ADVERTISEMENT

This year vs Last year

Dec 7, 2018
i think by the end of the season this team will be better than the one that ended last season. Once the young guys get enough PT they will grow into their roles and we will be more versatile. We are already better defensively as Haas was a giant liability when it came to defense and rebounding. The more EW plays, the better this team gets.

i think by the end of the season this team will be better than the one that ended last season. Once the young guys get enough PT they will grow into their roles and we will be more versatile. We are already better defensively as Haas was a giant liability when it came to defense and rebounding. The more EW plays, the better this team gets.
Hummm, hope you are right. Yes, Carson is better. Cline replaces Mathias adequately. Easter replaces PJ. Haarms equals Haas....not do sure. Do we believe AW replaces Vince’s value by year end?

Bench may be a bit thinner...but maybe not on second thought.

It would be remarkable coaching if it happens.

Reactions: BTFU2
Hummm, hope you are right. Yes, Carson is better. Cline replaces Mathias adequately. Easter replaces PJ. Haarms equals Haas....not do sure. Do we believe AW replaces Vince’s value by year end?

Bench may be a bit thinner...but maybe not on second thought.

It would be remarkable coaching if it happens.
Not sure you can compare NE and PJ. Even though they play the same position, their games are 180 degree different. You trade PJs 3 pt shooting for N E’s defense and rebounding.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
I said before the first practice that this team would be better than last year's by tourney time. If...and that's a big IF...Wheeler and Sasha can continue to contribute as they have lately that will go a long way. Boudreaux has been a great surprise, as has Grady and both play their roles the way they should. Cline is what I thought he would be, Nojel has learned how to play Painter defense and though I'd love to see him shoot the ball effectively, as I told his mama, "If he never scores but plays lock down defense on the other team's best player" that will be a great thing.

The two things that bothers me is that Carson continues to, at times, play out of control, forcing and taking bad shots, and Haarms needs to step it up every night. Painter's coaching at this part of the season with a young team IMHO has been one of his best jobs.

Reactions: 70boiler
I said before the first practice that this team would be better than last year's by tourney time. If...and that's a big IF...Wheeler and Sasha can continue to contribute as they have lately that will go a long way. Boudreaux has been a great surprise, as has Grady and both play their roles the way they should. Cline is what I thought he would be, Nojel has learned how to play Painter defense and though I'd love to see him shoot the ball effectively, as I told his mama, "If he never scores but plays lock down defense on the other team's best player" that will be a great thing.

The two things that bothers me is that Carson continues to, at times, play out of control, forcing and taking bad shots, and Haarms needs to step it up every night. Painter's coaching at this part of the season with a young team IMHO has been one of his best jobs.

I think it can be as good as the team was without Haas. That's still solid, but not a Final Four caliber team which last year's team was. For some reason, this forum was always down on Haas - he was what truly made that team tick.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Rather than trying to compare this year's team with last year, the more important question is how does this year's team compare against its current competition? The answer to that question will determine what they will end up accomplishing.

Reactions: rjmpu82
I think it can be as good as the team was without Haas. That's still solid, but not a Final Four caliber team which last year's team was. For some reason, this forum was always down on Haas - he was what truly made that team tick.
Yep. Haas was a very important part of last season’s team.

I think that this year’s team might be a year away from being a Big Ten title contender if Carsen returns.

Final Four caliber last year? I thought Sweet 16 with or without Haas.

I think that this team can be really good if Haarms and Wheeler keep progressing and both keep shooting well from outside. It’s early, but Haarms is 3 for 8 from 3 and Wheeler is 9 for 21. If they both can remain solid threats from outside, I think their minutes increase because they have higher ceilings than Boudreaux and Eifert and their outside shooting, along with Cline’s, will really open things up for Edwards and Eastern.

I think that this team can be really good if Haarms and Wheeler keep progressing and both keep shooting well from outside. It’s early, but Haarms is 3 for 8 from 3 and Wheeler is 9 for 21. If they both can remain solid threats from outside, I think their minutes increase because they have higher ceilings than Boudreaux and Eifert and their outside shooting, along with Cline’s, will really open things up for Edwards and Eastern.
I also would love to see some pick and roll action with Edwards and Wheeler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT