ADVERTISEMENT

Top WR’s need to choose Purdue

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
David Bell 11 catches 240 yards. Future NFL.

Rondale Moore - Numerous highlights and a record or two. NFL cardinals.

An old quote applies.”Purdue passes till they get hot, then passes some more!”

Choose Purdue you can have some fun till you get your NFL draft selection.

I think Wright will put up big numbers next year. High hopes for Sheffield as well.
Wright has the body that checks every NFL executive board. However, Wright has to get better with his hands. He was good today, but he really has to improve dramatically with his catches. He has the potential, but he has to start improving.

I am still not sold on Sheffield yet. He could be a good college player, but NFL I think is a long shot.

On our current team, minus Bell of course, I think Yaseen, before his season ending injury, was showing Bell like qualities with his hands, routes and other intangibles.

We finally have 4 star QBs coming. I just hope we can continue to get the Moore and Bell big time WRs, because the last 2 classes have been a step down at that position from what we were seeing 3 to 4 years ago.

With Wright's work ethic and they way we throw the ball, especially to the #1 WR he'll certainly have the opportunity to shine. He's actually having a solid year thus far despite the early dropsies.

I dont think anyone's saying Shef is a lock for the NFL at this stage, but I like the athleticism he brings to the slot. He's definitely become more and more a part of our offense.

We had some advantages in recruiting Moore and Bell that we won't always have in recruiting elite wide receivers. Hopefully we can leverage their performance to get some more top recruits at that position in the future even if they aren't from our head coach's high school or an Indy kid looking to stay home.

We had some advantages in recruiting Moore and Bell that we won't always have in recruiting elite wide receivers. Hopefully we can leverage their performance to get some more top recruits at that position in the future even if they aren't from our head coach's high school or an Indy kid looking to stay home.
I am cautiously optimistic that the two four-star quarterback recruits in the pipeline and the one already on campus will have a great impact on our ability to continue to recruit four and five star receivers and tight ends. Great offensive skill players want to play with other great offensive skill players. In addition to the proven success that receivers and tight ends have experienced during the Brohm era, I believe that this is our next card to play in the recruiting process for receivers, tight ends, quarterbacks, and running backs.

I am cautiously optimistic that the two four-star quarterback recruits in the pipeline and the one already on campus will have a great impact on our ability to continue to recruit four and five star receivers and tight ends. Great offensive skill players want to play with other great offensive skill players. In addition to the proven success that receivers and tight ends have experienced during the Brohm era, I believe that this is our next card to play in the recruiting process for receivers, tight ends, quarterbacks, and running backs.
got to keep Brohm for the sake of continuity in recruiting

I think Wright will put up big numbers next year. High hopes for Sheffield as well.
Our team next year will be interesting.. I expect a lot of focus on the OL, but if transfers in were not a thing, and everyone who could come back chose to come back you’d likely be looking at:

QB O’Connell
RB Horvath
WR Rice
WR Sheffield
WR Wright
TE Durham
LT Craig
LG Baczynski
C Hartwig
RG Holstege
RT Miller

I mean.. David bell is amazing but that’s a lot of skill and experience back.. why couldn’t they be good

Our team next year will be interesting.. I expect a lot of focus on the OL, but if transfers in were not a thing, and everyone who could come back chose to come back you’d likely be looking at:

QB O’Connell
RB Horvath
WR Rice
WR Sheffield
WR Wright
TE Durham
LT Craig
LG Baczynski
C Hartwig
RG Holstege
RT Miller

I mean.. David bell is amazing but that’s a lot of skill and experience back.. why couldn’t they be good
so , have you bought into Sheffield? I have

so , have you bought into Sheffield? I have
Yes.. look my whole thing with going 5-7 this off-season was.. this team had a lot of questions to answer and If they answer them all the sky is the limit, but it would take an amazing effort to answer them all.

they haven’t answered them all with flying colors, no one ever does .. but when even Kieran Douglas is playing “pretty well” and can’t be used to negate our good players, this staff and these players deserve the respect that comes with the kind of work they all did.

how many Purdue teams have you seen that could lose David bell, Zander Horvath, Payne Durham and Cory trice at various times and not blow? A few in the last 23 years?

to your question .. sheffield hasn’t been some miracle man.. just what he’s needed to be, a guy who can make a play with athleticism when the defense has to focus on other players …

the best players we have are bell and Durham at skill positions .. TJ was the guy who got opportunities because of it.. and he took them

Yes.. look my whole thing with going 5-7 this off-season was.. this team had a lot of questions to answer and If they answer them all the sky is the limit, but it would take an amazing effort to answer them all.

they haven’t answered them all with flying colors, no one ever does .. but when even Kieran Douglas is playing “pretty well” and can’t be used to negate our good players, this staff and these players deserve the respect that comes with the kind of work they all did.

how many Purdue teams have you seen that could lose David bell, Zander Horvath, Payne Durham and Cory trice at various times and not blow? A few in the last 23 years?

to your question .. sheffield hasn’t been some miracle man.. just what he’s needed to be, a guy who can make a play with athleticism when the defense has to focus on other players …

the best players we have are bell and Durham at skill positions .. TJ was the guy who got opportunities because of it.. and he took them
I'd like to see more Miller over Durham, especially in the redzone. Miller kind of reminds me of Shockey from back in the day.

I'd like to see more Miller over Durham, especially in the redzone. Miller kind of reminds me of Shockey from back in the day.
Durham is a complete tight end. Miller is like Brycen Hopkins .. superior athlete to Durham but he’s not quite where Payne is as far as both the physical and the receiving sides of the position

Durham is a complete tight end. Miller is like Brycen Hopkins .. superior athlete to Durham but he’s not quite where Payne is as far as both the physical and the receiving sides of the position
Yep. Go back and watch the long pass to bell. It’s a Waggle with Durham pulling to block on the slight roll.

Miller isn’t a good blocker

I like Durham, but not sure I'd call him complete. He's a big target and gets himself open. But he drops balls in traffic which absolutely need to be caught. Miller seems like a mismatch nightmare and seems to have big play ability.

got to keep Brohm for the sake of continuity in recruiting
That has been my point the whole season. I’m glad to hear other people saying that more and more. He may not have made us all happy like we particularly want, but what we want is long-term success and that comes with continuity of the coaching staff. Assistant coaches come and go. But the head coach needs to stay for recruits to land like Painter seems to benefit from (obviously far from the same).

And let’s not forget about the transfer portal and what it will be in in recruiting for us from now on. Continuity and winds like this will do wonders in recruiting through the transfer portal for a good player stuck in poor programs I want an experience like this, The Ohio State victory a couple of years ago and anything else we can put together this year!

Reactions: Zaphod_B

QB O’Connell
RB Horvath
WR Rice
WR Sheffield
WR Wright
TE Durham
LT Craig
LG Baczynski
C Hartwig
RG Holstege
RT Miller

Zander Horvath is done this year. Book it.

Durham is dropping too many passes. He should have had a TD yesterday on a ball most pass catching TEs should catch.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
David Bell 11 catches 240 yards. Future NFL.

Rondale Moore - Numerous highlights and a record or two. NFL cardinals.

An old quote applies.”Purdue passes till they get hot, then passes some more!”

Choose Purdue you can have some fun till you get your NFL draft selection.
TE’s too. IMO the TE position is vastly underutilized in the college game

Wright has the body that checks every NFL executive board. However, Wright has to get better with his hands. He was good today, but he really has to improve dramatically with his catches. He has the potential, but he has to start improving.

I am still not sold on Sheffield yet. He could be a good college player, but NFL I think is a long shot.

On our current team, minus Bell of course, I think Yaseen, before his season ending injury, was showing Bell like qualities with his hands, routes and other intangibles.

We finally have 4 star QBs coming. I just hope we can continue to get the Moore and Bell big time WRs, because the last 2 classes have been a step down at that position from what we were seeing 3 to 4 years ago.
agreed. Yaseen looked special for that brief chance he had. Hope he can get healthy. Everyone likes Milton because he is a good guy and hard worker but he does not have the WR intangibles that Bell has. Bell is better than Wright by a mile.... Sheffield is no Rondale... not even close. He hasn't made anyone miss, which is fine. Can be a decent college player. Rondale was VERY special; David Bell is too. That's it. Rice looks like an NFL player in uniform. Will have to see if he can perform like one...

QB O’Connell
RB Horvath
WR Rice
WR Sheffield
WR Wright
TE Durham
LT Craig
LG Baczynski
C Hartwig
RG Holstege
RT Miller

I agree and this is precisely why many of us have been staying patient the last couple years despite the record. Look at defense too. We have 2 seniors starting. 2! And yes George will be gone but that is 3 starters leaving in defense and 8 returning. There are only 4 total seniors in the 2 deeps on defense. We have been playing the young guys for 2 years now and they are almost all back again next year. Brohm, contrary to what we read all the time in this board, has assembled quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball and we are seeing the benefits of remaining patient now.

I am not saying, by the way, that we are going on some miracle run this year or next but there is talent and excitement on both sides of the ball to keep building upon.

Reactions: Purdue85
I agree and this is precisely why many of us have been staying patient the last couple years despite the record. Look at defense too. We have 2 seniors starting. 2! And yes George will be gone but that is 3 starters leaving in defense and 8 returning. There are only 4 total seniors in the 2 deeps on defense. We have been playing the young guys for 2 years now and they are almost all back again next year. Brohm, contrary to what we read all the time in this board, has assembled quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball and we are seeing the benefits of remaining patient now.

I am not saying, by the way, that we are going on some miracle run this year or next but there is talent and excitement on both sides of the ball to keep building upon.

what you are describing is how you build a program.

That's why the "I demand!" people deserve the chuckles they get.

Ditto the "immediate gratification" crowd.

And, throw in the "hiring experts" who would have chosen this coach or that coach over Brohm.

Not saying Brohm will be the 20-year answer for Purdue. He's exactly the type of coach you hire to build a program. And, why you pay him. Will long term results show it? Don't know. But, all that is why Bobinski and Daniels are employed.

None of the internet "tough guy" talk is relevant. It's simply noise, chest puffing, and irrelevant.

QB O’Connell
RB Horvath
WR Rice
WR Sheffield
WR Wright
TE Durham
LT Craig
LG Baczynski
C Hartwig
RG Holstege
RT Miller

There is a lot of young talent on the bench that I’m anxious to see get their shot on the field the next couple of years…Sampson, Burks, Yaseen, Sullivan, and Terrell, to name a few. We also have a lot of young OL that should give the unit an upgrade as they mature during the next year or two.
There’s plenty of reason for optimism for the offense going forward.

The offense will need some attention in the transfer portal. It's a tall order, but ideally, they get two tackles in the portal and move Craig back inside to RG. They will need another RB or two, depending on how other things shake out. Depending on roster space and the status of Cravaack, they could also use a blocking TE.

If Purdue continues to play well, then they should be able to attract better talent from the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT