ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger

I really hope Tyger commits to Purdue and CMP. There is definitely playing time available and likely a very short rebuild needed to be ultra competitive...and if Carsen makes another huge step along with Haarms and Cline, you have a solid set of three players to go fight with in conference next season. Tyger could provide a bit of electricity if paired with Carsen and Hunter/Eastern next season as I am guessing Purdue will want to get out in transition and force the issue for opposing teams to play sped up and having a player like Tyger who's ability shines when in the open court in transition could be what Eastern and Boogie need to take a step forward next season playing off the ball in transition.

Glad this young man did his homework and is finally ready to decide.

My gut tells me this is his order of things: UCLA, Purdue, Maryland then DePaul.

Too bad we will never actually know.....but we have hope it still could be us at Purdue and he would be a great fit.

I wish him the best either way and Boiler Up!

I don’t like the timing right after he visited UCLA but maybe I am reading too much into it. He has to decide soon and can’t keep visiting schools.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I don’t like the timing right after he visited UCLA but maybe I am reading too much into it. He has to decide soon and can’t keep visiting schools.
Purdue still the leader at 80% on the Crystal Ball. I would have been more concerned had he just made a commitment while at UCLA or in the immediate aftermath (Sunday evening/Monday). Given that it is Thursday, I think it bodes well for Purdue and that he was able to see Purdue's continued growth. It also has to bode well that of the four schools, Purdue appears to have the most solid coaching staff to remain for Tyger's length on campus with Maryland at #2.

I think his time clock is running out and coaches are telling him they will have to start looking elsewhere in those regards...

I also think we have a good shot. It seemed like the other coaches pitches weren’t as strong. Only thing we lack is we don’t have the big city/nice weather. But we also play every game on national TV (sorry, Alford), we have a stud guard to play alongside in Carsen Edwards who in my opinion is better than Cowan (sorry, Turgeon), and we actually have a reputable top 25 program annually (sorry, DePaul).

Obviously, his decision has a lot of weight on himself and all these teams but I do believe we have a good shot and we shouldn’t count ourselves out, especially because he could come and play right away. We will see how much our successful season and potentially successful finish does to our recruiting over the next year.

I mean.. he chose to move to La Porte for high school. La Porte.
Purdue main campus is shangri-la by comparison.

All signs point to this being a basketball decision.
Well that is a good point... puts us in a very good spot then obviously.

My gut is telling me it will be UCLA. The timing points to them, but also Tyger made it apparent during his recruiting process that he wanted bigger fish to recruit him.
#3 ranked team in the country, many pundit’s pick to win it all this year, reigning B1G champs, and coach who is leading candidate for NCOY...sounds like a freakin’ whale of a program.

#3 ranked team in the country, many pundit’s pick to win it all this year, reigning B1G champs, and coach who is leading candidate for NCOY...sounds like a freakin’ whale of a program.
You know it's not the same. Don't act foolish.

And he saw Painter’s televised timeout yesterday which was great. Alford would be checking his hairspray during the timeout. We saw what Alford did in the Big at Iowa.

I actually think that it will be UCLA. I also think that is a major mistake for Tyger.

UCLA is not having a very good year. I saw that last week a 5-str center committed to them so maybe Tyger sees himself as the ultimate setup man for a big-time center. However, UCLA in a bad year brings out the short-time centered fans. How secure is Alford? I know that he received an extension a bit ago but there was talk at the time that the fanbase was unhappy with him. And we know a la Crean that long-term extensions do not necessarily mean that you won't be gone. He may be purchasing the last ticket on the Titanic.

You know it's not the same. Don't act foolish.
We live in an instant gratification society these days. You’re showing your advanced age when you think championships from 30 to 80 years ago matter to young people. The only true big fish are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas. Those schools consistently land the nation’s top players. The next tier of schools, including schools like Purdue, fight it out for the next tier of players. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tyger picked UCLA, Maryland, or Purdue as they all could offer him what he’s looking for.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
We live in an instant gratification society these days. You’re showing your advanced age when you think championships from 30 to 80 years ago matter to young people. The only true big fish are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas. Those schools consistently land the nation’s top players. The next tier of schools, including schools like Purdue, fight it out for the next tier of players. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tyger picked UCLA, Maryland, or Purdue as they all could offer him what he’s looking for.
Exactly right. Location doesn't even matter much anymore because you can just skype on the fly and talk to someone. Some of the old people on here can't grasp that it's not close to what it was like when they were in school.

Hey, I live in La Porte!
I mean.. he chose to move to La Porte for high school. La Porte.
Purdue main campus is shangri-la by comparison.

All signs point to this being a basketball decision.

Honestly though it’s not exactly LA

I'm 25.... If their history doesn't matter, and their location doesn't matter, how do they land elite level talent every year while we struggle to land 1 top 100 recruit? The fact is, recruits still see UCLA as a top tier program.

Reactions: samcboiler
Hey, I live in La Porte!

Honestly though it’s not exactly LA
Hey, I do enjoy playing a couple of your municipal golf courses. Have spent a few afternoons on Pine Lake. I'm guessing golf and fishing aren't terribly high on Tyger's list though.

I'm 25.... If their history doesn't matter, and their location doesn't matter, how do they land elite level talent every year while we struggle to land 1 top 100 recruit? The fact is, recruits still see UCLA as a top tier program.
Ahhh - you're young and not as wise as most on this board. Makes perfect sense now.

Purdue struggles to land top 100 players? Last I checked Matt has gotten 8 top 100 players in this past 5 years. Four on his current roster; Swanigan left early to make millions and 3 transferred out to play at lesser programs. That doesn't exactly sound like a program struggling to land top 100 players.

And if Tyger heads to W.L, we'll have two top 100 players committed for next year.

Bottom line - Purdue doesn't struggle to land top 100 players but I'll take players outside the top 100 like Dakota, PJ, Matt, and Vincent and win 17 straight over schools whose fanbases still think they're top tier.

California is a hot
bed for players and it's LA, perfect weather
This would be luring. He will be over recruited there but maybe Alford has had enough with the Ball types. I don’t know if UCLA fans will be patient enough.

Ahhh - you're young and not as wise as most on this board. Makes perfect sense now.

Purdue struggles to land top 100 players? Last I checked Matt has gotten 8 top 100 players in this past 5 years. Four on his current roster; Swanigan left early to make millions and 3 transferred out to play at lesser programs. That doesn't exactly sound like a program struggling to land top 100 players.

And if Tyger heads to W.L, we'll have two top 100 players committed for next year.

Bottom line - Purdue doesn't struggle to land top 100 players but I'll take players outside the top 100 like Dakota, PJ, Matt, and Vincent and win 17 straight over schools whose fanbases still think they're top tier.
So what's the sweet spot for not being too young or too old on this board?

No, 8 top 100 players over the course of 5 years is not at all good. UCLA for example has more top 50 players than that in their last two classes.

We currently don't have a top 100 247 composite (easily the most respected ranking) recruit committed.

Not sure why you brought IU into a conversation that doesn't involve IU... you seem obsessed...

So what's the sweet spot for not being too young or too old on this board?

No, 8 top 100 players over the course of 5 years is not at all good. UCLA for example has more top 50 players than that in their last two classes.

We currently don't have a top 100 247 composite (easily the most respected ranking) recruit committed.

Not sure why you brought IU into a conversation that doesn't involve IU... you seem obsessed...
Regarding UCLA and all of their top 50 players - there is a poll right now on their fan site asking if Alford should be retained next year. Having all of those top 50 players doesn't seem to be working out for the one of the all time great former Dallas Maverick players.

Why are you concerned about not having a top 100 player out of this year's committed class? Hasn't your favorite college team this year proven to you that a well coached team doesn't need top 100 players to kick the crap out of every other team they play on American soil?

Me obsessed about another school? Nah - actually never mentioned IU in this thread. Actually, a good example of a fan being obsessed with another school's team/fanbase would be something like creating a message board id on your rival team's message board, acting like your're a fan of that team, and spending most of the day posting messages on that board. In fact, I'd say that's the very definition of being obsessed with another school's team and their fanbase.

Jalen Hands if he convinced Tyger he was turning pro that may have changed Tygers mind back to back PG's drafted in first round . It would change my mind . I still like our chances but I could see why he would chose UCLA .

Reactions: millerman2005
Regarding UCLA and all of their top 50 players - there is a poll right now on their fan site asking if Alford should be retained next year. Having all of those top 50 players doesn't seem to be working out for the one of the all time great former Dallas Maverick players.

Why are you concerned about not having a top 100 player out of this year's committed class? Hasn't your favorite college team this year proven to you that a well coached team doesn't need top 100 players to kick the crap out of every other team they play on American soil?

Me obsessed about another school? Nah - actually never mentioned IU in this thread. Actually a good example of a fan being obsessed with another school's team/fanbase would be something like creating a message board id on your rival team's message board, acting like your're a fan of that team, and spending most of the day posting messages on that board. In fact, I'd say that's the very definition of being obsessed with another school's team and their fanbase.
Classic dumb*** on the board. You lose an argument, so I'm automatically not a Purdue fan. This year's team has proven that they are extremely good and well balanced. I think they can beat anyone in the country. However, the same recruiting strategy has also landed us in last place in the Big Ten in the recent past. I want a team like this one almost every year. Not getting top recruits on a consistent basis prevents us from being consistent in that department.

Classic dumb*** on the board. You lose an argument, so I'm automatically not a Purdue fan. This year's team has proven that they are extremely good and well balanced. I think they can beat anyone in the country. However, the same recruiting strategy has also landed us in last place in the Big Ten in the recent past. I want a team like this one almost every year. Not getting top recruits on a consistent basis prevents us from being consistent in that department.
After those two down years, Matt Painter was very clear that he had not been recruiting Purdue guys and that that would change. Purdue will finish top 3 in the Big Ten this year for the eighth time in eleven years. He’s been pretty consistent if you ask me.

After those two down years, Matt Painter was very clear that he had not been recruiting Purdue guys and that that would change. Purdue will finish top 3 in the Big Ten this year for the eighth time in eleven years. He’s been pretty consistent if you ask me.
I agree, during the regular season. Some of us on here put more weight into what happens in March than what happens during the regular season.

FWIW - 247's crystal ball has Purdue at 80% with one of their experts flipping his vote just today to Purdue. The only votes not in Purdue's favor as of now are the Maryland insider (picked Maryland on 1/10) and the DePaul insider (picked Depaul on 10/18). No votes for UCLA as of yet.

And some of us but more weight in to what happens as a whole than just a small portion of a season. That isn't discounting March, there is just more to it is all I am saying.
That's fair. Differing opinions is fine.

One click through your posting history on this board tells me all I need to know about your "fandom". Not one single post about the Purdue win.

One of his coaches texted me he believes it is Depaul or UCLA. Said Tyger hasn't told him yet but that is his guess. We'll know soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT