ADVERTISEMENT

The Starting Lineup is Garbage!

Gotta give the guy the starting spot versus Texas next game! If I was Eifert I would tell Coach Painter the same. Eifert had an above average game himself, but Wheeler was one of the main reasons we got the W.

Well said. I don’t think Eifert is useless... he has a role on this team... but Wheeler needs to be starting. We need to get off to better starts.

Well said. I don’t think Eifert is useless... he has a role on this team... but Wheeler needs to be starting. We need to get off to better starts.
Wheeler isn't starting because he is foul prone most likely. It was mentioned last night during the game even.

We need to stop fixating on who does and doesn't start because it is grossly irrelevant anymore. Grady comes out very quickly and then only comes in when Wheeler needs a rest.

That being said, I fully expect that once Wheeler learns to not foul he'll crack the starting lineup and last night was a big step.

Wheeler isn't starting because he is foul prone most likely. It was mentioned last night during the game even.

We need to stop fixating on who does and doesn't start because it is grossly irrelevant anymore. Grady comes out very quickly and then only comes in when Wheeler needs a rest.

That being said, I fully expect that once Wheeler learns to not foul he'll crack the starting lineup and last night was a big step.

If Grady comes out very quickly and then only comes back in when Wheeler needs a rest then that tells me Wheeler is the better player and should be starting.

2oee49.jpg

If Grady comes out very quickly and then only comes back in when Wheeler needs a rest then that tells me Wheeler is the better player and should be starting.
Apparently you missed the comment about Wheeler being foul prone early on. We don't need him picking up cheap fouls to start the game.

The process is working, so no need to change. Plus, who starts is massively irrelevant as it's who has the most minutes in today's game. That has been discussed on here a plethora of times with supporting data.

They mentioned it jokingly and then pointed out he only had one foul, in 21 minutes.

Wheeler and Eifert both played well. Cline and Carsen (outside of his phenomenal game saving effort from the ft line) struggled. Purdue greatly needed somebody to step up and it was Wheeler? Can he do that consistently yet? That remains to be seen. But he earned his playing time for sure.

I like the lineup a lot more with Wheeler. Grady only fits when he is knocking down open threes. Wheeler is longer and more athletic, and when his shot is falling, he is a nightmare for the opposing teams. With the Big Ten being much improved, Purdue will need improvement and great effort from both Grady and Wheeler all year. The 4 is the biggest question this year.

The defense was key. Nojel was fantastic on defense again. Maryland doesn’t have a good half court offense, but Purdue absolutely shut them down.

Purdue didn’t play very well. Haarms and EB were held quiet most of the night (12pts 7rebs between them), Cline was ice cold, and outside of Wheeler there was almost no points off the bench. Carsen ended with 20, but 9 of those points came from the ft line and he was 3-9 from 3 and 1-6 from 2 and 3 turnovers. That just shows you how impressive the win was. It was a team effort and Purdue’s defense down the stretch won that game. Forced a pair of late shot clock violations with some steals, a huge Nojel block, and timely rebounds (outside of the ball bouncing off Carsen’s foot and going out of bounds with under 3 seconds to play). It was a battle all game and the good guys came out on top. Loved the effort and ability to win ugly. They definitely needed that game and found a way. Gritty win.

Reactions: overthetop16
I think this is a case of bringing a young player along slowly. Having Wheeler off the bench at the 1st tv timeout allows him to get a feel for the game. As he gains experience he will eventually land the starter's job. At any rate he should see his floor time only increase as the season goes on. Btfu!
Better assessment than I gave and I think is probably closer to what is going on.

Shouldn't the conversation be focused around total minutes and who finishes the game on the floor, not who starts? If you look at the last 2 games, Wheeler has more minutes than Eifert and Boudreaux. I know it wasn't like that prior to that, but when you have 5 new guys getting some minutes, then it is going to take time to sort out the rotations. I was calling for Boudreaux over Grady prior to the last 2 games and then Evan has struggled.

Eifert finished the game last night due to him being a better FT shooter than the other options, but it was Wheeler getting the bulk of the minutes.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I think this is a case of bringing a young player along slowly. Having Wheeler off the bench at the 1st tv timeout allows him to get a feel for the game. As he gains experience he will eventually land the starter's job. At any rate he should see his floor time only increase as the season goes on. Btfu!
This^. I like Wheeler off the bench right now. Grady is steady and makes few mistakes.

first time I had the chance to watch your team last night. The Wheeler kid will easily be all-B1G, possibly more, by the time he leaves Purdue. One game does not make a career but his ceiling is pretty damn high. WIthout him on the court you guys probably lose by a couple pts. Btw...Haarms is an enigma.
And that Fernando dude is a beast but didn't seem like he wanted to take the big shot late in the game (didn't seem like anyone on MD's team wanted to).

Games like last night make the difference between NCAA and NIT.

Wheeler (and Stefanovic) are rapidly improving and will get more and more minutes. Eifert doesn’t have much talent, but he’s a senior, hustle guy who knows his role and what he should be doing on the court, so that’s why I think he gets the start. I think Painter has full trust in him. He needs to increase his shooting percentage on those wide open 3s.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I agree that things are working OK with Eifert starting but Wheeler possibly getting more of the minutes. I realize Eifert is the senior starter and all, but it is not like he is a 3 or 4 year starter that you don't want to disappoint. At some point I think you need to acknowledge and reward the young man (Wheeler) for something he has earned! If he continues to play like last night he shouldn't be denied a starting spot! UInless perhaps he is 100% fine with coming off the bench, but I would think the recognition of starting would be a pretty big boost in his confidence and a realization that his hard work is paying off.

Shouldn't the conversation be focused around total minutes and who finishes the game on the floor, not who starts? If you look at the last 2 games, Wheeler has more minutes than Eifert and Boudreaux. I know it wasn't like that prior to that, but when you have 5 new guys getting some minutes, then it is going to take time to sort out the rotations. I was calling for Boudreaux over Grady prior to the last 2 games and then Evan has struggled.

Eifert finished the game last night due to him being a better FT shooter than the other options, but it was Wheeler getting the bulk of the minutes.
No i don't think it should. You typically start your best players. It says something to wheeler if eifert is starting over him imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT