ADVERTISEMENT

The Day Purdue Football Died

Cordova was a disaster on so many fronts.
And let's not forget her "husband" and "the first man of Purdue" ...with his $120k annual salary to sharpen pencils over in the student recruitment department.
What a joke.

Sorry, but this is BS. Purdue Football died the day of "the fumble". That's the day Tiller lost it and couldn't get it back. He lost his mojo and quit recruiting (the fishing jokes got real). It steadily declined every year after. Ultimately he left it worse than he found it talent wise. I appreciate what he did early on, but he wasn't fired when he was on the top nor on the rise.

Reactions: R5D4 and Heiner
Sorry, but this is BS. Purdue Football died the day of "the fumble". That's the day Tiller lost it and couldn't get it back. He lost his mojo and quit recruiting (the fishing jokes got real). It steadily declined every year after. Ultimately he left it worse than he found it talent wise. I appreciate what he did early on, but he wasn't fired when he was on the top nor on the rise.

I don't think that was QUITE it. What really lost it was going away from what he'd always done... Get good and even great players from average to above average talent to trying to just bandage everything with people like Lymon, Kyle Williams, Kirsch 2.0, Bushong... Players who might have had better pure measurables than a John Standeford or Adrian Beasley but whose brains and commitment were garbage.

Some players with better measurables like Dorien Bryant excelled in SOME ways, but when that 05 team hit the field it was over. And someone will say assistants... And that's true... But that was what made the body sick. What killed it was trying to field teams where you'd take any ass hole just to try to do what programs with better recruiting did from a physical standpoint.

When we got Lymon, Williams, Kacinko, and on and on and on we were getting the four stars that good recruiting programs could AFFORD to pass on. Penn State or Michigan didn't HAVE to take Selwyn Lymon. They could look at 30 kids in Lymons talent range and pick one who didn't have a ten cent head.

When your top talents end up out of school, meaning kids you put the most effort into... When Lymon, Williams, Bushong, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc could have all been another niko koutivides THAT kills you. Cause that man was no joke.

Go back through the classes... Do it. Sub half our 4 star misses with average but solid players like Ralph turner or Antwaan Rodgers and half with another koutivides, Landon Johnson, John Standeford, Shaun Phillips and you come back here and tell me we aren't still getting an easy annual 7-5 with easy hopes for better in years with good returning groups...

If Bruce Gordon and Jeremy coley are Adrian Beasley then that pick a high school player could make that hit Kyle smith in the middle of his number 7 right around the time of the fumble gets made and the game is over.

Don't get me wrong, the fumble started the down hill spiral, but this is truly where Purdue football died.

someone mentioned it was over when the '05 team took the field. I remember there being a night game against ND that year. Ross-Ade was rocking, hope was in the air and Brady Quinn & the Irish beat the Boilers like they stole something. It was declining after "the fumble", but it started accelerating in '05.

someone mentioned it was over when the '05 team took the field. I remember there being a night game against ND that year. Ross-Ade was rocking, hope was in the air and Brady Quinn & the Irish beat the Boilers like they stole something. It was declining after "the fumble", but it started accelerating in '05.
To be fair, we did rub their faces in shit at their place the year before. That 05 game was awful. I was also there and we were not competitive.

If Bruce Gordon and Jeremy coley are Adrian Beasley then that pick a high school player could make that hit Kyle smith in the middle of his number 7 right around the time of the fumble gets made and the game is over.
truth. that was the very definition of a "cmon man" play.

This is the play that's still fresh in my mind. i didn't think as I was walking out that I'd seen the top already for the boilers. What an electric day to be in W Lala! Game day was touting Orton as the Heisman favorite. Damn shame it came to a crashing halt.

When Smith dropped that pick, I can still remember leaning over and telling my buddy " that's going to cost us..."

Reactions: PUQBMan.
I don't think that was QUITE it. What really lost it was going away from what he'd always done... Get good and even great players from average to above average talent to trying to just bandage everything with people like Lymon, Kyle Williams, Kirsch 2.0, Bushong... Players who might have had better pure measurables than a John Standeford or Adrian Beasley but whose brains and commitment were garbage.

Some players with better measurables like Dorien Bryant excelled in SOME ways, but when that 05 team hit the field it was over. And someone will say assistants... And that's true... But that was what made the body sick. What killed it was trying to field teams where you'd take any ass hole just to try to do what programs with better recruiting did from a physical standpoint.

When we got Lymon, Williams, Kacinko, and on and on and on we were getting the four stars that good recruiting programs could AFFORD to pass on. Penn State or Michigan didn't HAVE to take Selwyn Lymon. They could look at 30 kids in Lymons talent range and pick one who didn't have a ten cent head.

When your top talents end up out of school, meaning kids you put the most effort into... When Lymon, Williams, Bushong, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc could have all been another niko koutivides THAT kills you. Cause that man was no joke.

Go back through the classes... Do it. Sub half our 4 star misses with average but solid players like Ralph turner or Antwaan Rodgers and half with another koutivides, Landon Johnson, John Standeford, Shaun Phillips and you come back here and tell me we aren't still getting an easy annual 7-5 with easy hopes for better in years with good returning groups...
No one has explained it better than this. The attrition some of those classes experienced is ridiculous.

as it's happening you just never realized that we all thought we needed that one game breaker

I was watching that game and it felt like what I had only heard described regarding the years before tiller.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT