ADVERTISEMENT

the big losers

TopSecretBoiler

All-American
Feb 4, 2011
1. obamacare - the single biggest tax increase many americans have ever seen came home to roost in a big way. Clearly this bill needs some work.
2. professional pollsters - oh buddy! This election result was 2 standard deviations off the mean for most of the big boys. Back to the drawing board. I was truly stunned at how bad the polls performed.
3. liberal media - The absolute vitriol toward the problems of the working class backfired in a big way. You'd think after the romney 47% comment candidates would have learned to not attack the electorate.
4. women - easily the most mistreated and under-represented group of people in history. Hillary would have been a big win for women in a general sense. I can fully understand the disappointment here. hopefully trump does not ignore the family issues he raised during the campaign.
5. china - run for the hills. you can't say you haven't had it coming.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
1. obamacare - the single biggest tax increase many americans have ever seen came home to roost in a big way. Clearly this bill needs some work.
2. professional pollsters - oh buddy! This election result was 2 standard deviations off the mean for most of the big boys. Back to the drawing board. I was truly stunned at how bad the polls performed.
3. liberal media - The absolute vitriol toward the problems of the working class backfired in a big way. You'd think after the romney 47% comment candidates would have learned to not attack the electorate.
4. women - easily the most mistreated and under-represented group of people in history. Hillary would have been a big win for women in a general sense. I can fully understand the disappointment here. hopefully trump does not ignore the family issues he raised during the campaign.
6. Political Correctness/Leftist Language - Whatever you want to call it. The pendulum was already starting to swing the other way on this for anyone not in a safe space. Last night gave that pendulum a big old shove. Many independents and even conservatives, especially the college educated, have seen their own language in their personal lives, in their work lives, infiltrated with the language of the left. The plain-speak language of Trump, for better and for worse, will be trickling down into every day conversation in a similar manner. Your feels be damned.

6. Political Correctness/Leftist Language - Whatever you want to call it. The pendulum was already starting to swing the other way on this for anyone not in a safe space. Last night gave that pendulum a big old shove. Many independents and even conservatives, especially the college educated, have seen their own language in their personal lives, in their work lives, infiltrated with the language of the left. The plain-speak language of Trump, for better and for worse, will be trickling down into every day conversation in a similar manner. Your feels be damned.

It has certainly shown the ineffectiveness of the progressive movements tactics in this area. Shaming people for perceived racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or whatever anti-social behavior doesn't really shift their core feelings or beliefs, it just suppresses them. People get thick skins, create elaborate rationalizations, and seal themselves inside self affirming bubbles where they can be perfectly sure that they are a good person who is unfairly being persecuted.

Considering everyone as an individual actually takes work. Stereotyping and tribalism are deeply ingrained in our survival instincts. There is a strong cultural tradition that has slowly been pushing us forward though. Religion has the golden rule at its core and the Constitution has that whole equal protection ideal that only took a couple hundred years to actually be effectively codified for all Americans.
Is trying my best to see others as individuals worthy of respect and encouraging others to do the same going to help? I'm not sure, but I think Gandhi was on to something when he said be the change you want to see in the world.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Spot on.

Truth is - HRC only won white women 48% to 44%. The pollsters all had her at double digits. The Ds take women for granted.

Reactions: pboiler18
Spot on.

Truth is - HRC only won white women 48% to 44%. The pollsters all had her at double digits. The Ds take women for granted.
ya i think that was due to a little too much pandering. She would have been waaaaaay better off actually campaigning the issues instead of the "i'm with her" or "don't you wanna see the first female president" junk.

Bigly

It has certainly shown the ineffectiveness of the progressive movements tactics in this area. Shaming people for perceived racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, or whatever anti-social behavior doesn't really shift their core feelings or beliefs, it just suppresses them. People get thick skins, create elaborate rationalizations, and seal themselves inside self affirming bubbles where they can be perfectly sure that they are a good person who is unfairly being persecuted.

Considering everyone as an individual actually takes work. Stereotyping and tribalism are deeply ingrained in our survival instincts. There is a strong cultural tradition that has slowly been pushing us forward though. Religion has the golden rule at its core and the Constitution has that whole equal protection ideal that only took a couple hundred years to actually be effectively codified for all Americans.
Is trying my best to see others as individuals worthy of respect and encouraging others to do the same going to help? I'm not sure, but I think Gandhi was on to something when he said be the change you want to see in the world.

I agree with this, overall good post.

I do feel obliged to point out, though, that Gandhi was a wife-beater, a racist, and a homophobe. Literally--he beat his wife and admitted to it readily in his own writings. If I'm not mistaken he also beat his kids though I'd have to fact-check myself on that. Gandhi was eminently racist against blacks in South Africa, and he was a homophobe who fought to stamp out homosexual art and references in "modern" India culture. (Oh and probably no surprise, he was probably also homosexual himself...)

I only point this out because of the irony of a quote such as "be the change you want to see in the world". At best Gandhi was only a partial embodiment of what we want the world to be, and partially an abomination of that. Although on the whole his legacy is quite angelic, for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT