ADVERTISEMENT

Terrence Shannon Not Guilty

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Our persecuted Illini brother deserves this new heading -- after a unanimous jury in less than 90 minutes -- as many on this board wanted him crucified, including one particular self-righteous ass who even now still can’t admit being DEAD WRONG.

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY … learn it, know it, live it.

Our persecuted Illini brother deserves this new heading -- after a unanimous jury in less than 90 minutes -- as many on this board wanted him crucified, including one particular self-righteous ass who even now still can’t admit being DEAD WRONG.

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY … learn it, know it, live it.
Almost no one wanted him "crucified." Most thought he was innocent, some didn't. I only ever said that prosecutors usually don't take weak cases to trial but I certainly didn't predict any outcome or profess knowledge that he was guilty or innocent. An acquittal is just that, insufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. If the jury didn't find that, then an acquittal is the correct result because that's the process we've (correctly in my opinion) chosen. Doesn't necessarily mean she lied or he didn't do it. All it means is the government wasn't able to convince this jury beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just like a conviction wouldn't have meant he absolutely did it. I'm pretty sure I can think of a very recent case the vast majority of posters on this board think the jury got wrong.

So many people on this board are so obsessed with whether someone was right or wrong about something. As if talking on a sports message board is anything more than a distraction from daily life.

The judge admonished the prosecution for bringing the case to trial. The DNA on the woman’s privates was not his. All the players with him said it didn’t happen including several Kansas players. Shannon met the woman for the first time in court. The most damning thing against her was that evidence showed she was picking out players to get money from them. See below

Her friend did the dollar signs, but if she was after money, a civil trial has a much lower standard of proof and she's more likely to get money of some sort from a settlement.

Trying to get a conviction beyond reasonable doubt is a lot harder and more convoluted path to getting money.

Her friend did the dollar signs, but if she was after money, a civil trial has a much lower standard of proof and she's more likely to get money of some sort from a settlement.

Trying to get a conviction beyond reasonable doubt is a lot harder and more convoluted path to getting money.
I wondered about this. A guilty verdict would have made a civil case a lock. But he won't have NBA $$ if he's in prison.

Once she pressed charges, it was out of her hands. If she stepped in and told the prosecutor that she no longer wanted to press charges, his attorney would have a field day with that information in civil court.

I wondered about this. A guilty verdict would have made a civil case a lock. But he won't have NBA $$ if he's in prison.

Once she pressed charges, it was out of her hands. If she stepped in and told the prosecutor that she no longer wanted to press charges, his attorney would have a field day with that information in civil court.
If you want money, you don't go criminal route. Because you don't get money. Yes, he's in jail which means no money. So a criminal conviction does her no good. It actively harms her chances of getting any money.

It only makes sense if the accused already has a lot of money. So, if she wanted money, the path to that would have been to wait three years, then claim it happened. OR secure a civil suit now for future earnings.

The prosecutor would have or at least should have told her how hard this was going to be, that conviction wasn't assured, and that she'd have to be repeatedly questioned in public and by the world in a higher profile case like this.

If she stepped in and said I'm out then in all likelihood the case is done. Particularly if she's the only witness. I can think of one time we went forward with a case where a wife backed out of a spousal abuse trial and that was only because we had a detailed 911 call from her. And we still lost because juries want to hear from the accuser in person.

If she was trying to get money, this was literally the worst way of going about it.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
The judge admonished the prosecution for bringing the case to trial. The DNA on the woman’s privates was not his. All the players with him said it didn’t happen including several Kansas players. Shannon met the woman for the first time in court. The most damning thing against her was that evidence showed she was picking out players to get money from them. See below

Can he counter sue for legal fees?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Can he counter sue for legal fees?
I mean I'm not a civil litigator so I don't know the inns and outs of Illinois civil tort law.

But I'm going to guess no, probably not.

Now, if prosecutors decide she perjured herself and charge and convict her on it then maybe?

I've charged perjury exactly one time but that time it was absolutely clear, in court, not simply a jury didn't believe an alleged victim which happens fairly often enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT