ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the Room

70boiler

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003
Peoria, Illinois
is not the coaching, the point guard, Davis, Edwards or Hammons/Haas, but a mistake by a freshman in a pressure situation. I support Cline and am certainly willing to give him oretty much a pass for a bad shot he selected. The Boilers were in the position to win and didn't.
Cline doesn't need a bunch of crap from a board I am sure.
We need to write this one off and move on.

is not the coaching, the point guard, Davis, Edwards or Hammons/Haas, but a mistake by a freshman in a pressure situation. I support Cline and am certainly willing to give him oretty much a pass for a bad shot he selected. The Boilers were in the position to win and didn't.
Well, I'm sure calling him out like that in a new thread will probably reduce the odds that he gets a bunch of crap.

Same ill-timed 3 point shot in same situation by an upper classman in the KU Oklahoma game.

im not mad at him. at least he has a nutsack. it should never have been a 1 possession game. vince, ray, hill, dakota no shows. we were lazy and weak, half effort, no killer instinct and putrid to close both halves. its hard to believe this team is capable of playing so poorly.

That shot was not good, but is far from the elephant in the room. We should have won that game going away.

I don't mind RC taking the shot. If he hits it we are saying what a bright future we have. This game in my opinion is on the seniors..RD and AJ. Neither played well and Purdue is a 4 year program that has to have senior leadership. It didn't happen today.

I don't blame Cline one bit. Hammons and Haas were missing 3-4 footers the entire second half so why not have Cline take the 3 pt shot? Had as much chance going in.

im not mad at him. at least he has a nutsack. it should never have been a 1 possession game. vince, ray, hill, dakota no shows. we were lazy and weak, half effort, no killer instinct and putrid to close both halves. its hard to believe this team is capable of playing so poorly.
...and Biggie with all his mental mistakes shows no intention of backing down. He hits his last two great shots and people aren't talking about a loss

Reactions: rjmpu82

Let me add that this group seems to have a conditioning issue. Therefore, turnovers and badly missed shots late in each half.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I actually like the shot. He was open in transition, if he knocks that down, we probably win. We weren't getting anything in the half court the last 4 or 5 min.

I actually like the shot. He was open in transition, if he knocks that down, we probably win. We weren't getting anything in the half court the last 4 or 5 min.
But how can that happen...that makes no sense...against an undersized team especially...when the entire focus of your offense is playing big and through your bigs, you HAVE to be able to get something in the half court in the final 4 - 5 minutes...simply no excuse in the world for not being able to, never mind not doing so.

But how can that happen...that makes no sense...against an undersized team especially...when the entire focus of your offense is playing big and through your bigs, you HAVE to be able to get something in the half court in the final 4 - 5 minutes...simply no excuse in the world for not being able to, never mind not doing so.
I don't disagree, but with CMP not going to call a TO and get them organized, that's what happens.

Two freshman out scored three Seniors.
RC has efficient "roll player" stat lines and played good position defense the past two games. CS scored well this game but his rebounding was uncharacteristicly weak most of the game.

Two freshman out scored three Seniors.
RC has efficient "roll player" stat lines and played good position defense the past two games. CS scored well this game but his rebounding was uncharacteristicly weak most of the game.
It is as simple as this...Purdue was not ready to play...they mailed it in...they were outplayed and outhustled, never mind outrebounded (which is ridiculous) for the first time the entire year.

Purdue failed to show up for the Illinois game, and they failed to show up today...just as Izzo suggested that the better team won on Tuesday night (which was/is debatable), Michigan was the far better and more deserving team this afternoon...they played as if the game meant something to/for them, and Purdue did not.

Purdue was lousy at Champaign, lousy at Minneapolis, lousy in the second half (again) in Iowa City, blew a golden opportunity at Maryland and was really lousy in Ann Arbor...does not bode well heading down south next weekend.

I don't disagree, but with CMP not going to call a TO and get them organized, that's what happens.
Might buy that for the final possession, but not for the final 4 - 5 minutes...does not mean that it does not still fall at Painter's feet, but, there is blame to be shared as well.

Wow, that was a shot that Cline can make and should have made. It was a little off and did not fall. Do you think he shot it thinking he would miss it? No way, he shot it because he thought he would make it. Take that away from him and he turns into DM. It should have never came down to that shot in the first place. Cline's shot, I have no problem with. Could we have worked the ball and got a better one, maybe.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
These are college players, they shouldn't need a TO to get organized. They know what to do, stop hanging on to stupid ideas like that.

And they didn't need a time out. They got the shots they needed in the last 2 1/2 minutes and didn't make them. If those shots had gone in, people here would be talking a different line. Players 12, 35 and 20 had those shots, and were off balance when they took them. Usually that means they are laboring and afraid of a block, because the opposition impresses them to being faster to the position where the shot is taken. Our players quit moving their feet during that time on both ends of the floor and that spelled poor outcome in shot making, defense and rebounding. That is a sign of fatigue. Michigan had 11 offensive rebounds resulting in 11 points. We get two of those rebounds at the end and we win. Time outs don't help all of this. Better conditioning does.

Last edited:
It is as simple as this...Purdue was not ready to play...they mailed it in...they were outplayed and outhustled, never mind outrebounded (which is ridiculous) for the first time the entire year.

Purdue failed to show up for the Illinois game, and they failed to show up today...just as Izzo suggested that the better team won on Tuesday night (which was/is debatable), Michigan was the far better and more deserving team this afternoon...they played as if the game meant something to/for them, and Purdue did not.

Purdue was lousy at Champaign, lousy at Minneapolis, lousy in the second half (again) in Iowa City, blew a golden opportunity at Maryland and was really lousy in Ann Arbor...does not bode well heading down south next weekend.
absolutely, but nto ready to hand in a win at IU just yet. The refs view of fouls when dribbling and not doing anything might have a say?

Cline should have shot that and I am glad he did. Open look from a shooter who had knocked down 3 already and has the guts to take it. This game was lost by the fact that our 1-3 starters gave us very little offensively. Move Davis to the 3, start cline and bring VE off the bench to light a fire.

Wow, that was a shot that Cline can make and should have made. It was a little off and did not fall. Do you think he shot it thinking he would miss it? No way, he shot it because he thought he would make it. Take that away from him and he turns into DM. It should have never came down to that shot in the first place. Cline's shot, I have no problem with. Could we have worked the ball and got a better one, maybe.
Doubtful we get a better look than Cline got. I might start him in the next game.

Reactions: purdue4sure
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT