ADVERTISEMENT

This Year's Recruiting Class

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I am assuming that they are going to have the early signing period in November again. We have been stuck at 10 verbals for quite sometime. I realize that there are recruiting dead periods right now, but there does not seem to be anyone close to being our next verbal. This could change when we get back to playing, and people getting to see us on tv and being back in the recruits mind.

However, I think some of it has to do with the class size too. How many can we take this year in the 2021 class? I am assuming that the special NCAA rule this year of allowing players to play this year without losing a year of eligibility has nothing to do with that number that we can take. I could be wrong in that assumption though.

It's almost like the players in their final year of eligibility this year will not exist on the roster next year (for purposes of counting scholarships).

The roster limitations are back to normal for the 2022 roster.

That should help programs like Purdue... programs working to establish depth. We can more easily sell PT. Those programs with established depth will have a harder time selling PT in 2021.

It's certainly odd. There's probably going to be a trickle down effect with HS players decommitting because situations are different at the school they committed to. I think having a small recruiting class doesn't really effect us too badly. Obviously there are targets still out there like Yanni and others, but it's not all that necessary to have a 20-25 player class this year.

I am assuming that they are going to have the early signing period in November again. We have been stuck at 10 verbals for quite sometime. I realize that there are recruiting dead periods right now, but there does not seem to be anyone close to being our next verbal. This could change when we get back to playing, and people getting to see us on tv and being back in the recruits mind.

However, I think some of it has to do with the class size too. How many can we take this year in the 2021 class? I am assuming that the special NCAA rule this year of allowing players to play this year without losing a year of eligibility has nothing to do with that number that we can take. I could be wrong in that assumption though.
Early signing period is 3rd week of December

Recruiting is going to be a mess this season.

You guys are just really fortunate with the amount of young talent you've got & that it was gong to be a small class anyway. You can afford a, for lack of a better word, "lackluster" class this year.

But on the whole, you've got very solid QB, WR, & OL commits. If Yanni commits eventually, that'll be enough of a base, even if the rest of the class is more of a maintenance class or has more "projects" vs. expected stars.

And next year you've got Allen already as a base. So while things may be disappointing so far, I wouldn't sweat too much, or at least until seeing how next year's class ends up.

Recruiting is going to be a mess this season.

You guys are just really fortunate with the amount of young talent you've got & that it was gong to be a small class anyway. You can afford a, for lack of a better word, "lackluster" class this year.

But on the whole, you've got very solid QB, WR, & OL commits. If Yanni commits eventually, that'll be enough of a base, even if the rest of the class is more of a maintenance class or has more "projects" vs. expected stars.

And next year you've got Allen already as a base. So while things may be disappointing so far, I wouldn't sweat too much, or at least until seeing how next year's class ends up.
Reasonable take. The timing works out ok for a mediocre recruiting class in 2021 with so much talent returning with 4 more years of eligibility from the 2020 class (plus 2019 redshirts). Now how many of those will actually be around for a fifth/sixth year? Who knows. But if Brohm rebounds with strong '22 and '23 classes (which I expect he will) it won't matter much.

Fifth or sixth year? NONE. I hope they’re all in the NFL.

Last year was supposedly going to be a small class and on paper it seemed like it HAD to be.

Then it just kept growing and growing.

This year then seems to be where Purdue hauls in a small class (both for difficulty in selling our top targets site unseen and because we don't want to reach on guys we can't evaluate in person) with December 2021 signees from the next class (and perhaps some spring & summer incoming transfers as well) being backdated to count against 2021 instead of 2022.

Realistically it makes a ton of sense with how young the team is and the insanity that is the current recruiting landscape.

It seems like this could lead to a really messed up recruiting cycle for the 2021 class, as a lot of guys who'd have otherwise been D1 recruits might end up forced to go the JUCO or 5th year prep route for a year to prove themselves (that or settle for "lesser" offers, perhaps causing a resurgence in the non-BCS programs, at least until freedom of movement legislation leaves them decimated). I can't imagine just how insane the spring will be if recruiting opens back up then, as you might have soon to graduate seniors still trying to pick up late scholarship offers or maybe just preferred walk-on opportunities, alongside the usual parade of juniors who will be getting in their early visits before the summer camp circuit (which will also be nuts).

Reasonable take. The timing works out ok for a mediocre recruiting class in 2021 with so much talent returning with 4 more years of eligibility from the 2020 class (plus 2019 redshirts). Now how many of those will actually be around for a fifth/sixth year? Who knows. But if Brohm rebounds with strong '22 and '23 classes (which I expect he will) it won't matter much.
There are very few SRs left on the team at this point. We don't have that many scholarships to give out this year anyway. With Covid the timing for having a small class is fortuitous.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT