ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA vs Sudan

BBG

All-American
Jun 18, 2001
Global
www.beeradvocate.com
Sudan taking it to our pros. This is what happens when you don't play defense.. at all... 5 to go in the 2nd quarter and Sudan is scoring at will really and up 13.

Kerr played his bench a large majority of the game. LeBron and Curry didn't even start the second half. I think he was more looking for lineups and tinkering than winning the game.

Plus S Sudan hit some crazy threes and the US missed a ton of them. I doubt an actual game that mattered would be very close.

Kerr played his bench a large majority of the game. LeBron and Curry didn't even start the second half. I think he was more looking for lineups and tinkering than winning the game.

Plus S Sudan hit some crazy threes and the US missed a ton of them. I doubt an actual game that mattered would be very close.
They played to win at the end and still probably should have lost. South Sudan got a nice shot off at the end and had a chance for a putback but Anthony Edwards got away with a blatant foul trying to strip it.

There were a few guys I recognized on South Sudan's roster, including Peter Jok from Iowa. Bol Bol was supposed to play but withdrew from the team for "personal reasons."

Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
They played to win at the end and still probably should have lost. South Sudan got a nice shot off at the end and had a chance for a putback but Anthony Edwards got away with a blatant foul trying to strip it.

There were a few guys I recognized on South Sudan's roster, including Peter Jok from Iowa. Bol Bol was supposed to play but withdrew from the team for "personal reasons."
They substituted bench players middle of the fourth quarter and that's when S Sudan closed the gap. Regardless, it would have been ten plus points if they'd played their main guys main minutes. Durant sat out the game. I dunno, I saw a scrappy team pumped to win hit a bunch of threes and a team that treated it like an exhibition game.

Gotta give credit to Sudan, they gave the US team all it could handle. If I heard right as I didn't get to watch the whole game, Duke's 7 foot newbie played and did rather well all things considered.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Gotta give credit to Sudan, they gave the US team all it could handle. If I heard right as I didn't get to watch the whole game, Duke's 7 foot newbie played and did rather well all things considered.
Yes he will be a top 5 lotto pick with Flagg. Mason has gotten to play with quite a few lotto picks in his college career 😂

Kerr said he did that due to starters playing poorly not due to tinkering and even he and Lebron said lebron was upset he got benched. It was embarrassing. Even on the go ahead shot Sudan hit Lebrons defense was pathetic. No excuse I’m not sure they have anyone on an active nba roster. Honestly purdues roster last year was probably better than Sudans. Can you imagine Purdue going out and competing with the dream team?

Reactions: BBG
Kerr said he did that due to starters playing poorly not due to tinkering and even he and Lebron said lebron was upset he got benched. It was embarrassing. Even on the go ahead shot Sudan hit Lebrons defense was pathetic. No excuse I’m not sure they have anyone on an active nba roster. Honestly purdues roster last year was probably better than Sudans. Can you imagine Purdue going out and competing with the dream team?
There's only one dream team.

And yet the team went on their first big run with the starters and then gave up their lead with the bench players.

Purdue isn't competing with that team and S. Sudan had multiple prior NBA players on it and a couple of future NBA players on it.

They also hit quite a few silly and contested three pointers.

And yet the team went on their first big run with the starters and then gave up their lead with the bench players.

Purdue isn't competing with that team and S. Sudan had multiple prior NBA players on it and a couple of future NBA players on it.

I'm not sure how or why the US' near loss can be defended. South Sudan is dead last in the odds to win, and even still a 3.5 underdog in their opening game against Puerto Rico next Sunday. Almost losing this game is an embarrassment and a bad sign of things to come next week. No matter what the lineup is. The USA should be able to play a roster full of 1st guy off the bench from 12 NBA teams and win a game like this by 20+.

I'm not sure how or why the US' near loss can be defended. South Sudan is dead last in the odds to win, and even still a 3.5 underdog in their opening game against Puerto Rico next Sunday. Almost losing this game is an embarrassment and a bad sign of things to come next week. No matter what the lineup is. The USA should be able to play a roster full of 1st guy off the bench from 12 NBA teams and win a game like this by 20+.
Hey if you wanna doom and gloom it feels free. I'm not too concerned about an exhibition game.

Now if they start struggling in actual games that matter, sure. But I'm not going to worry too much about an exhibition game.

Purdue - 1 current nba player and likely starter
South Sudan - 0 current nba players.

Malachi will be good but a senior Zach Edey is way better than a guy who is not old enough to play in Cameron yet. Most of their nba players are guys who got flyers, 10 day contracts, etc .

Hey if you wanna doom and gloom it feels free. I'm not too concerned about an exhibition game.

Now if they start struggling in actual games that matter, sure. But I'm not going to worry too much about an exhibition game.
If they come out flat again today, then I think there is some very real reason to be concerned. They were outplayed for 90% of the game against a team they were favored by what 35? I know it was an exhibition and not to be taken TOO seriously, but is eye opening regardless.

A throttling of Germany today would rest a lot of fears.

The talent level wasn’t close and neither was the motivation to win. One team had talent. One team had motivation. The motivated team almost won. In perspective, this was like the Harlem Globetrotters losing. It just doesn’t happen.

Looking around, the motivated woman’s wnba team destroyed the USA Olympic team.

If you don’t take practice and preseason games seriously, how many regular season games are you going to win? Practice!!!!! We’re talking about practice! It’s just an exhibition! Relax! Ask yourself, how many championships did Alan Iverson ever win? The answer is 0.

A small margin of victory over Germany is not very re-assuring to say the least. The USA team needs to understand this isn't the NBA and there is a huge target on their backs and to play with some urgency.

They are going to get everyone's A++++ game every night and the last two games only gave hope to everyone else and shows the team is beatable. I'm not sold Kerr was the right choice as a coach either..

Dude is almost 40 and still carrying our country, this feels unwarranted.
Manipulating the team to draft your son and hold your contract hostage until you sign him so you can both do it on same day? How do you feel about that?

Manipulating the team to draft your son and hold your contract hostage until you sign him so you can both do it on same day? How do you feel about that?
Could care less. That’s how contract negotiations work. Give and take. LA could have just said no.

Reactions: z_one
From a fan standpoint annoying and he is ruining that franchise.

From a father standpoint, it makes perfect sense and good on him.

I don't watch NBA basketball but I see many of his ridiculous antics on Twitter.

Oh you've seen a few twitter clips? Well that's probably more representative of his career and "Lebron being Lebron" than the multiple championships, the MVP's, the 40,000 pts, 11,000 rebounds, 11,000 assists, arguably the greatest defensive play in NBA finals history (since I'm guessing you're a 'they don't even play defense in the NBA' kinda guy), and just being an all-world player for 20 years. You're right. He is defined by his antics. You nailed it.

Oh you've seen a few twitter clips? Well that's probably more representative of his career and "Lebron being Lebron" than the multiple championships, the MVP's, the 40,000 pts, 11,000 rebounds, 11,000 assists, arguably the greatest defensive play in NBA finals history (since I'm guessing you're a 'they don't even play defense in the NBA' kinda guy), and just being an all-world player for 20 years. You're right. He is defined by his antics. You nailed it.
If you want to kiss his butt, you're welcome to do so.

I don't watch NBA basketball but I see many of his ridiculous antics on Twitter.
He lost me when he was taking a knee for the National Anthem while standing up for China. Having been to China, he must have looked around and noticed that there are no black people. Possibly the most racist country on the planet.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Flops are what turned me off of pro soccer. It looks even worse on the basketball court.
A lot of it started with Derrick rose snapping his head back after any attempt around the rim. He was baiting the refs and then more guys started to copy it and now it’s gotten out of control with James, Harden (well on the rockets not so much now) and Doncic leading the charge. The milking of getting fouled contact is laughable as well…like cmon not EVERY foul is that way.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT