ADVERTISEMENT

The way out of poverty is through education

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
So why is the left against school choice, vouchers, and charter schools? Why does the left tell impoverished children looking for a better education that they must remain in schools that have failed so many before them? If the left truly cared about the poor, they would allow these children to go to the school of their choice and have their tax $ follow them. I think we'd see a massive shift in education quality if schools were forced to treat their students/families like customers who have other options for the same services.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Private charter schools have proven time and time again to provide worse outcomes for students both in actual quality of education and in post-graduation employment metrics.

Not to mention the many stories of grifter charter schools bilking the taxpaying public for millions: https://fox59.com/news/audit-2-indiana-online-schools-misspent-nearly-86-million/

By that standard we should also get rid of welfare since it too can be scammed.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
By that standard we should also get rid of welfare since it too can be scammed.

Yeah except welfare is a good thing and keeps people housed and fed. Charter schools suck ass and do worse than public schools at basically everything.

Private charter schools have proven time and time again to provide worse outcomes for students both in actual quality of education and in post-graduation employment metrics.

Not to mention the many stories of grifter charter schools bilking the taxpaying public for millions: https://fox59.com/news/audit-2-indiana-online-schools-misspent-nearly-86-million/
Ok - why not give these kids vouchers to go where they can get a better education to lift themselves out of poverty?

Teddy, are all charter schools on line schools? I think not, thus your link talking about on line charter school fraud is bogus flaming. . Have you ever seen any audits of public schools?

finally. Charter schools are superior

Teddy, are all charter schools on line schools? I think not, thus your link talking about on line charter school fraud is bogus flaming. . Have you ever seen any audits of public schools?

finally. Charter schools are superior

Bruce, are all public schools in DC? I think not, thus your link talking about DC public schools is bogus flaming. Have you ever seen any audits of my ass? Because it's worth more than the paid blog you posted from a PPI think tank stooge.

Bruce, are all public schools in DC? I think not, thus your link talking about DC public schools is bogus flaming. Have you ever seen any audits of my ass? Because it's worth more than the paid blog you posted from a PPI think tank stooge.
there are reports documenting cases all over the country, Teddy. You know that. Are you or your wife teachers, Union leaders, or in other public school related jobs?

where are your comments about the Forbes report? Charter schools are not without issues for sure but claiming falsely that charter schools out perform public schools is bogus. Charter schools happened because public schools failed in educating our kids, plain and simple.

I have a professor friend with Northeastern College in Ill who was lamenting that they had to create a new english course, English 095 specifically for incoming Frosh because they couldn’t even qualify for English 101.

My daughter worked in a community college office that handled student aid applications. She said mothers of students had to come in and fill the applications because their high school grads could even fill out forms with their name, address, and SS #. That’s our public schools, Teddy

A simple search “fraud in public school system”. Turns up hundreds of reports from all over the country about cheating, fraud, and other crimes through our public school system.

So why is the left against school choice, vouchers, and charter schools? Why does the left tell impoverished children looking for a better education that they must remain in schools that have failed so many before them? If the left truly cared about the poor, they would allow these children to go to the school of their choice and have their tax $ follow them. I think we'd see a massive shift in education quality if schools were forced to treat their students/families like customers who have other options for the same services.
If you educate the public well and allow them to prosper and accumulate wealth they are no longer suitable Democrat controlled voters.

Gary, IN has 3 charter schools and all 3 are jacked up.

there are reports documenting cases all over the country, Teddy. You know that. Are you or your wife teachers, Union leaders, or in other public school related jobs?

where are your comments about the Forbes report? Charter schools are not without issues for sure but claiming falsely that charter schools out perform public schools is bogus. Charter schools happened because public schools failed in educating our kids, plain and simple.

I have a professor friend with Northeastern College in Ill who was lamenting that they had to create a new english course, English 095 specifically for incoming Frosh because they couldn’t even qualify for English 101.

My daughter worked in a community college office that handled student aid applications. She said mothers of students had to come in and fill the applications because their high school grads could even fill out forms with their name, address, and SS #. That’s our public schools, Teddy

A simple search “fraud in public school system”. Turns up hundreds of reports from all over the country about cheating, fraud, and other crimes through our public school system.

For the most part, the public schools are not the problem per se. There are good teachers even in the inner city public schools. The problem are the kids that attend these schools. A lot of these kids bring the violence from the streets to the schools. Discipline is the main issue that does not translate to a good learning environment.

Reactions: BoilerJS
Hence why the states with the worst-performing public schools are always in deep red states, right?
Not Teddy, do you ever check anything out before you post? Nope!

For the most part, the public schools are not the problem per se. There are good teachers even in the inner city public schools. The problem are the kids that attend these schools. A lot of these kids bring the violence from the streets to the schools. Discipline is the main issue that does not translate to a good learning environment.
I totally agree that there are great teachers in virtually all schools. That said, public schools routinely pass kids who cannot to the work where charter schools are not required to do so. If the public schools were doing their job there would be no demand for charter schools

Time and time again? Yes there are some bad eggs, but charter schools on the whole are just as good or better than public schools. You're painting a picture that charter is worse when reality is that they are at worst equal to public schools.

Got proof?

Yeh...I got proof. When I worked on the south side of Chicago, there'd be 10-15 men sitting on milk crates in the parking lot of the liquor store during the middle of the day. They should have been working, but they were using drinking 40s and scatching off lotto tickets.

Yeh...I got proof. When I worked on the south side of Chicago, there'd be 10-15 men sitting on milk crates in the parking lot of the liquor store during the middle of the day. They should have been working, but they were using drinking 40s and scatching off lotto tickets.

Because of welfare? Maybe they worked nights. Maybe they were criminals and got their money illegally. Maybe somebody in their family supported them. Maybe they were between jobs.

You can justify any belief you want if you use anecdotal evidence.

Because of welfare? Maybe they worked nights. Maybe they were criminals and got their money illegally. Maybe somebody in their family supported them. Maybe they were between jobs.

You can justify any belief you want if you use anecdotal evidence.
You can also make any excuse you want for anything you want if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: Level 42
You can also make any excuse you want for anything you want if it makes you feel better.

Not making excuses. Giving you alternative explanations since we do t know the real reason. Also, do you think it is possible that welfare can help people get on their feet so that they can become contributing members to the economy? Shouldnt this be balanced against people abusing the system?

Not making excuses. Giving you alternative explanations since we do t know the real reason. Also, do you think it is possible that welfare can help people get on their feet so that they can become contributing members to the economy? Shouldnt this be balanced against people abusing the system?
These and other comments tell my you have no experience dealing with the inner city or poverty stricken areas, that most of your "life experience" comes from the media and not your own eyes or personal experiences.

There are generations of families that have relied on welfare. It's the way they're brought up and the way they'll continue to live.

Yes, welfare can help some people and it's abused by others, but there's a huge segment of welfare recipients who have no intention, whatsoever, of ever getting off welfare.

These and other comments tell my you have no experience dealing with the inner city or poverty stricken areas, that most of your "life experience" comes from the media and not your own eyes or personal experiences.

There are generations of families that have relied on welfare. It's the way they're brought up and the way they'll continue to live.

Yes, welfare can help some people and it's abused by others, but there's a huge segment of welfare recipients who have no intention, whatsoever, of ever getting off welfare.

Does it outweigh the ones it helps? Your own eyes and experiences don’t mean anything for questions like this. Only data does.

Does it outweigh the ones it helps? Your own eyes and experiences don’t mean anything for questions like this. Only data does.
I'm fine with temporary welfare. But, there needs to be a limit, there needs to be a work requirement and it needs to have an expiration date.
If you're a woman of child bearing age, contraception should also be required if you're going to be on welfare.

The way out of poverty is hard work and individual responsibility, plus marriage.

Get a job. Work hard. Play by the rules. Save your money. Get married. You will be middle class in no time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT