ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble in Tucson...

mreeser

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 17, 2017
After the recent news of the turmoil surrounding the "Players Program" headed by none other than Little Arch's big brother Sean Edward Miller, I am THANKFUL for the good, clean program that CMP runs here. As I reflect on these findings from my seat in RHPH, two assistant coaches at U of A under fire really makes me wonder about Sean's future. If and only if, Miller were to get rightfully canned, I wonder what the fallout would be in his "#1 recruiting class". I know other threads have been started about this situation and what it could mean for players we have recruited, but I will leave you all with one thing more: Give me Zeke, or give me death! Comment below

Arizona is a west coast school. Let's be honest, they rarely get a fair shake because of a number of reasons, mainly that their games start at 11pm. The FBI seems to be kicking ass indiscriminately, but the NCAA has done nothing. If Arizona does get sanctions from the NCAA, it will be because- in my opinion- they are a west coast school and so beating them up will have little consequence to the overall brand.
If the FBI or NCAA starts kicking down doors at schools in North Carolina, I will get excited. But as longs as those programs are allowed to cheat, I think the recruits will filter from the west coast all the way to the east coast

Arizona is a west coast school. Let's be honest, they rarely get a fair shake because of a number of reasons, mainly that their games start at 11pm. The FBI seems to be kicking ass indiscriminately, but the NCAA has done nothing. If Arizona does get sanctions from the NCAA, it will be because- in my opinion- they are a west coast school and so beating them up will have little consequence to the overall brand.
If the FBI or NCAA starts kicking down doors at schools in North Carolina, I will get excited. But as longs as those programs are allowed to cheat, I think the recruits will filter from the west coast all the way to the east coast
So will Miller get canned?

s-l1600.jpg

I am not getting my hopes up on Miller getting fired, but it would certainly shake things up

I think that the probabilities are high that he gets canned. As I understand it, one assistant has pled guilty and another is in the process of termination because of shenanigans involving improper payments to recruits. The odds that two assistants are in trouble but the head coach knows nothing are slim to none. Arizona is going to have to do something and that means Miller is gone. I would think that the recruiting class falls apart because of the sanctions likely to be invoked.

Too much has gone on for this to be buried. Kansas is in trouble and there is evidently audio of Zion's family wanting money for his signature. On top of that there was the recent UNC scandal involving phony classes. Again, there was the Oregon business journal article that I linked that points out that a key figure in the scandal and upcoming trials was linked to other schools, including IU. That is going to raise questions about Miller II given the AZ
and Adidas connections.

I believe that things are going to get messy for a number of sacred cows in the very near future. Quite a few of them will get slaughtered.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think it is kind of like a Notre dame football player when they get into legal trouble. You know that the only way they are ruling that kid ineligible is if he is physically incarcerated during the game. So I think if Miller gets arrested by the feds, then he gets fired. If not, why not keep him? He is hauling in top level recruits every year.
I also think if Miller keeps his job, we owe it to Painter to setup a fund for him to buy a player or two each year. He is always so close on recruiting. Maybe $50k here and there will get him over the hump. If programs aren't going to be punished, then who cares?

Reactions: SKYDOG and mreeser
I think that the probabilities are high that he gets canned. As I understand it, one assistant has pled guilty and another is in the process of termination because of shenanigans involving improper payments to recruits. The odds that two assistants are in trouble but the head coach knows nothing are slim to none. Arizona is going to have to do something and that means Miller is gone. I would think that the recruiting class falls apart because of the sanctions likely to be invoked.

Too much has gone on for this to be buried. Kansas is in trouble and there is evidently audio of Zion's family wanting money for his signature. On top of that there was the recent UNC scandal involving phony classes. Again, there was the Oregon business journal article that I linked that points out that a key figure in the scandal and upcoming trials was linked to other schools, including IU. That is going to raise questions about Miller II given the AZ
and Adidas connections.

I believe that things are going to get messy for a number of sacred cows in the very near future. Quite a few of them will get slaughtered.
You are much more optimistic than I am

Reactions: DAG10 and mreeser
I think it is kind of like a Notre dame football player when they get into legal trouble. You know that the only way they are ruling that kid ineligible is if he is physically incarcerated during the game. So I think if Miller gets arrested by the feds, then he gets fired. If not, why not keep him? He is hauling in top level recruits every year.
I also think if Miller keeps his job, we owe it to Painter to setup a fund for him to buy a player or two each year. He is always so close on recruiting. Maybe $50k here and there will get him over the hump. If programs aren't going to be punished, then who cares?
We just need a GoFundMe account to sponsor a couple AAU teams each year.

As I understand it, one assistant has pled guilty and another is in the process of termination because of shenanigans involving improper payments to recruits.

You understood wrong. The second coach, Mark Phelps, is under investigation for issues involving transcripts with a former recruit (who never attended Arizona), not improper payments. The recruit in question involving the transcripts is Shaquille O'Neal's son FYI.

That is going to raise questions about Miller II given the AZ
and Adidas connections.

Why is it going to raise questions? Arizona is a Nike school and Sean Miller hasn't coached at an Adidas school since he was an assistant at NC State 18 years ago. Arizona's involvement in the FBI probe has literally NOTHING to do with Adidas as Arizona is a Nike school. Why would Adidas reps be looking to funnel kids to a rival company-sponsored school? The connection between the FBI probe and Arizona is linked by Christian Dawkins who is neither an Adidas or Nike rep. The FBI's investigation of Dawkins took place before Archie Miller was ever hired at Indiana.

You really don't understand any of this do you?

From what I’ve seen on Twitter, the AZ recruiting class seems pretty close knit. Whose to say they all don’t just stick together and play at AZ anyway? I know that Zeke didn’t sign for a reason, but if there are no TEAM sanctions, just a new coach, they may just stay there.

Reactions: mathboy
You understood wrong. The second coach, Mark Phelps, is under investigation for issues involving transcripts with a former recruit (who never attended Arizona), not improper payments. The recruit in question involving the transcripts is Shaquille O'Neal's son FYI.

I didn't hear about the transcript issue. Can you elaborate? I did find it appalling that he "graduated" from a prestigious LA private school and then couldn't qualify academically at UCLA.

I didn't hear about the transcript issue. Can you elaborate? I did find it appalling that he "graduated" from a prestigious LA private school and then couldn't qualify academically at UCLA.
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...l-transcripts-ncaa/1uadjh7tfnbrz1exf1wmpdw8kv

There is a blurb in there talking about it.

I would assume some of the "classes" didn't meet specific standards to get it. Private schools some times navigate around norms because they are private.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach

Jeff Goodman reported it and it was published in a recent SI article, something about an online summer class. Arizona came out and said verbatim, "Phelps paid administrative leave has nothing to do with the FBI investigation".

Why is it going to raise questions? Arizona is a Nike school and Sean Miller hasn't coached at an Adidas school since he was an assistant at NC State 18 years ago. Arizona's involvement in the FBI probe has literally NOTHING to do with Adidas as Arizona is a Nike school. Why would Adidas reps be looking to funnel kids to a rival company-sponsored school? The connection between the FBI probe and Arizona is linked by Christian Dawkins who is neither an Adidas or Nike rep. The FBI's investigation of Dawkins took place before Archie Miller was ever hired at Indiana.

You really don't understand any of this do you?

AZ is in trouble for multiple reasons. IIRC, an assistant is on tape, as is Miller, regarding payments to Ayton's family in order to get him to sign. Then the Assistant is in trouble for directing players to pro agents and getting money. But then the money was supposed to go to a recruit. Now another assistant is in trouble for false transcripts, supposedly for ShaqJr.

On top of that, an Oregon business journal is publishing that Adidas was paying all kinds of money for recruits that were to be directed to specific schools. That involved overpaying sponsors of AAU teams with money then going to recruits. That is the Gassnola guy who was with Adidas. But Adidas says that Nike offered a lot of money to a player who then signed with Arizona, like $150K. There is evidently an FBI wiretap that has this in it.

Here's the bottom line: these shoe companies were in on playing players a certain universities: Arizona, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, NC State and others. Zion's family is evidently on tape asking for money. We know about Bowen. The money went to the families in one of three ways: from the school's staff, from the AAU team or from the shoe co. directly.

Evidently Nike as well as Adidas in involved. The thing is a mess. It will get cleaned up or the tv networks will walk away. Think Gresham's Law - bad money drives out good.

and Adidas connections.

Great opportunity for Alford. He runs a clean program, and they're going to need that.

BAB, the reason that I mentioned Miller II was the following:

"Gassnola was assigned to basketball programs for Kansas, North Carolina State, Indiana and, for a time, Miami. "

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2019/02/basketball-bribes-how-adidas-bankrolled-a-black-market-for-top-teenage-talent.html

Gassnola is the guy who Adidas had paying off people. He evidently paid people off at Kansas, NC State and Miami. Is it your contention that he paid off everyone else but it would be unreasonable to think that he paid off people at IU? It would seem to me that his method of doing business would be pretty similar across his client base.

Last edited:

"Gassnola was assigned to basketball programs for Kansas, North Carolina State, Indiana and, for a time, Miami. "

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2019/02/basketball-bribes-how-adidas-bankrolled-a-black-market-for-top-teenage-talent.htm

Gassnola is the guy who Adidas had paying off people. He evidently paid people off at Kansas, NC State and Miami. Is it your contention that he paid off everyone else but it would be unreasonable to think that he paid off people at IU? It would seem to me that his method of doing business would be pretty similar across his client base.

Is BAB defending something IU or Miller or Romeo related again? This guy is the most objective PU fan of all time!

Reactions: DAG10
Gassnola has testified that he paid $15K to a friend of Ayton's family to be passed on to the family. Ayton did not even sign with an Adidas school so they took the money and did not come through. However, they did get an improper payment. That should affect AZ.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2019/02/basketball-bribes-how-adidas-bankrolled-a-black-market-for-top-teenage-talent.html

That's Gassnola's job. He's an Adidas rep whose clients were Kansas, Indiana, NC State, Miami, etc. I'm sure Gassnola has had contact with hundreds of different high schools, colleges, and AAU programs who were sponsored by Adidas. It is literally his job. Indiana was mentioned one time in the entire article and it wasn't during the time span that Archie Miller was coaching at Indiana. You don't have any kind of decent grip of reality when it comes to the FBI investigation. It predates Archie's tenure at Indiana.

AZ is in trouble for multiple reasons. IIRC, an assistant is on tape, as is Miller, regarding payments to Ayton's family in order to get him to sign.

Where is Miller on wiretap? Because ESPN and Mark Schlabach made up a story that said he was? There is a reason why Sean Miller hasn't been indicted, it's because the Feds don't have anything on him, for example something like a wiretap. If Sean Miller was actually on wiretap he would be under federal indictment just like everyone else who was caught.

That's Gassnola's job. He's an Adidas rep whose clients were Kansas, Indiana, NC State, Miami, etc. I'm sure Gassnola has had contact with hundreds of different high schools, colleges, and AAU programs who were sponsored by Adidas. It is literally his job. Indiana was mentioned one time in the entire article and it wasn't during the time span that Archie Miller was coaching at Indiana. You don't have any kind of decent grip of reality when it comes to the FBI investigation. It predates Archie's tenure at Indiana.
So Gassnola paid kids to attend Kansas, NC State, and Miami, but not the fourth school he was assigned to. Got it.

And Sean started cheating just after his brother left Arizona, right?

And Kenny Johnson started cheating right after he left IU...

If you actually believe all this you are more dense than the typical IU goober.

So Gassnola paid kids to attend Kansas, NC State, and Miami, but not the fourth school he was assigned to. Got it.

Never said Gassnola did or didn't pay kids to go to IU. But Gassnola and Archie would have never have had a relationship because Archie wasn't around then. That's the point I'm trying to make to the idiot who keeps to trying to connect the dots that don't exist. I have no clue if Gassnola and Kenny Johnson were working together at IU. Who cares? Kenny Johnson hasn't been at Indiana in 6 years. What does that have to do with Archie Miller?

And if you're trying to make the connection, Sean cheated so everyone associated with Sean much cheat then you have to make the same comparison with Steve Lutz. No?

And if we really want to get technical, Gassnola didn't start working for Adidas until 2013 when Kenny Johnson was an assistant at Louisville. Doesn't mean there couldn't have been anything going on with Gassnola and IU between 2013 and when the federal investigation started and concluded (late 2016-early 2017, the Crean years) but there isn't any evidence that suggests this and certainly doesn't implicate Archie as he was coach at the University of Dayton. Have a time frame as well as context certainly helps in these situations.

Gassnola was involved in the Ayton recruitment which was two years ago. He was at Adidas prior and post that. It is fair to say that there is no public info to date that says IU did anything illicit. However, we do know that all of the other schools that he was in charge of for Adidas did have problems. Time will tell but you have to admit that a pattern is there and it is not a good pattern. Do you honestly believe that he treated IU different from the others? You think that is likely?

But it doesn't predate Lil' Archie's stint under brother Sean at Arizona.

Gassnola was involved in the Ayton recruitment which was two years ago. He was at Adidas prior and post that. It is fair to say that there is no public info to date that says IU did anything illicit. However, we do know that all of the other schools that he was in charge of for Adidas did have problems. Time will tell but you have to admit that a pattern is there and it is not a good pattern. Do you honestly believe that he treated IU different from the others? You think that is likely?

Who cares how he treated IU? It takes two to tango. Who is to say IU didn't back off the kids they may have felt were getting paid under the table? Gassnola was a government witness in the first round of trials and gave hours of testimony, none of which indicted a single person from or associated with IU. Time has already passed my friend. Gassnola has already testified in court and nothing points to Archie, let alone IU being caught up in the investigation. I know playing Sherlock Holmes is a fun hobby for you, but you're not very good at it.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Why do you, as an IU fan, hate Alford so much?

Alford is a terrible coach, one of the most underachieving coaches in the history of college basketball. He's never been past the S16. He lucked into a blue blood job at UCLA because he was their 4th or 5th option and flat out sucked with roster full of 5* talent. If he's lucky he might get the IUPUI job when it opens up but he has no business coaching at P5 school.

But it doesn't predate Lil' Archie's stint under brother Sean at Arizona.

So your line of reasoning is that because Sean allegedly cheated then Archie must be a cheater? So by that logic it's fair to call Matt Painter a cheater because Steve Lutz is a cheater due to him being on staff at Creighton as the lead recruiter when they paid Bowen $150k? Does that follow any kind of rational logic? Of course it doesn't.

Alford is a terrible coach, one of the most underachieving coaches in the history of college basketball. He's never been past the S16. He lucked into a blue blood job at UCLA because he was their 4th or 5th option and flat out sucked with roster full of 5* talent. If he's lucky he might get the IUPUI job when it opens up but he has no business coaching at P5 school.
Okay, let's play your game. Thad Matta has never won it all, Archie Miller has never won it all, Mike Davis has never won it all, Dana Altman, Rick Barnes, Mick Cronin, Tom Crean, Jamie Dixon, or Kelvin Sampson have never won it all. Even our own Matt Painter, who's as highly regarded as any coach in the game today has never made it. Does that mean all those listed suck too? Your hatred tells all we need to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT