ADVERTISEMENT

The Rebuild - 2017 class

BoilerGuru

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
West Chester, PA (the Best Chester)
Brohm's first class was really a bastard class of merging whatever was left from Hazell that was worth keeping - just to keep some bodies in the class, and whatever Brohm could scrap together quickly - this class included some guys switching from WKU and other guys Brohm knew about that he could offer and get quickly.

TJ Jallow - JUCO safety who was tossed off the team because he would go full speed and hit Anthrop in practice when it wasn't time to go full speed. Now at Mississippi College

Nick Sipe - Hazell hold over - retired from football due to back injury

Dedrick Mackey - Current starter at CB. I'm in the camp that I think it is shocking he is still a starter, but other people think he's the best cover guy on the team. At the very least he's a solid contributor.

Tyler Hamilton - transferred to Eastern Illinois

DJ Edwards - I remember thinking this guy was a huge get, I couldn't even find where he was during a quick internet search

Isaac Zico - Home run of a JUCO WR

Griffin Alstott - transferred to Western Michigan

Mark Stickford - was a starter last year, hasn't seen the field this year. I don't know how to rate him - seems he was over recruited, but compared to the previous groups of lineman, he's at least a guy who adds depth

Viktor Beach - retired due to back injury, was a starter

Darius Pittman - transferred to Temple

Ethan Smart - JUCO lineman who I don't think ever played a snap

D. J. Washington - starter/rotation player at RG

Robert McWilliams - in the rotation on the defensive line

Keyron Catlett - transferred to Hampton University

Giovanni Reviere - transferred to University of Tennessee Chatanooga

Tobias Larry - dismissed from team, now at Tennessee State

Jalen Jackson - transferred to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M

Kai Higgens - JUCO DE who was a starter

Ray Ellis - JUCO DT who played sparringly

Terry Wright - Home run of a JUCO WR

Allen Daniels - transferred to Tennessee St

Cornel Jones - walk on at FSU now (maybe?)

Jacob Abrams - he transferred, couldn't find out to where he went

Derrick Barnes - multiple year starter at multiple positions

Kenneth Major - transferred to WKU

Devon Connors - not on the roster currently

Sam Garvin - starter at Center

Alexander Horvath - starting RB

Aiden O'Connell - starter/backup QB

LePerion Perry - I don't think he qualified and he is at West Georgia U.

So this class did provide 2 starter quality lineman, and another who is was a starter and is now depth. This is where Purdue got its best LB, in Barnes. along with starting RB and former starting QB. There is also a starter at CB and a guy giving depth on the defensive line. There are some former starters from this class, but they are all gone and all transferred down (sometimes way down). Brohm did hit a homerun with Zico and Wright for receivers - hitting on 1 JUCO receiver is usually pretty good, he came up 7 11 with these 2 guys. That's the thing with JUCOs though - they aren't in the program long and they take up a spot that could be spent developing a 4 year guy.

Remember the spring practice reports from 2017 - Purdue was trying anyone they could at receiver trying to find anyone who could add a speed element and make a play. The offensive line literally didn't have enough guys - we were bailed out by Steinmetz (hugely underrated guy), and Shane Evans. On the defensive lines Brohm got one chaotic year out of Eddy Wilson that year to help with Robinson, Neal, Watts, and Keiwon Jones (amazingly that was not a bad rotation of upperclassmen at the time). There was not much else in the pipelines - Hermanns was already starting at one of the tackle spots - we just didn't have anything in the pipeline.

In 1997 - Tiller's first class really didn't have a ton of guys pan out - but the guys who did pan out were major contributors (Brees, Stratton, Sutherland, Adeleye eventually, Clopton, and Jason Lorenzen) and helped lay a foundation. Now, Colletto left behind more lineman (but Tiller still dismissed a few guys from the roster and I remember Tiller saying he told them flat out they weren't Div I football players). 1997 was a much different time as back then the Big Ten offers carried a lot more weight. Today, guys can go to the MAC and still be on TV every week and get exposure, and probably get to the field faster and play their desired position.

Essentially though, the prior class and this one were contained quite a lot of washouts - this was Brohm throwing darts hoping something would stick. He his best classes were still in the future and based on what we were seeing with grad transfers, Brohm was building relationships with HS sophs and jrs and putting together future classes and

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News