ADVERTISEMENT

The need is for a powerful recruiter/assistant HC

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Amidst all of the groaning and moaning about CMP, I've said for the past two-three years that he needs a different staff...guys who can recruit and sell the deal.

When the Baby Boilers were recruited, Cunzo was the Associate head coach who did a ton of recruiting. I know Matt's loyal, and I know Gary is a great guy, and I knew his dad when Greg was being recruited..but he just doesn't strike me at a guy who can close a high focus player. I'd keep him but I'd go after someone like Ed Schilling at IU, who is the very reason Lil' Arch is getting in-state high dollar recruits. Every program that's getting top recruits has that guy.

I have no problem with Matt's coaching, but I do have a problem with him not having a closer on his staff.

Amidst all of the groaning and moaning about CMP, I've said for the past two-three years that he needs a different staff...guys who can recruit and sell the deal.

When the Baby Boilers were recruited, Cunzo was the Associate head coach who did a ton of recruiting. I know Matt's loyal, and I know Gary is a great guy, and I knew his dad when Greg was being recruited..but he just doesn't strike me at a guy who can close a high focus player. I'd keep him but I'd go after someone like Ed Schilling at IU, who is the very reason Lil' Arch is getting in-state high dollar recruits. Every program that's getting top recruits has that guy.

I have no problem with Matt's coaching, but I do have a problem with him not having a closer on his staff.
IU's got 3 of them. We need 3 too. Brantley has a good enough track record I believe to stay. Lutz and Gary need to go.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If you look at Brohm, GK is probably his best recruiter. Maybe what Painter needs most is to have an elite player with elite friends. What Painter needs is to have a recruit selected to a USA team and the convince his friends to play for Purdue. Isn't that what GK is dong?

If you look at Brohm, GK is probably his best recruiter. Maybe what Painter needs most is to have an elite player with elite friends. What Painter needs is to have a recruit selected to a USA team and the convince his friends to play for Purdue. Isn't that what GK is dong?
You have Painter as a member of USA basketball and he evaluated and coaches these young kids.

You had Carsen playing for team USA plus an All American year and didn’t use that to covert any recruits.

I agree we need people good at selling and closing recruits. No offense to Gary or Lutz but time for a change. Maybe a bad season is what forces Painter to change.

That doesn’t work in basketball

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Schilling played a very small part in Trayce Jackson Davis. Tom Ostrom was the lead recruiter in that one. Obviously Schilling has helped with Brooks since he knows the family well but Bruiser has been the lead recruiter for that one.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
We need to have a good recruiter on the staff in order to recruit that elite recruit in the first place.
You might want to edit the last word in your post.

Last edited:
Word in basketball coaching circles is that Schilling really wanted to be a member of the Purdue staff a full year before he went to IU, but that Painter wasn't interested for ethical reasons. Remember there are two shoe company related trials still to come and more names will be mentioned...

Word in basketball coaching circles is that Schilling really wanted to be a member of the Purdue staff a full year before he went to IU, but that Painter wasn't interested for ethical reasons. Remember there are two shoe company related trials still to come and more names will be mentioned...

Dude...come on now

lol First Purdue is at a disadvantage because they won't look at "shady" recruits, now they won't look at "shady" assistant coaches either. Man, it must be tough being the only ethical program in the country and suffering because of it.....wow, will the excuses never stop?

lol First Purdue is at a disadvantage because they won't look at "shady" recruits, now they won't look at "shady" assistant coaches either. Man, it must be tough being the only ethical program in the country and suffering because of it.....wow, will the excuses never stop?

laugh at me if you want - - I won't be offended because I know this "coach speak" to be the actual word among working coaches. Usually when there is smoke there is fire - - Schilling wanted out of UCLA pretty badly...

laugh at me if you want - - I won't be offended because I know this "coach speak" to be the actual word among working coaches. Usually when there is smoke there is fire - - Schilling wanted out of UCLA pretty badly...
So instead of hiring Schilling, Painter decided to hire... Lutz.

I would agree. You need that great recruiter to get that elite player first and we don't have one. But a lot of elite players actually do recruit their elite friends as part of package deals in basketball. Purdue could have had Zachary Randolph if they would have accepted his buddy. It was said Purdue could have had Howard if they accepted his friend. Didn't Michigan's fan 5 all go there as sort of a package deal? There are many more package deal recruitments that have existed.

But yes, the key to using a player to help recruiting is to have a coach who can actually recruit that initial elite player. It's a lot easier for a top 25 player to attract other players than it is for a top 225 player .

One thing I can tell you is MBob is about winning-unlike Burke. Matt has created a very good culture however at the end of the day you have to produce in the tourney. Loyola Chicago made the freaking final four last year, let that set in.
Kids don't care about conference titles. no reason we shouldn't be able to recruit at a high level each year in the midwest, including occasionally Chicago.
I think Painter has positioned Purdue as well as he can with certain guys-and been the brides maid two many times to count.
The conference is recruiting at a high level right now, and if you have 1 or 2 subpar classes your going to get eaten up, that's the concern. Michigan-Sparty-IU-Ohio State-Iowa are all recruiting well, and Illinois will be there to.

Look at our PF/SF depth for next year if that doesn't say anything.

Reactions: Inspector100
Agreed. What has Lutz contributed since he was brought on with recruiting being the top reason?
He was supposed to be a great recruiter with all kinds of Texas connections. Hasn’t panned out so far. I agree with the sentiment here. We need an infusion of recruiting talent. Sadly, Painter had Kenneth Lowe on his staff but he left for Miami-OH with Jack Owens. Lowe could have been a good recruiter for Purdue and Jack Owens was seemingly better than Lutz is.

Reactions: purduepat1969
He was supposed to be a great recruiter with all kinds of Texas connections. Hasn’t panned out so far. I agree with the sentiment here. We need an infusion of recruiting talent. Sadly, Painter had Kenneth Lowe on his staff but he left for Miami-OH with Jack Owens. Lowe could have been a good recruiter for Purdue and Jack Owens was seemingly better than Lutz is.
I am willing to admit that I was fine with letting Lowe go with Owens because we are a big time program and he needs to earn his stripes.

At this point I agree, we need some young fresh blood.

To be fair, unless you already have some kids "in the pipeline" (these tend to also be quasi-shady), recruiting can take time when people have committed 2+ years out.

That being said, Lutz is making almost $100k less than some of his peers in the Big Ten. His benchmarks would be low tier SEC or non-Power 5 conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT