ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Olympic boxer Imane Khelif

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Should Olympics have allowed Imane Khelif in as a boxer?

She apparently is a female boxer (with a Cervix) but also has a Y chromosome giving her an advantage in testosterone and punching power.

At the 23 World championship this was unfair to the officials there and disqualified her.

To me it's a safety issue....as I have two daughters. And why I am also against transgender men competing as a woman. Thus, I would side with the officials @ the World Championships. The Olympic officials say whatever is on an athlete's passport. It's more complicated than that.

Btw....still not watching Olympics, but saw the story in the news.

Your thoughts....

Reactions: Riveting

She apparently is a female boxer (with a Cervix) but also has a Y chromosome giving her an advantage in testosterone and punching power.

At the 23 World championship this was unfair to the officials there and disqualified her.

To me it's a safety issue....as I have two daughters. And why I am also against transgender men competing as a woman. Thus, I would side with the officials @ the World Championships. The Olympic officials say whatever is on an athlete's passport. It's more complicated than that.

Your thoughts....
Depends on where you want to draw the line. As far as I understand, a previous genetic test came back XY. So by genes a male. Since the Y doesn't always fully express some organizations prefer more loose definitions and/or they want to include trans. Either way it's unfair to someone. Or just dump dividing sport by sex and only have one category. I would generally discourage that.

Do you want to be unfair to the exceptions, or the rule?

Depends on where you want to draw the line. As far as I understand, a previous genetic test came back XY. So by genes a male. Since the Y doesn't always fully express some organizations prefer more loose definitions and/or they want to include trans. Either way it's unfair to someone. Or just dump dividing sport by sex and only have one category. I would generally discourage that.

Do you want to be unfair to the exceptions, or the rule?

I side with women & their safety

"Exceptions" as you put it, could have their own sports exhibition in conjunction with the games and be celebrated accordingly.

Your thoughts....
Girl dad here as well...No f*cking way would I allow a man to compete against my daughters in a sport.
Now, this boxer seems to be a bit of a biological/physiological outlier, but, if they have the chromosomes to be a man, and their body produces enough testosterone for them to register as a man, then they should compete as a man.

Some people might say "well, that's not fair" .
Hey, life aint fair. Get over it.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Girl dad here as well...No f*cking way would I allow a man to compete against my daughters in a sport.
Now, this boxer seems to be a bit of a biological/physiological outlier, but, if they have the chromosomes to be a man, and their body produces enough testosterone for them to register as a man, then they should compete as a man.

Some people might say "well, that's not fair" .
Hey, life aint fair. Get over it.
Agreed.
As far as fairness....have a separate division at the event.

If the individual was born with a “outie” then, for sports, he competes with the “outies”, if she is born with an “innie” she can decide which group she wants to compete with.

The rules that applied 20 yrs ago should still apply today.

I myself would not want to compete in the gladiator arena with a giant lion who “identifies” as a human.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Then there is this guy, who seems as if he just stopped by for shooting practice, showing the true Olympics spirit and proving himself worthy to be an Honorary Boilermaker.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT