43 Oregon
45 Iowa
47 Nebraska
48 Northwestern
51 USC
70 Minnesota
71 Washington
73 Penn St

Damn IU! Save some top teams for the rest of us in non conference!!!

The comments are pretty good…”going the IU football route for non conference” 😂
Yeesh. I am fairly confident I could put a team together and have a winning record against those teams. Indinia will of course claim they are a National Title contender if they win any of those.

They are nothing if not hilariously predictable.

Yeesh. I am fairly confident I could put a team together and have a winning record against those teams. Indinia will of course claim they are a National Title contender if they win any of those.

They are nothing if not hilariously predictable.
They ARE consistent at least 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
That's a quality field. I mean, it's not the 2023 Maui Invitational, but it's respectable.

Indiana can only play 3 of them, though, and there's no guarantee they'll get the best 3. They might still end up with a 300+ non-conference SOS.
They’re trying to play the NET game, which is guess is what the big 12 did last year. BUT that tells me woody isn’t confident they could beat better teams in non conf and is betting on them winning by 15-20+ with those cupcakes and doing well in the B1G—where he thinks they’ll pick up their Q1s.

I get theyre playing the game but man oh man, how the mighty “blue blood” has fallen with a schedule like this.

Reactions: Schnelk
Big Ten
16. Purdue
17. Illinois
18. Michigan St
19. Rutgers
24. UCLA
31. Indinana
33. Ohio St
34 Michigan
41. Wisconsin
42 Maryland
43 Oregon
45 Iowa
47 Nebraska
48 Northwestern
51 USC
70 Minnesota
71 Washington
73 Penn St
Not a chance with the transfers Indiana got that they're not going to be a top 20 team

They’re trying to play the NET game, which is guess is what the big 12 did last year. BUT that tells me woody isn’t confident they could beat better teams in non conf and is betting on them winning by 15-20+ with those cupcakes and doing well in the B1G—where he thinks they’ll pick up their Q1s.

I get theyre playing the game but man oh man, how the mighty “blue blood” has fallen with a schedule like this.
The days of killing yourself in the non conference is over. Especially now with 20 conference games in an 18 team conference. Play some Q3 games, one might get pushed to a low Q2, and a few Q4 with 4 guaranteed Q1-Q2 games. It ain't great, but I don't even see a reason for more anymore. Just have to try to win by large margins.

(Formerly Topic Talk)

The days of killing yourself in the non conference is over. Especially now with 20 conference games in an 18 team conference. Play some Q3 games, one might get pushed to a low Q2, and a few Q4 with 4 guaranteed Q1-Q2 games. It ain't great, but I don't even see a reason for more anymore. Just have to try to win by large margins.

(Formerly Topic Talk)
Understood. But if it doesn’t work out/first weekend exit, doesn’t look good.

Big Ten
16. Purdue
17. Illinois
18. Michigan St
19. Rutgers
24. UCLA
31. Indinana
33. Ohio St
34 Michigan
41. Wisconsin
42 Maryland
43 Oregon
45 Iowa
47 Nebraska
48 Northwestern
51 USC
70 Minnesota
71 Washington
73 Penn St
If that holds true it's going to be a very competitive year in the B1G. Could be a bunch of teams bunched up between 11-9 and 9-11.

A first weekend exit with a tough non conference doesn't look good either.
It’s a dangerous game to play. Really betting on your team blowing out those bad teams and if you lose one or only win by a little, it screws your NET. Also banking on picking up Q1s in B1G….i dunno I’d be a bit upset from a fans perspective if this is what my team did…especially with the history IU has. Yes I give them a lot of crap, but cmon, this scheduling is pathetic and shows they have little confidence that they can beat better teams.

I’d painter did this, I’d be equally as disappointed. Test your team bit, too. Beating cupcakes by 30 doesn’t help.

But….
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: Boiler Buck
It’s a dangerous game to play. Really betting on your team blowing out those bad teams and if you lose one or only win by a little, it screws your NET. Also banking on picking up Q1s in B1G….i dunno I’d be a bit upset from a fans perspective if this is what my team did…especially with the history IU has. Yes I give them a lot of crap, but cmon, this scheduling is pathetic and shows they have little confidence that they can beat better teams.

I’d painter did this, I’d be equally as disappointed. Test your team bit, too. Beating cupcakes by 30 doesn’t help.

But….
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN
I'm really sure the networks are lining up to telecast those IU games against those cupcakes! With the above projections, it looks like the BT will be lucky to have only 2 or 3 teams even rated, so the quality of wins could be a lot smaller this year in the BT. IU's track record for the last 3 years is not good. They are 63-40 overall with a 14-29 record against Q1 and 17-9 Q2 and only 5-16 against the top 25 with an average Net of 57.33.
Compared that with the Boilers who went 92-19 overall, 35-15 against Q1 and 23-2 Q2! Purdue went 20-6 the last 3 years against the top 25 with a average of 6.67 NET! Purdue went 14-4 vs IU in the last ten years, and IU fans will say it was because of Zach, but we actual went 10-1 without Zach!

I'm really sure the networks are lining up to telecast those IU games against those cupcakes! With the above projections, it looks like the BT will be lucky to have only 2 or 3 teams even rated, so the quality of wins could be a lot smaller this year in the BT. IU's track record for the last 3 years is not good. They are 63-40 overall with a 14-29 record against Q1 and 17-9 Q2 and only 5-16 against the top 25 with an average Net of 57.33.
Compared that with the Boilers who went 92-19 overall, 35-15 against Q1 and 23-2 Q2! Purdue went 20-6 the last 3 years against the top 25 with an average of 6.67 NET! Purdue went 14-4 vs IU in the last ten years, and IU fans will say it was because of Zach, but we actual went 10-1 without Zach!
Well I bet big ten plus with the student announcers is just waiting to host IU and it’s schedule!

(Formerly Topic Talk)
But if you go 10-10 in the B1G, what in that NC is going to help you get in the tournament?

But if you go 10-10 in the B1G, what in that NC is going to help you get in the tournament?
If they go 9-1 in the pre-season (19-11), that probably gets them in, especially if they beat a couple of decent teams in the Big Ten. South Carolina will be a decent test. Can't remember if UNCG was good this year, as there are way too many regional UNC schools to keep track of them all.

If they go 9-1 in the pre-season (19-11), that probably gets them in, especially if they beat a couple of decent teams in the Big Ten. South Carolina will be a decent test. Can't remember if UNCG was good this year, as there are way too many regional UNC schools to keep track of them all.
Also run the risk of those not so good nc teams to actually not be as good as they were thought to be. So if they slip and end up with a worse NET, it hurts you in the long run…especially if you don’t win by the spread/15-20 pts.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Any schedule where you have to consider whether UNCG is good or not is tough.

Not a chance with the transfers Indiana got that they're not going to be a top 20 team
#1 ranking after the Battle for Atlantis and ultimately a National Championship! Anything less and they are a miserable failure. Again.

Any schedule where you have to consider whether UNCG is good or not is tough.
Fair point. A whole bunch of them were challenging for conference titles there, but they kind of flamed out. Having lived in Indiana and NC (both college basketball hotbeds), I always watch to see which state gets more teams in the tournament.

We all mock IU for this but sadly many of our own fans advocate for us to go this same route in non-conference football scheduling.
Football is a different animal with very different indicators of success. And Purdue and IU both have very different criteria for what makes for a successful football season vs a successful basketball season.

Football is a different animal with very different indicators of success. And Purdue and IU both have very different criteria for what makes for a successful football season vs a successful basketball season.

So beating up on lower competition is ok if you need to create an illusion of success. Got it.

We all mock IU for this but sadly many of our own fans advocate for us to go this same route in non-conference football scheduling.
We won’t ever be close to the success the basketball team is now and what we once were during Tiller. Might have a few one off seasons, but football is middle of the pack.

For IU football, they’re excited for a possible bowl eligible season and don’t care what bowl it is. Could be a bowl that is on December 16th.

Purdue fans have experienced that many times—little Ceasars comes to mind. And want more but, for me, I’ve learned to care too much for football ever since we hired Hazell. Also, IMO, cupcake schedules are boring. Would much rather play the bigger schools, even if they’re better or should win. If I were a player, in any sport, I’d always want to play the best.

We won’t ever be close to the success the basketball team is now and what we once were during Tiller. Might have a few one off seasons, but football is middle of the pack.

For IU football, they’re excited for a possible bowl eligible season and don’t care what bowl it is. Could be a bowl that is on December 16th.

Purdue fans have experienced that many times—little Ceasars comes to mind. And want more but, for me, I’ve learned to care too much for football ever since we hired Hazell. Also, IMO, cupcake schedules are boring. Would much rather play the bigger schools, even if they’re better or should win. If I were a player, in any sport, I’d always want to play the best.
Yeah. It's become apparent over the years that many fans care FAR more than I do about a Crap Pizza Bowl in Detroit on a random Tuesday night in the middle of December. Give me a game against Notre Dame in early September over that 100 times out of 100.

And if we're at least barely competent, we'll still get a bowl game anyway. How we scheduled under Brohm was ideal. Took some early bumps sometimes but we were usually pretty good in November.

Yeah. It's become apparent over the years that many fans care FAR more than I do about a Crap Pizza Bowl in Detroit on a random Tuesday night in the middle of December. Give me a game against Notre Dame in early September over that 100 times out of 100.

And if we're at least barely competent, we'll still get a bowl game anyway. How we scheduled under Brohm was ideal. Took some early bumps sometimes but we were usually pretty good in November.
And you add in that a lot of players "opt out" of the lesser bowls, it makes them even more meaningless that what they used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT