ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 Ranked, Jalen Wilson Wants Out Of Michigan

I'm not entirely sure that's a concreted list. Lots of schools gonna be calling

If the guy is what Purdue needs to a T, why wait another year? If you're at a Methodist pot luck dinner, do you pass on the best deserts and say I'll get them the second time around after I finished my other food? Nope!

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
If the guy is what Purdue needs to a T, why wait another year? If you're at a Methodist pot luck dinner, do you pass on the best deserts and say I'll get them the second time around after I finished my other food? Nope!
I never said I would pass on him. I'm saying I'm ok with getting a sf in 2020 because its very likely a top 50 recruit will have 10 colleges go after him, so its unlikely we will get him.

Just because something is unlikely, doesn't mean you should just sit back and allow other schools to go after the prize! If you want somebody and he fits your need, you go after him. And you don't care what other blue blood is also recruiting him. That's why they are called the blue bloods! They do not fear losing out on a recruit to some better school and if you get out recruited, at least you tried

As croc Dundee would say, you're the best gang in town. What did you do last night? Did you let some blue blood steal your recruit? Or did you follow some crazy wolegib guy and go after him?

Just because something is unlikely, doesn't mean you should just sit back and allow other schools to go after the prize! If you want somebody and he fits your need, you go after him. And you don't care what other blue blood is also recruiting him. That's why they are called the blue bloods! They do not fear losing out on a recruit to some better school and if you get out recruited, at least you tried

As croc Dundee would say, you're the best gang in town. What did you do last night? Did you let some blue blood steal your recruit? Or did you follow some crazy wolegib guy and go after him?
I didnt say you should sit back and not go after him, quit making shit up. Of course you go after him wtf.

So what you’re saying is Coach Painter is in line has his Swiss Steak, Cheesy Potatoes, Green Beans, maybe a Roll, I mean he’s pretty loaded down. When out of the corner of his eye he spots some Mudd Pie and your suggesting he abandons his current plate and hits the desert table to circle back for the first plate or balances said desert plate on his forearm while clumsily holding a Cup between his middle and ring fingers while depressing the cooler button to dispense some Damn Pink Lemonade. Seems like Bad Form Wole. My analogy comprehension sucks I blame it on my ADHD. Also Potlucks make you appreciate a good waitress!

Kansas, UNC, Oklahoma State, and Florida.

I just checked their scholarship grids. Kansas has 2 scholarships left but already signed 2 small forwards (1 recruit who is regarded to be as high as Wilson and 1 transfer). UNC has no scholarship left AND already has a signed 5-star SF recruit. OSU has no scholarship left and 2 SF recruits (although 3-stars). Florida has 1 scholarship left but already has a 4-star SF and another one already on the roster. Baylor, another school who he was high on, no scholarship left and has 3 scholarship SFs already on their roster.

I think we have a chance here.

Wolegib, I come in peace. You had a surgical procedure recently. Have you had any follow-up exams to make sure your circulation, blood pressure, etc. are good? I know you were told to essentially go to a more "sedentary" lifestyle. Sometimes this can lead to blood clots, which can then lead to strokes. Side effects of surgery can exacerbate the problem. If you haven't done so already, have your doc run the tests to make sure your circulatory system is good. Have him/her specifically test for stroke risk.

Is this supposed to be demeaning towards Swiss steak?
Swiss Steak certainly isn’t ChoiceBeef buuuuttttt the gravy and mushrooms help the cause so yeah I guess you could say I’m Pro-Swiss Steak but only with an Ice Cold Beer something cheap with just 3 letters like PBR or MGD.

US METHODISTS GET THE DESERT FIRST.

All I said is if there is a great recruit who is looking for a new team, and you recruited him earlier, and you still have a scholarship to use, don't wait until next year to find your solution. and never sell yourself short to some blue blood team. if you want something, go for it. and never be scared that somebody better than you is also going for it. have some confidence in your own recruiting ability.

Don't put off until next year what you can acquire today. By waiting another year, the available recruit at that position may not be as good.

it's simple. if you want something. go for it!

it's a matter of semantics. What's the difference in calling a person a talented player, an elite player, a 5 star player or a one and done? if the player is talented enough, it's going to show in his performance, and whether he was originally projected as a one and done or not, if he gets a guarantee, he'll take it. Some 4 star players could be one and dones. All it takes is an NBA team willing to make a promise. If you're good enough and the NBA comes calling, you're gone. you can always come back to get a degree. that's what Big Dog and Zo did.

if there is a talented player looking for a team like Wilson. Simply stated. go for it. have a little confidence. Don't let some blue blood just scoop him up without at least trying.

Andy - I'll be in Lafayette on Sunday. the Residence Inn. a wedding.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Speaking as a Methodist pastor, you should never pass up the best desserts.

Pro-move: Hit the dessert table first, while everyone else is getting the rest of their food.

:D

Painter is likely using this last 2019/2020 scholarship for a true big man. He may not, but if we take Jalen, that leaves the 2019 and 2020 classes with 4 guards/wings and 2 players who will likely play the VEdwards/Eifert role. Our only two bigs would be Trevion and Manny going into 2020.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I just checked their scholarship grids. Kansas has 2 scholarships left but already signed 2 small forwards (1 recruit who is regarded to be as high as Wilson and 1 transfer). UNC has no scholarship left AND already has a signed 5-star SF recruit. OSU has no scholarship left and 2 SF recruits (although 3-stars). Florida has 1 scholarship left but already has a 4-star SF and another one already on the roster. Baylor, another school who he was high on, no scholarship left and has 3 scholarship SFs already on their roster.

I think we have a chance here.
If I had to bet, I would say he goes to Kansas with RJ Hampton.

If I had to bet, I would say he goes to Kansas with RJ Hampton.

Could be, but he may also like the idea of not having to compete for the playing time AT ALL. He can have that at Purdue. It will be up to him, of course, but I think we at least have a fighting chance to recruit him.

Can't see wheeler getting much time as s 3. I think he fits much better as a 4.
Honestly, I see our 19-20 Starting line up as this on day 1:
Eastern
Proctor
Wheeler
Tre
Haarms

People are going to eat me alive for having the 2 bigs in there at the same time but I really think this lineup to start games gives us a great offensive team and allows us to match up well with other teams too with Haarms on their 4 and Tre on the 5 unless he's just massive.

What changes would somebody make to this?

Reactions: ChuckJr
Eastern
Proctor
Wheeler
Tre
Haarms

People are going to eat me alive for having the 2 bigs in there at the same time but I really think this lineup to start games gives us a great offensive team and allows us to match up well with other teams too with Haarms on their 4 and Tre on the 5 unless he's just massive.

Hunter will start. The talent is there he had a typical freshman year with limited playing time. Haarms and Tre will play together at times but neither will average more than 30 minutes a game. I can see them playing 8-10 minutes together per game. Eastern will be playing the baseline if he doesn’t demonstrate the ability to shoot in the first half dozen games - I hope he gains his lost confidence and becomes a scoring option on the perimeter.

Hunter will start. The talent is there he had a typical freshman year with limited playing time. Haarms and Tre will play together at times but neither will average more than 30 minutes a game. I can see them playing 8-10 minutes together per game. Eastern will be playing the baseline if he doesn’t demonstrate the ability to shoot in the first half dozen games - I hope he gains his lost confidence and becomes a scoring option on the perimeter.
Sir with all due respect Nojel will be playing the PG position I can bet that and will be scoring and shooting the ball as well he has more to his game than what was shown confidently he’s at a great place now more shots available to do some things now.

Hunter may start in place of Proctor in your projected line up. Eastern's shooting is just fine, and he will start for the whole year at PG. He doesn't need to score 20 points for us to win. Eastern's back up might be IT or it might remain Hunter. It will be interesting see how that situation plays out. It is nice to have a surplus of good guards.

I doubt both Haarms and Tre start. I like the idea, but I will bet Dow is not ready to back up Haarms at center. That means only one of Tre or Haarms will be on the floor at any one time.

Predictions more based on Painter/history than MY personal gut:
PG - Eastern --- Hunter ---- (IT)
SG - Proctor --- Hunter --- Newman
WING - Wheeler --- Sasha
PF - Tre --- Wheeler --- Boudreaux --- (Gillis)
C - Haarms --- Dow

When whittled to 9 man rotation - IT & Boudreaux & Newman sit . . . Which means Wheeler and Hunter get MAJOR minutes (which they should). I predict Gillis and IT redshirt and I think IT will want to with Morton & Ivey coming in.

I think we will have an 9 man rotation for the most part.

My projected lineup:

Eastern/Hunter
Newman/Proctor
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms/Tre/EB

I don't understand why everyone still assumes these antiquated, traditional positions. CMP has shown that he prefers playing 4 around 1. Haarms, Tre, and Dow are ALL playing the C position at Purdue for the vast majority of their careers. If we play an 'old school' team with 2 bigs (like Minny last season) then yes, we might play 2 bigs...but normally- no way.

We most likely will not have a Center AND a power forward in the game. We just won't. It clogs the lane, reduces driving ability, hinders defensive rotation, takes away a perimeter shooter, etc, etc. Assuming Wheeler makes the improvement jump we are hoping... he will play the '4' everyone talks about. He has the height/length/athleticism to guard the taller players in the post.

CMP typically seems to have a lineup like this (if we insist on breaking it down by position):

PG
SG
SG
F/SF
C

Eastern
Proctor
Wheeler
Tre
Haarms

I would be surprised if we ever see that lineup to be honest. I think we'll have some combination of eastern, hunter, sasha, proctor, and Newman starting 1-3, with wheeler at the 4 and haarms at the 5.

Reactions: Boilerbuck
I'd say, barring any more addition over the summer, we'd have a starting lineup as followed:

Eastern, Proctor, Hunter, Wheeler, Haarms

Then Painter will rotate in the following players:
Sasha, Newman, Trevion, Boudreaux

Out of incoming 3 recruits, I think Newman is probably the most ready to play right away. Depending on the situation, Thompson and Gillis may play early but I think they may benefit more with redshirts. Duwuona should also get some minutes depending on the game.

If we do get Wilson, I'd want the following lineup:
Eastern, Proctor, Wilson, Wheeler, Haarms

That would be SWEET!

I don't understand why everyone still assumes these antiquated, traditional positions. CMP has shown that he prefers playing 4 around 1. Haarms, Tre, and Dow are ALL playing the C position at Purdue for the vast majority of their careers. If we play an 'old school' team with 2 bigs (like Minny last season) then yes, we might play 2 bigs...but normally- no way.

We most likely will not have a Center AND a power forward in the game. We just won't. It clogs the lane, reduces driving ability, hinders defensive rotation, takes away a perimeter shooter, etc, etc. Assuming Wheeler makes the improvement jump we are hoping... he will play the '4' everyone talks about. He has the height/length/athleticism to guard the taller players in the post.

CMP typically seems to have a lineup like this (if we insist on breaking it down by position):

PG
SG
SG
F/SF
C
'Cuz it's the boring as hell off-season and this is the most fun we can figure out. You can take away any position-designators you want from my list, it;ll stay the same.

I don’t see Nojel anywhere but the starting point Guard. You will see him get some buckets working the baseline as they roll through motion or on some called plays.
If you put him in a forward spot he will still do well but you are no longer creating mismatches and forcing the defense to adjust.

Sir with all due respect Nojel will be playing the PG position I can bet that and will be scoring and shooting the ball as well he has more to his game than what was shown confidently he’s at a great place now more shots available to do some things now.
This. I'm excited for Nojel to be far more offensive minded next year. And he hopefully does have a break out season. Then you are going to hear the "for a guy that can't shoot...where's this been?" I've maintained (as you have been very adamant as well) is that Nojel just hasn't shot enough because that wasn't his role. Im still a bit baffled by the folks that say he needs to develop a jump shot...he just hasn't shot enough to say either way IMO.

This. I'm excited for Nojel to be far more offensive minded next year. And he hopefully does have a break out season. Then you are going to hear the "for a guy that can't shoot...where's this been?" I've maintained (as you have been very adamant as well) is that Nojel just hasn't shot enough because that wasn't his role. Im still a bit baffled by the folks that say he needs to develop a jump shot...he just hasn't shot enough to say either way IMO.
Your in point sir you get it. He didn’t forget how to shoot he didn’t get many opportunities to shoot them plus confidence want completely there so he decided to not shoot not bcuz he couldn’t but bcuz he didn’t want to bring his field goal percentage down and he want shooting just to be shooting the ball bcuz fans or others told him to do so. He made a choice to win games and do everything he cud to help team win. He had shooters on the team he was the PG he played his role to get his teammates involved in the offense and just settled in on running the offense finding his teammates rebounding defending being the all around player he is to help put the team b4 his shooting. He can shoot always cud he knows he’ll have more opportunities to shoot the ball score the ball bcuz the offense very well may be more suited to his style of play than the last 2 years bcuz of the personel that was here b4 him. Nobody knows my son better than me and he cud do more offensively than what he showed 19/20 he will show what he really can do wait and see.

Your in point sir you get it. He didn’t forget how to shoot he didn’t get many opportunities to shoot them plus confidence want completely there so he decided to not shoot not bcuz he couldn’t but bcuz he didn’t want to bring his field goal percentage down and he want shooting just to be shooting the ball bcuz fans or others told him to do so. He made a choice to win games and do everything he cud to help team win. He had shooters on the team he was the PG he played his role to get his teammates involved in the offense and just settled in on running the offense finding his teammates rebounding defending being the all around player he is to help put the team b4 his shooting. He can shoot always cud he knows he’ll have more opportunities to shoot the ball score the ball bcuz the offense very well may be more suited to his style of play than the last 2 years bcuz of the personel that was here b4 him. Nobody knows my son better than me and he cud do more offensively than what he showed 19/20 he will show what he really can do wait and see.
Looking forward to some dunk videos, I know he has a couple dunking tricks up his sleeves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT