ADVERTISEMENT

The Rebuilt PAC-12 (8? 10?) - Is it a Power Conference Again?

Is the Rebuilt PAC 12 a Power Conference?

• Yes. It's in the Name Brand.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It's all about Revenue$.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
The term Power Conference is not official. Does it apply to the new PAC 12-10-8?
No. They are more mountain west than PAC. The brand meant nothing to the networks when they spurned them. I don’t think there is a clear break between P5 and G5. I would say there still is a big drop off from ACc to them. It’s almost like there are two elite conferences, two good conferences (B12 and ACC), two medium (PAC and American), 2 meh (CUSA and MW), and then the last two (MAC and Sun Belt). So instead of 2 classes of 5 there are 5 classes of 2.

No. They are more mountain west than PAC. The brand meant nothing to the networks when they spurned them. I don’t think there is a clear break between P5 and G5. I would say there still is a big drop off from ACc to them. It’s almost like there are two elite conferences, two good conferences (B12 and ACC), two medium (PAC and American), 2 meh (CUSA and MW), and then the last two (MAC and Sun Belt). So instead of 2 classes of 5 there are 5 classes of 2.
Yeah I've been listening to Oregon State podcasts (bye weeks are boring) and they have a massive chip on their shoulders. They go out of their way to say they're still in the PAC 12 and that they're still a Power 5 conf. They're circling games against B1G so they can prove they still belong. Starting with Oregon. Then us.

Entertaining listens.

Yeah I've been listening to Oregon State podcasts (bye weeks are boring) and they have a massive chip on their shoulders. They go out of their way to say they're still in the PAC 12 and that they're still a Power 5 conf. They're circling games against B1G so they can prove they still belong. Starting with Oregon. Then us.

Entertaining listens.
I feel a little bad for them. They lost a lot in the transfer portal, and overall took a step back. But the whole chip on the shoulder scares me.

No. In football - FBS, there are quickly becoming just two "power" conference tiers, with the SEC and the Big Ten (plus how many?) at the top and ACC, Big XII for now getting some say from the little table. From what I've seen so far, the Big Ten is overrated again this year (surprise). I am still hopeful in my lifetime to see the the ultimate Big 64.

Ironically, the old conference was the Pac-8 (Pacific Athletic Conference) -

USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford
California (Berkeley)
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington State

The original Big 8

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Colorado

The regional rivalries and presence - plus the ability for fans to travel relatively easier than today.....is unfortunately for some/many, seemingly something from the distant past.

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT