ADVERTISEMENT

TKR confirming he will play the 5?

Brian asking the questions we want to know!

So, ok, didn’t seem like he completely confirmed. But hopefully Paint will use a ton of different looks this year.

Maybe @Thadoc1, can help elaborate…
Such a good rep for Purdue as have been so many previous players. He is a thinker that can articulate well his thoughts.

Definitely one of a kind. Excited to see him this year and have him show the rest of the country what he’s capable of!
I recall his freshman year a poster, now on the other site hinted of racism when I mentioned how articulate he was. guy was looking for something instead of just reading the compliment. I'm thinking he was 1 or 2 in his class that originally wanted to major in physics. Kid is bright

I recall his freshman year a poster, now on the other site hinted of racism when I mentioned how articulate he was. guy was looking for something instead of just reading the compliment. I'm thinking he was 1 or 2 in his class that originally wanted to major in physics. Kid is bright
Majoring in philosophy now! He’s going to shine and everyone but Purdue fans are gonna think he came outta nowhere.

Are you saying I'm going to have to say I was wrong about being wrong?

his basketball IQ is impressive. Hes a guy I expect willl really step up this year. It also sounds like we will have a lot of flexibility in reading between the lines. After hearing this I feel like it is more likely he starts at the 5 all year, but will slide to the 4 on occasion (as of now). He conditioned comments on “depends on who is on the floor” and “playing small ball lineup” which sounds fun to me to see how we can take advantage of our deep team to adapt to who we are playing, or maybe even mid-game strategies. I know this will disappoint wolegib because only 5 guys can start and that is the only thing these kids care about.

On paper, CMP has a tremendous amount of roster flexibility. I would not be surprised for him not deciding on a regular rotation until early in the B1G schedule. It really depends on how the players play in their given and further earned opportunities. My biggest concern this season is defensive rebounding.

On paper, CMP has a tremendous amount of roster flexibility. I would not be surprised for him not deciding on a regular rotation until early in the B1G schedule. It really depends on how the players play in their given and further earned opportunities. My biggest concern this season is defensive rebounding.
my concern is always about containing the dribble. I have that concern for 10 years from now. ;)

I think CMP has an excellent option of going big/going small
🚂

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It does indeed become more of a problem as you get older.
So far so good, but I do wonder about this Nov/Dec assuming Monday doesn't move that up sooner...but don't think dribble will be the issue maybe more frequent or urgency…or maybe nothing. You know I fell into a joke I didn't realize at the time. It was strictly basketball, but ended up being funny. ;)

Last edited:
Finally actually watched the clip. 3 thoughts:

1. I like TKR with the short hair. Agree to disagree.
2. The idea of him being the "5" was posed to him as opposed to him stating it. Remains to be seen what kind of lineup we put out there.
3. It was good to hear that "Braden's hooking up with a girl."

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Hate to say it, but nothing new here. The video is from a round of interviews conducted right after the first day of practice, I think back in June. I'm sure a lot has been figured out since then and will likely still change.

A lot depends on who will play the 4. If Tkr plays the 5, who plays the 4? I still believe Jacobson will prove his metal and start and tkr will slide over to the 4.

I like TKR. I just like Jacobson with Furst backing him up at center more than I like Heide starting at the 4. I’d rather see Heidi at the three.

Jacobson missed some practice time at Purdue this summer because of his USA team participation. Now that he has returned, I believe he will prove his value and force his way into a starting position.

I don’t really see Purdue going small ball very often.

We’ll see how it plays out.

Reactions: oldboiler52
A lot depends on who will play the 4. If Tkr plays the 5, who plays the 4? I still believe Jacobson will prove his metal and start and tkr will slide over to the 4.

I like TKR. I just like Jacobson with Furst backing him up at center more than I like Heide starting at the 4. I’d rather see Heidi at the three.

Jacobson missed some practice time at Purdue this summer because of his USA team participation. Now that he has returned, I believe he will prove his value and force his way into a starting position.

I know you continue to not know who Cam Heide is (he wears #23), but he is a true 3 who plays the 3 at 6’7 but if TKR plays the 5 and Purdue goes small, Heide can slide to the 4. Below is him in the National championship game. He was the one who dunked it off an edey miss:
National Championship Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

I don’t care where you want Heide, just paint. I’m pretty sure paint already said Heide was penciled in as starting at the 4, and was validated by TKR saying they would go small depending on who they have on the floor. I also think Furst may get some minutes at the 4 and defended some of the bigger 4s, he did this past year and I thought he did well. So if TKR is at the 5, who plays the 4 may depend on our opponents 4. For example I wouldn’t expect Heide to go up against Reneau from Indiana or Xavier Booker from MSU but I would also not expect Furst or TKR to go up against Brooks Barnhizer from northwestern or Ty Rodgers from Illinois.

I don’t care where you want Heide, just paint. I’m pretty sure paint already said Heide was penciled in as starting at the 4, and was validated by TKR saying they would go small depending on who they have on the floor. I also think Furst may get some minutes at the 4 and defended some of the bigger 4s, he did this past year and I thought he did well. So if TKR is at the 5, who plays the 4 may depend on our opponents 4. For example I wouldn’t expect Heide to go up against Reneau from Indiana or Xavier Booker from MSU but I would also not expect Furst or TKR to go up against Brooks Barnhizer from northwestern or Ty Rodgers from Illinois.
It would be really beneficial if Caleb is able to shoot this season.

Last edited:
Lol. That sentiment probably could be extended to all Boilers, even those with no past problems in that area .
That's a very fair point 😁

I'd really like to see Caleb carve out a role this year and do well, particularly given how unselfish he was last year in taking a smaller role in backing up Zach as Tre moved to the four. I just think it's going to be tough for him to earn significant minutes alongside Trey or another post player if he's not at least a threat to hit open threes. He has a good stroke, I think he can do it but it hasn't translated into games the past two seasons.

That's a very fair point 😁

I'd really like to see Caleb carve out a role this year and do well, particularly given how unselfish he was last year in taking a smaller role in backing up Zach as Tre moved to the four. I just think it's going to be tough for him to earn significant minutes alongside Trey or another post player if he's not at least a threat to hit open threes. He has a good stroke, I think he can do it but it hasn't translated into games the past two seasons.

Yep fans would be pleased if he could make some strides and be a big part where he helps us win games. Everyone likes to see the older guys go out with a bang. Best of luck to him and his shooting %. Seems to do a lot of other little things well.

I'd like to see stronger hands as well as better anticipation of the DT and getting the ball out of there before he loses it.

Last edited:
In this article Brian thinks TKR may start out at the 5…but looks like TKR and Heide hit the weights this summer :

The minute Furst shares the floor with TKR (even if furst guards their 4, walks, and talks like a 4) wole will gloat he told us all year TKR will be a 4. I think everyone including TKR in June acknowledges he will slide to 4 at times, I suspect it will be TKR and Heide at the 5 and 4 respectively, with the potential Jacobsen could earn minutes and maybe even start. That’s not me being smarter than painter, just fact based evidence such as coach and player interviews and coverage by reporters close to the situation like Brian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT