ADVERTISEMENT

The answer to "aren't we over signed".

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
From the ESPN article on the Top 10 questions of the NCaa settlement.

What's happening with walk-ons and scholarships?​

In the interest of removing as many universal caps on compensation as possible, the NCAA and conferences also agreed to get rid of the current rules that limit the number of scholarships allowed for each team. To keep the richest teams from stockpiling players, the NCAA will instead make rules that limit roster size.
The settlement terms include specific roster limits for 45 different sports. Football teams will be limited to 105 players on a roster. Men's and women's basketball teams can have 15 players each.
Current NCAA rules limit football teams to 120 players during the season, and only 85 of them can receive a scholarship. In the future, all 105 players on the team would be able to receive a scholarship. While schools aren't required to give all of the players a scholarship, many coaches raised concerns this summer that the new rules would eliminate walk-ons. Each school will get to decide how many of its players it puts on scholarship.

Reactions: pboiler18
From the ESPN article on the Top 10 questions of the NCaa settlement.

What's happening with walk-ons and scholarships?​

In the interest of removing as many universal caps on compensation as possible, the NCAA and conferences also agreed to get rid of the current rules that limit the number of scholarships allowed for each team. To keep the richest teams from stockpiling players, the NCAA will instead make rules that limit roster size.
The settlement terms include specific roster limits for 45 different sports. Football teams will be limited to 105 players on a roster. Men's and women's basketball teams can have 15 players each.
Current NCAA rules limit football teams to 120 players during the season, and only 85 of them can receive a scholarship. In the future, all 105 players on the team would be able to receive a scholarship. While schools aren't required to give all of the players a scholarship, many coaches raised concerns this summer that the new rules would eliminate walk-ons. Each school will get to decide how many of its players it puts on scholarship.
So football rosters will be reduced from 120 to 105 and basketball will go to 15? Under normal circumstances we would have 13 scholarship players and 5-6 walk-ons. This makes it difficult for teams with injuries and redshirts. Right now we have 5 walk-ons and non are seniors so will 3 be removed from the roster next year? To be honest we shouldn’t need more than 15, but this is a meaningful impact.

Reactions: Schnelk
I believe the roster limit affects game preparation and practices and the use of red shirts more so so than other things. Walk ons allow more bodies for those aspects. Just my take

So football rosters will be reduced from 120 to 105 and basketball will go to 15? Under normal circumstances we would have 13 scholarship players and 5-6 walk-ons. This makes it difficult for teams with injuries and redshirts. Right now we have 5 walk-ons and non are seniors so will 3 be removed from the roster next year? To be honest we shouldn’t need more than 15, but this is a meaningful impact.
I bet the cut to 15 (and 105) will be phased in. Like the minimum wage hike. You shouldn't have to kick a kid to the curb.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
They can solve the walk on problem by making it an active roster thing.
So let's say someone is redshirting or injured and out the rest of the season.
Make them part of an inactive roster and allow a walkon to slide in from an inactive roster (you can practice but you can't play).

They can solve the walk on problem by making it an active roster thing.
So let's say someone is redshirting or injured and out the rest of the season.
Make them part of an inactive roster and allow a walkon to slide in from an inactive roster (you can practice but you can't play).
Seems logical but the whole point of this is to avoid lawsuits and what you suggest is even easier to manipulate than what they are going out of. I don’t see any way that can work. Maybe for an injury I can see where they remove someone from the roster but cannot go back.

Seems logical but the whole point of this is to avoid lawsuits and what you suggest is even easier to manipulate than what they are going out of. I don’t see any way that can work. Maybe for an injury I can see where they remove someone from the roster but cannot go back.
I mean it's not that easy to manipulate.
You can only give scholarships to someone on the roster. You can only replace someone on the active roster with someone from the inactive roster and you can limit that in several ways to make it so that it's difficult to simply repeatedly interchange players.

I think ultimately what is going to happen regardless is school's will still have walk ons, they just won't be on the active roster. PWOs will be told a roster spot will open next year and you have a chance to fight for it via practice.

There's nothing to say you can't practice with the team without being on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT