ADVERTISEMENT

time to write the AD

While her results at Vandy aren't impressive, I remain convinced that Steph can coach. and, if nothing else, her name still carries some weight in recruiting in Indiana. and I agree with Gesysp that those conditions don't necessarily put her at the top of my "who to hire" list.

For whatever reason, high level recruits aren't interested in us any longer - could be any number of things - but it's clear we need someone here with a different energy.

Destewart, just curious why you say that? Not saying we should hire her, just wondering your perspective on why you say she wouldn’t be hired here.

Her record as a college HC would certainly not warrant strong consideration, would it?

Perhaps MB1 should not have extended SV's contract just before he left and let Bo handle it. Water under the bridge now.

Both Keady and Tiller built legacies and had laurels to retire in advance and go out on their terms. Sadly, SV does not have that luxury. Something might happen in the next month or so. We will see.

I think we should hire the best coach available, period. Alma mater should not be a factor. It does not guarantee success as we have seen here.

I think that Purdue does have the $$ to release SV now and hire a new coach. It is a function of the erosion of recruits over the short term and the availability of good HC candidates now. If no good candidates surface or show interest now, Purdue can wait. But if good candidates surface this spring, who knows what will happen.

Reactions: Gesysp
Her record as a college HC would certainly not warrant strong consideration, would it?

Again, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't hire her - but PU has a historical tendency to hire within the PU family so she may at least get a look. Maybe that ended with Burke leaving, but we've seen it for 20 years. If PU can allow Versyp 13 years to drop our program into the bottom of the Big 10, not sure that Vanderbilt won't give her at least 4-5 years to get her players into and through her system. Her results there have been disappointing, I agree, but I also feel she did not have much to work with when she started.

Interesting things now being posted regarding the culture on the other message board......

Katie Geralds is the coach built for Purdue.

Here’s your best choice. Proven mid major HC with experience at three major schools including Michigan as recruiting coordinator and assistant coach. Dayton native.. First team Academic All American. Took Miami team from 11-21 to 21-11 in one season and posted 12-6 MAC record which was most wins in ten years. This year, her second, she is 21-6. Played in WNBA and internationally. Purdue has thrived on Indiana and Ohio players the last 25 years.
https://www.journal-news.com/sports/women-basketball-megan-duffy-gets-contract-extension-from-miami/
https://miamiredhawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=136

Last edited:
Reactions: TMA62
Destewart, just curious why you say that? Not saying we should hire her, just wondering your perspective on why you say she wouldn’t be hired here.
I think des is looking at her record starting at 14-16 her first year at Vandy but now being 14-46 over the last two years. Not a very impressive résumé.

More and more it seems that unless there is no concern at the top, which is hard to believe, we must make a move. There clearly are options. And we can't do any worse I think. Illinois has been trying to resurrect its program forever as has Wisconsin with little success. There is no magic bullet. But Versyp's inability to retain players is her Achilles heel. As has been said, had she not lost so many players over the last several years this current team would probably be in the top 4 and there would not be an issue except those who think we can just hop right back on the National level just because we won a title 20 years ago. Bo, your fan base says you gotta make a move. That being said, I respect Coach V, but just think it has moved past her.

For whatever reason, high level recruits aren't interested in us any longer - could be any number of things - but it's clear we need someone here with a different energy.

When you look at the atmosphere, energy and excitement with the Men's Bball team and Mackey area, it can happen too with Women's Bball. I am not saying the exact same thing as the Men's program, but the ingredients are there for a successful Women's Bball program. I would imagine that HC candidates and recruits can see the possibilities.

When you look at the atmosphere, energy and excitement with the Men's Bball team and Mackey area, it can happen too with Women's Bball. I am not saying the exact same thing as the Men's program, but the ingredients are there for a successful Women's Bball program. I would imagine that HC candidates and recruits can see the possibilities.

I would say the women have a better chance of becoming elite.
They were elite not long ago.
Ladies typically stay four years to get their degree and Purdue is well know for it's academics.
Purdue has a good following in WBB.

Reactions: Gesysp
I would say the women have a better chance of becoming elite.
They were elite not long ago.
Ladies typically stay four years to get their degree and Purdue is well know for it's academics.
Purdue has a good following in WBB.

Many have either left us or gone into hibernation.

Reactions: Bigohh
Yes, I would think that if no change is made there will be a drop off of interest. I am a fan tho and follow my teams thru thick and thin. It is possible with what Versyp has returning she could have a decent year next season. Where would that leave us? Again we have NO IDEA if this is even on Bo's radar.

Reactions: DocRon
I think it depends if a good candidate(s) are available and interested now. Otherwise, it makes no sense to let SV go. We may find out by the end of this week if SV stays or not.

I think it depends if a good candidate(s) are available and interested now. Otherwise, it makes no sense to let SV go. We may find out by the end of this week if SV stays or not.

It is ludicrous to suggest there are not superior candidates who would be interested in a job which should be in the Top Ten in all of Wbb. If they do not make a change the options are to allow her to remain until 2022 without extending her contract which would perpetuate the mediocrity, or extend her contract and continue pouring three quarters of a million down a bottomless hole.

It is ludicrous to suggest there are not superior candidates who would be interested in a job which should be in the Top Ten in all of Wbb. If they do not make a change the options are to allow her to remain until 2022 without extending her contract which would perpetuate the mediocrity, or extend her contract and continue pouring three quarters of a million down a bottomless hole.
I couldn't agree more. I have been less sure than many on this board, but there is absolutely no choice now. There must be a change. If there is not, Purdue is saying they don't care about women's basketball. The present AD has made it clear what he expects. I feel sure a change will be coming shortly after we are eliminated from the Big Ten tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT