ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Curry and Keion Brooks Jr!

Correct. I sat with Painter at 3 New Castle games this year. He is really good friends with former NC coach Steve Bennett (gives Gillis private workouts). He was asked by a relative of the Center Grove head coach (Zach Hahn - Former NC player) how he felt about his chances with TJD. He said TJD is all but signed with IU. The same person then asked about Brooks. Painter said "To be honest, I think we are a long shot there as well. That's the reason I'm sitting here watching Gillis."

If Painter said that, that was a very stupid thing to say. That essentially sounds like "the only reason this kid is getting a look is because we can't get this other kid."

Every quote I have seen about Gillis says he wants to feel like a top priority. Butler has done that with him. If Purdue takes the settling approach, they have zero shot at Gillis. I can't believe that Painter would say that. It's possible that he inferred it, but if he outright said it, that was very stupid.

Some things are implied. Coaches go after players all the time when they find out they are out with top targets. It is the nature of the game. But you don't tell a coach or anybody tied to the team, "the only reason I am here is because so and so moved on".

Yeesh, talk about a necro-rez.

But this bodes a question, has anyone heard form 4sure? Really seems like I haven't seen him on here in quite a long time and I hope he is okay.
Word on the street is he's doing really well. He seemed to have gotten himself banned after having a disagreement with a mod about whether a controlled substance should be legalized. But he's still with you in spirit, BBG. :D

Reactions: BBG
If Painter said that, that was a very stupid thing to say. That essentially sounds like "the only reason this kid is getting a look is because we can't get this other kid."

Every quote I have seen about Gillis says he wants to feel like a top priority. Butler has done that with him. If Purdue takes the settling approach, they have zero shot at Gillis. I can't believe that Painter would say that. It's possible that he inferred it, but if he outright said it, that was very stupid.

Some things are implied. Coaches go after players all the time when they find out they are out with top targets. It is the nature of the game. But you don't tell a coach or anybody tied to the team, "the only reason I am here is because so and so moved on".
Lol maybe I shouldn't have told you? He told that to two of his very good friends. Turns out Painter doesn't care what we think when it comes to him running his program. Also, Gillis is almost a lock at this point. He will commit by next season.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Lol maybe I shouldn't have told you? He told that to two of his very good friends. Turns out Painter doesn't care what we think when it comes to him running his program. Also, Gillis is almost a lock at this point. He will commit by next season.
Lock as in 90% ?

Word on the street is he's doing really well. He seemed to have gotten himself banned after having a disagreement with a mod about whether a controlled substance should be legalized. But he's still with you in spirit, BBG. :D
Thanks for the update! Without knowing the context of the disagreement, at face value it would be a tad concerning if he was banned for that. Especially considering that some remain on here and post far..........far worse things IMO.

I may just have to start a movement (no not THAT kind) to free him! FREE PURDUE4SURE!

:D

I thought he liked Butler?
He does. At this point I don't see them swaying him. Purdue has a clear lead, and I don't think the Butler pitch will change enough to make a difference. They are putting on the full court press though. Laval Jordan loooooves him.

He does. At this point I don't see them swaying him. Purdue has a clear lead, and I don't think the Butler pitch will change enough to make a difference. They are putting on the full court press though. Laval Jordan loooooves him.
So based on your knowledge - does he commit by end of the summer or does he let it drag out?

I realize with him being sidelined right now he probably isn’t getting those other offers he had hoped for.

Is KBjr going to La Lu?
Does that help or hurt us?
Not quite a done deal to LaLu, but 95% done. There have been talks about him joining TJD at Center Grove as well, but I would call it a long shot at best.

Tbh, it doesn't really help or hurt us either way, because we are not really in the running for him anymore.

Tbh, it doesn't really help or hurt us either way, because we are not really in the running for him anymore.
Got that feeling as well - also wondering if there were going to be some issues regarding grades/academics of him getting into Purdue. I have read a big reason to go to LaLu was to bolster his academics.

Got that feeling as well - also wondering if there were going to be some issues regarding grades/academics of him getting into Purdue. I have read a big reason to go to LaLu was to bolster his academics.
That could definitely be a contributing factor. I have heard that the coach Fort Wayne North just hired is a major A-Hole, and Brooks' time there ended with that hire.

That could definitely be a contributing factor. I have heard that the coach Fort Wayne North just hired is a major A-Hole, and Brooks' time there ended with that hire.
I don't think Andrews is an a-hole at all.

Good coach.

Good coach.
I was actually hanging out with some of the players on his national championship Saint Francis team this weekend (one of my friends played on the Men's team at the same time). We started talking about how he was now the coach at Fort Wayne North, and they didn't have very good things to say about him at all. Basically their point was that you don't get forced to resign a year after winning a national championship for no reason.

Regardless, the Andrews hiring was the last straw for the Books family.

I was actually hanging out with some of the players on his national championship Saint Francis team this weekend (one of my friends played on the Men's team at the same time). We started talking about how he was now the coach at Fort Wayne North, and they didn't have very good things to say about him at all. Basically their point was that you don't get forced to resign a year after winning a national championship for no reason.

Regardless, the Andrews hiring was the last straw for the Books family.

Thanks for the information BoilerIron...but you're an IU troll so no one should listen to you /s

Reactions: BoilerIron
Didn't BoilerIron make up some story about how he was in the same room as Mason Gillis when he committed to Purdue? Not the most credible guy here, so all these stories, especially the Painter one, believe them all you want. I sure as hell won't.

Reactions: BBG
Didn't BoilerIron make up some story about how he was in the same room as Mason Gillis when he committed to Purdue? Not the most credible guy here, so all these stories, especially the Painter one, believe them all you want. I sure as hell won't.
I admitted already to exaggerating being in the room with him. Believe me or don't, it really makes no difference to me. Personally I wouldn't take anything anyone says on any of these sites as 100% fact.

Good coach.
Andrews isn't an A-hole at all. Once again, I said this would probably happen and I said Baz would probably be gone before it happen. This has little to do with an A-hole new coach but more about who didn't become the new coach. Someone applied for the position but needed teaching experience and doesn't. This is just another business move for Jr. to move towards the final goal. The NBA!

I admitted already to exaggerating being in the room with him. Believe me or don't, it really makes no difference to me. Personally I wouldn't take anything anyone says on any of these sites as 100% fact.
Of course it makes no difference to you. But if you're on a Purdue message board talking about situations that never happened or lying about what Painter said or other things, then I'd imagine you could be banned. You can't just make that stuff up.

If I went to Indiana's board and made up some stories about Archie Miller or his team's recruits that painted the program in a negative light, and it turned out that those stories were made up and I was lying, I'd be banned.

No you didn't "exaggerate", you got caught in a straight up lie....big difference. But you're right no one should take anything posted on here as fact, especially coming from you.

Anyway thankfully I am going to follow my own advice and put you on ignore. I truly wish you well and hope one day things turn around for you on here.

Of course it makes no difference to you. But if you're on a Purdue message board talking about situations that never happened or lying about what Painter said or other things, then I'd imagine you could be banned. You can't just make that stuff up.

If I went to Indiana's board and made up some stories about Archie Miller or his team's recruits that painted the program in a negative light, and it turned out that those stories were made up and I was lying, I'd be banned.
I didn't make up what Painter said. My comments did not paint our program in a negative light.

No you didn't "exaggerate", you got caught in a straight up lie....big difference. But you're right no one should take anything posted on here as fact, especially coming from you.

Anyway thankfully I am going to follow my own advice and put you on ignore. I truly wish you well and hope one day things turn around for you on here.
It's about time.

There is an enormous difference in what RJ did, and what a good point guard should do. I don't want to keep beating on this same ex-player, so let's let RJ pass quietly from the program. Instead, let's talk, in general, about a point guard using good judgement to recognize (or better yet, create) a good shot opportunities.

When you have dominant post players, the key is to get the ball to them when they are in the right position. Other teams know that too and work very hard to prevent it. The PG must force the defense to play those dominant posts with some honesty. That means feeding the posts the ball as much as possible. Once that happens, good shots will open up for the PG. A good PG will work to put the very best coordinated effort toward using the teams strengths, and disguessing the team's weaknesses. SImply attempting to drive and score every play is not the hallmark of a good PG, and is a sign of an inflexible and selfish approach to the game.

Painter wants the PG to actually run the team, not a dude that will drive and try to score, regardless of the quality of the shot, or the position of the defense. The opportunity here is huge for a PG, considering all the weapons he can utilize. A PG that makes this team boil will get plenty of great publicity for his work, regardless of his scoring average.

:cool:
More Carsen Edwards...less Trey Young

Reactions: mathboy

This is OT but where did FW North Side's ex-HC (Shabazz Khaliq or some name like that) go?

I didn't make up what Painter said. My comments did not paint our program in a negative light.
Again, that's for people on this board to decide. We get it, you don't care what we think about you, but when you are telling firsthand stories about the program, and in at least one instance they are proven to be completely made up, that's a problem IMO.

It's obvious TJD and Brooks are going elsewhere, but if you are going to lie about being with Mason Gillis when he committed, there's no telling what other stuff you've lied about. I don't believe Painter would say what you claim he said, even if he believed it, and certainly not in a public setting like a basketball game.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Again, that's for people on this board to decide. We get it, you don't care what we think about you, but when you are telling firsthand stories about the program, and in at least one instance they are proven to be completely made up, that's a problem IMO.

It's obvious TJD and Brooks are going elsewhere, but if you are going to lie about being with Mason Gillis when he committed, there's no telling what other stuff you've lied about. I don't believe Painter would say what you claim he said, even if he believed it, and certainly not in a public setting like a basketball game.
Fair enough.

Haha - That was classic. Gillis’s mom came on here and nailed BoilerIron for the phony that he is.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Haha - That was classic. Gillis’s mom came on here and nailed BoilerIron for the phony that he is.
That guy has some issues. I purposely will sh!tpost on here sometimes when I know I can push someone's buttons, but that guy lies about things he says he knows all the time and is frequently called out on it.

The whole Gillis incident was just priceless though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT