to picking a college. Those players and the parents bear the brunt of that decision and it should be entirely theirs. I'm okay with whatever happens.

Reactions: oldboiler52
So knowing Tyger is off the board, do we still target a PG?
Personally, with what we'll have on the roster next year, then adding Thompson in 2019, I don't see the need to add a "traditional PG", i.e., a short guy with quickness and ball handling skills.

I think Tyger is more of a case of recruiting a 4-star guy who plays high school ball nearby and is open to being recruited by Purdue than he is a true position of need.

I'm not sure who is out there but I think a bigger need for next season would be an immediate impact stretch 4. Maybe a 5th year transfer out there somewhere to team up with Wheeler and step into the Vincent Edwards role?

That would give us:
Eastern/Carsen
Carsen/Sasha
Cline/Sasha
transfer/Wheeler
Haarms/JT

Deep bench: Hunter, Eifert, Tre
(Dow redshirt?)

The ones in CA are damn sure not sane. Throwing open your borders to all and providing welfare, education, and healthcare to all without regard for the taxpayers of the state that are carrying an already insane burden is not political responsibility or sanity. Allowing illegals to be licensed then giving them the vote is not sanenor legal. Giving them the vote makes illegals eligible for jury duty. Loony I tell you.

you live in the micro, don't you?

Well in the world of meteorology those are hall of fame numbers.

Side note - when Jerry Meyer makes a last second change, it is because he knows. Can't be the founder of the "crystal ball" without being good
To be fair, Meyer picked Carsen to go to SMU just days before he committed to Purdue...

But I do agree this one is a long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT