ADVERTISEMENT

Study: black and Hispanic citizens are more likely than whites to face barriers at the polls

ComradeRedBoilermaker

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2016
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/565355/

“These results add credence to what many critics of restrictive voting laws have long suspected. First, voter-ID laws and other, similar statutes aren’t passed in a vacuum, but rather in a country where people of color are significantly less likely to be able to meet the new requirements. Whether intended to discriminate or not, these laws discriminate in effect, and while there is no evidence that they’ve averted any kind of fraud, there is plenty of data detailing just how they’ve created Republican advantages. In that way, Trump’s chances in 2016 may have turned not only on the approval or disapproval of white voters, but also on how effectively state laws, access issues, and social penalties conspired to keep black and Hispanic voters away from polling places.”

The study concludes that race base voter discrimination and suppression won Donald trump the 2016 election.

The courts are currently being stacked with “states rights” crypto confederates, so a remedy in the court system seems unlikely in the near term.

Really not sure how to overcome this blantantly racist voter discrimination besides waiting for boomers to start dying of old age.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/565355/

“These results add credence to what many critics of restrictive voting laws have long suspected. First, voter-ID laws and other, similar statutes aren’t passed in a vacuum, but rather in a country where people of color are significantly less likely to be able to meet the new requirements. Whether intended to discriminate or not, these laws discriminate in effect, and while there is no evidence that they’ve averted any kind of fraud, there is plenty of data detailing just how they’ve created Republican advantages. In that way, Trump’s chances in 2016 may have turned not only on the approval or disapproval of white voters, but also on how effectively state laws, access issues, and social penalties conspired to keep black and Hispanic voters away from polling places.”

The study concludes that race base voter discrimination and suppression won Donald trump the 2016 election.

The courts are currently being stacked with “states rights” crypto confederates, so a remedy in the court system seems unlikely in the near term.

Really not sure how to overcome this blantantly racist voter discrimination besides waiting for boomers to start dying of old age.

Unfortunately there are some younger racists willing to step in, such as the Charlie Kirks, Ben Shapiro’s and Stephen Millers of the world (although part of me thinks once Steve Bannons liver gives out, these trolls may go with him as their leader will be gone)

Unfortunately there are some younger racists willing to step in, such as the Charlie Kirks, Ben Shapiro’s and Stephen Millers of the world (although part of me thinks once Steve Bannons liver gives out, these trolls may go with him as their leader will be gone)
Absolutely true, but there are less of them.

So now non-left wing Jews are racists? You lefties and your eff’d up identity politics....

So now non-left wing Jews are racists? You lefties and your eff’d up identity politics....
There is a very easy solution to this problem.
Get a proper ID.
Maybe the question should be why do more white's have the proper ID's required in these states.
Maybe they drive legally with licenses. Maybe they have SSN's not green cards.
This is not a racist issue, this a matter of being responsible.

There is a very easy solution to this problem.
Get a proper ID.
Maybe the question should be why do more white's have the proper ID's required in these states.
Maybe they drive legally with licenses. Maybe they have SSN's not green cards.
This is not a racist issue, this a matter of being responsible.
Did you read the article posted? The problem extends far beyond proper identification. Additionally, these laws are designed with the specific goal in mind of prevenging a portion of the black and Hispanic population from obtaining proper identification.

They don’t need to stop every black and Hispanic person from voting. They just need to stop enough that they can win on razor thin margins. Wisconsin is the clearest cut example of this. The number of republican voters in Wisconsin was exactly the same in 2016 as it was in 2012. But the number of democratic voters decreased by 200,000. Trump won the state by 30,000 votes. What changed during that period was he passage of these racist voter supression laws.

Also something you didn’t touch on from the article: fully 1 in 10 Hispanic voters report being harassed at polling stations on account of their race. That is a staggering statistic

Did you read the article posted? The problem extends far beyond proper identification. Additionally, these laws are designed with the specific goal in mind of prevenging a portion of the black and Hispanic population from obtaining proper identification.

They don’t need to stop every black and Hispanic person from voting. They just need to stop enough that they can win on razor thin margins. Wisconsin is the clearest cut example of this. The number of republican voters in Wisconsin was exactly the same in 2016 as it was in 2012. But the number of democratic voters decreased by 200,000. Trump won the state by 30,000 votes. What changed during that period was he passage of these racist voter supression laws.

Also something you didn’t touch on from the article: fully 1 in 10 Hispanic voters report being harassed at polling stations on account of their race. That is a staggering statistic
Being harassed is having to show an ID to prove who you are? That’s considered racist these days? In every state I’ve ever lived in you had to show an ID to get a ballot and vote.

Being harassed is having to show an ID to prove who you are? That’s considered racist these days? In every state I’ve ever lived in you had to show an ID to get a ballot and vote.
No, you misunderstand what I am saying. Racist bystanders at polling stations are harassing Latino looking people because they assume by virtue of them being Latino they are not American and are voting illegally.

Remember that racist panic a few years back about how the new black panther party was allegedly harassing white people at the polls? It’s like that, only instead of being a lie it’s actuslly happening

Additionally, more than one in 10 blacks and Hispanics missed the registration deadline to vote in 2016, as opposed to just 3 percent of whites.

9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote.

that is a flat out lie and misrepresentation of the report.
“Roughly one in 10 Hispanics said that the last time they or someone in their household tried to vote, they were bothered at the polls”

That is still millions of people in an election that was decided by tens of thousands in 3 states

Additionally, more than one in 10 blacks and Hispanics missed the registration deadline to vote in 2016, as opposed to just 3 percent of whites.

9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote.
The constant changing of deadlines is designed to target people that work for a living. The people that don’t have to worry about that? Retirees, who are disproportionately white and vote republican

“Roughly one in 10 Hispanics said that the last time they or someone in their household tried to vote, they were bothered at the polls”

That is still millions of people in an election that was decided by tens of thousands in 3 states
turnout was 58% kiddo...of registered voters. but ya it was all the machinations of the racist white man...honestly stfu.

I’ve never understood why you don’t have to present ID to vote. Seems insane to me. I understand the discriminatory arguments, but with something as important as a fundamental American right like voting, you get it right and show ID. Period. Create programs and outreach to get citizens IDed if you have to. Not sure why this is so hard all the time.

I have to prove I’m a city resident to check out books from the library and swim in the community pool at a reduced rate. I have to show ID to go to the Y. But I can vote just by claiming to be someone. Makes no sense.

I’ve never understood why you don’t have to present ID to vote. Seems insane to me. I understand the discriminatory arguments, but with something as important as a fundamental American right like voting, you get it right and show ID. Period. Create programs and outreach to get citizens IDed if you have to. Not sure why this is so hard all the time.

I have to prove I’m a city resident to check out books from the library and swim in the community pool at a reduced rate. I have to show ID to go to the Y. But I can vote just by claiming to be someone. Makes no sense.
I agree, it’s insane. How do you really know who someone is without a government-issued ID. In MD, they talking about getting giving non-citizens IDs and allowing them to vote. I don’t know how this could possibly be Constitutional.

It’s also insane that in some areas “community activists” come into neighborhoods and literally take people to polling stations. These are not just elderly widows without cars. These people can’t even figure out how to get to a polling station on their own? What next? Fill in ballots for people too?

Reactions: SKYDOG

The push back from Democrats is exactly what I bolded in your response. Their argument that I've seen is that these requirements will go into place, but then the legislature will turn around shortly after and put up barriers to get the necessary identification. After putting voter ID into law, states have closed license branches in minority areas, they've cut back hours on branches in minority areas while expanding hours in rural areas with more Republican voters. I don't think any kind of majority of Democrats want there just to be a free for all with anyone being able to claim who they are. The argument is you can't require ID while simultaneously throwing up barriers for some people to get the ID you just required them to get. Republicans have shown time and time again they use voter ID laws to target minority populations for voter suppression.

Voter fraud was virtually non existent in the United States before these laws were passed. And you have always had to present identification of some kind to register to vote and vote.

These laws restrict (sometimes greatly) what types of identifications are considered “valid”. In the case of Wisconsin and Indiana, they must be photographic and issued by the state or federal government. Your government issued social security card is invalid identification in Wisconsin and Indiana. That’s insanity.

Before 2006, not one of the 50 US states required a photographic form of identification.

The push back from Democrats is exactly what I bolded in your response. Their argument that I've seen is that these requirements will go into place, but then the legislature will turn around shortly after and put up barriers to get the necessary identification. After putting voter ID into law, states have closed license branches in minority areas, they've cut back hours on branches in minority areas while expanding hours in rural areas with more Republican voters. I don't think any kind of majority of Democrats want there just to be a free for all with anyone being able to claim who they are. The argument is you can't require ID while simultaneously throwing up barriers for some people to get the ID you just required them to get. Republicans have shown time and time again they use voter ID laws to target minority populations for voter suppression.
This is exactly what has been happening. License branches are being closed in black and Hispanic majority areas where these laws are being passed

I agree, it’s insane. How do you really know who someone is without a government-issued ID. In MD, they talking about getting giving non-citizens IDs and allowing them to vote. I don’t know how this could possibly be Constitutional.

It’s also insane that in some areas “community activists” come into neighborhoods and literally take people to polling stations. These are not just elderly widows without cars. These people can’t even figure out how to get to a polling station on their own? What next? Fill in ballots for people too?
People that wish to vote that have poor access to transportation should absolutely be helped to reach polling stations. What in earth is wrong with that?

Reactions: miksta
I think license branches being closed in certain neighborhoods is quite a wonderful distraction from the issue. Here, I didn't once have to present an identification to register nor to vote. I told them my name and address, which literally anyone with a phone book could have. They checked the voter role, and the name and address matched, they checked me off.

I just went into San Ysidro last week and was one of about 5% of white people waiting in line at the DMV.

Anecdotes are great and all, but not requiring people to show who they are before they vote is ridiculous, whether voter fraud was a proven issue or not. That it hasn't been required before doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. I give you the second amendment argument to chew on in that regard.

Our identities are becoming our most valued possessions. How can we exercise the most fundamental American right without having to prove it?

Really? An ID needed to fly, enter most courthouses, drive, buy booze? IF I were a minority I would be PISSED at that study. It assumes one is too stupid or lazy to get an ID or the equivalent needed such as a utility bill.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I think license branches being closed in certain neighborhoods is quite a wonderful distraction from the issue. Here, I didn't once have to present an identification to register nor to vote. I told them my name and address, which literally anyone with a phone book could have. They checked the voter role, and the name and address matched, they checked me off.

I just went into San Ysidro last week and was one of about 5% of white people waiting in line at the DMV.

Anecdotes are great and all, but not requiring people to show who they are before they vote is ridiculous, whether voter fraud was a proven issue or not. That it hasn't been required before doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. I give you the second amendment argument to chew on in that regard.

Our identities are becoming our most valued possessions. How can we exercise the most fundamental American right without having to prove it?
Because identity theft based voter fraud is almost impossible to actually pull off? If I went in under your name and voted, and then you tried to vote, there are endless ways to have my illegal ballot invalidated and have your vote reinstated.

The mechanisms are so effective that people don’t even try to commit that kind of voter fraud. That’s why we point out that there was no evidence for voter fraud.

There was never any danger of it happening on a mass scale.

So you see no problem at all with the state requiring an ID to vote, and simultaneously closing branches and cutting hours for citizens trying to get that ID? Just because you don't have trouble getting an ID doesn't mean that no one has trouble getting an ID, or if they can't waltz on down to the branch it means they're lazy. Honestly read this article. Make it so people can easily get an ID and then absolutely require an ID to vote. Don't do it now while allowing one party to use it as a weapon against those that most likely won't vote for them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...14ca9de2972_story.html?utm_term=.f6260081b23c

Really? An ID needed to fly, enter most courthouses, drive, buy booze? IF I were a minority I would be PISSED at that study. It assumes one is too stupid or lazy to get an ID or the equivalent needed such as a utility bill.
Honestly read this article and tell me that getting an ID is just as easy as bringing in a utility bill. Not everyone has your same experience, just because you have no trouble getting an ID doesn't mean everyone can get one just as easily. And if they can't get it easily it doesn't' mean they're a lazy drain on society.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...14ca9de2972_story.html?utm_term=.f6260081b23c

Honestly read this article and tell me that getting an ID is just as easy as bringing in a utility bill. Not everyone has your same experience, just because you have no trouble getting an ID doesn't mean everyone can get one just as easily. And if they can't get it easily it doesn't' mean they're a lazy drain on society.
Most people have a rent address,,,utility bill. Most can afford a bus or friends trip to stand in line. I waited almost 1.5 hours one time to renew a license. Is it always convenient? No. Are there some forms of discrimination? Yes. But, to use this voter ID arguement is laughable. As said, if I were a minority or poor I'd be INSULTED. That is what it implies, lazy or not very bright.

Most people have a rent address,,,utility bill. Most can afford a bus or friends trip to stand in line. I waited almost 1.5 hours one time to renew a license. Is it always convenient? No. Are there some forms of discrimination? Yes. But, to use this voter ID arguement is laughable. As said, if I were a minority or poor I'd be INSULTED. That is what it implies, lazy or not very bright.

Well, perhaps you should consider not projecting your own experiences onto theirs, then. Never understood why it was so hard for some people to just listen to what POC have to say without immediately questioning them or talking down to them.

Reactions: MANelson85
Again, read the article and realize it's not as easy as providing a utility bill and just walking into a branch. Just because you have no trouble doesn't mean that's the case across the country.

Because identity theft based voter fraud is almost impossible to actually pull off? If I went in under your name and voted, and then you tried to vote, there are endless ways to have my illegal ballot invalidated and have your vote reinstated.

The mechanisms are so effective that people don’t even try to commit that kind of voter fraud. That’s why we point out that there was no evidence for voter fraud.

There was never any danger of it happening on a mass scale.
I don't know of mass scale, but it happened to a friend of mine in Illinois during the last election. He didn't pursue it as he was in a hurry to go to work.

Again, read the article and realize it's not as easy as providing a utility bill and just walking into a branch. Just because you have no trouble doesn't mean that's the case across the country.
Most issues are not black and white. I am sure you believe every slant the Atlantic, ABC, FOX and CNN reports also? I have lived in many states (not Wisconsin) and the process in most I have lived in have been straight forward for a license. As said, sometimes a process takes a little time or an inconvenience. So what? I guess we can use the lazy or dumb excuse for something so straightforward. You are certainly entitled to your view as me, mine. Change the laws is the answer, good or bad, last time I saw we are still a republic.

Most issues are not black and white. I am sure you believe every slant the Atlantic, ABC, FOX and CNN reports also? I have lived in many states (not Wisconsin) and the process in most I have lived in have been straight forward for a license. As said, sometimes a process takes a little time or an inconvenience. So what? I guess we can use the lazy or dumb excuse for something so straightforward. You are certainly entitled to your view as me, mine. Change the laws is the answer, good or bad, last time I saw we are still a republic.

Did I say things were black and white? I'm pretty sure I'm the one stating there are all kinds of circumstances that keep willing people from being able to obtain an ID, and unless i'm misunderstanding your argument you're arguing that people that can't get an ID are just lazy or stupid. Unless we take down those barriers to get an ID, one party shouldn't' be able to use the issue as a weapon against those likely to vote against them. Change the laws to make it easier to get an ID, then require an ID to vote. Problem solved. The current issue is that the right doesn't want those people to vote so they will never put policies in place to solve the issue, they want to be able to use it as a voter suppression tactic.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
Did I say things were black and white? I'm pretty sure I'm the one stating there are all kinds of circumstances that keep willing people from being able to obtain an ID, and unless i'm misunderstanding your argument you're arguing that people that can't get an ID are just lazy or stupid. Unless we take down those barriers to get an ID, one party shouldn't' be able to use the issue as a weapon against those likely to vote against them. Change the laws to make it easier to get an ID, then require an ID to vote. Problem solved. The current issue is that the right doesn't want those people to vote so they will never put policies in place to solve the issue, they want to be able to use it as a voter suppression tactic.
No, I simply don't buy that it is THAT difficult if one wants an ID or license. If i were a minority or poor I would be insulted because of the inference I don't know how to get one or it is too hard. THAT came straight forward out of a minority friend of mine mouth years ago. So, I said you know, I agree with you.

Add this too the debate. Many say there is simply too much fraud, which may be true or may not. Are there REALLY that many that can't get an ID, OR couldn't vote? BOTH sides will spout off now. LOL

No, I simply don't buy that it is THAT difficult if one wants an ID or license. If i were a minority or poor I would be insulted because of the inference I don't know how to get one or it is too hard. THAT came straight forward out of a minority friend of mine years ago. So, I said you know, I agree with you.
Hargie Randall, 72, was born in his family’s home in Huntsville, Tex., and has lived in the state his entire life. Randall, now living in Houston’s low-income Fifth Ward neighborhood, has several health problems and such poor eyesight that he is legally blind. He can’t drive and has to ask others for rides.

After Texas implemented its new law, Randall went to the Department of Public Safety (the Texas agency that handles driver’s licenses and identification cards) three times to try to get a photo ID to vote. Each time Randall was told he needed different items. First, he was told he needed three forms of identification. He came back and brought his Medicaid card, bills and a current voter registration card from voting in past elections.

“I thought that because I was on record for voting, I could vote again,” Randall said.

But he was told he still needed more documentation, such as a certified copy of his birth certificate.

Records of births before 1950, such as Randall’s, are not on a central computer and are located only in the county clerk’s office where the person was born.

For Randall, that meant an hour-long drive to Huntsville, where his lawyers found a copy of his birth certificate.

But that wasn’t enough. With his birth certificate in hand, Randall went to the DPS office in Houston with all the necessary documents. But, DPS officials still would not issue him a photo ID because of a clerical mistake on his birth certificate. One letter was off in his last name — “Randell” instead of “Randall” — so his last name was spelled slightly different than on all his other documents.

Kamin, the lawyer, asked the DPS official if they could pull up Randall’s prior driver’s-license information, as he once had a state-issued ID. The official told her that the state doesn’t keep records of prior identification after five years, and there was nothing they could do to pull up that information.

Kamin was finally able to prove to a DPS supervisor that there was a clerical error and was able to verify Randall’s identity by showing other documents.

If only this guy had just walked into the license branch with a utility bill, right? This is just one example, a little bit of searching and you can find exactly how difficult some places can make it for their residents to get an ID. This issue hits white people as well as minorities, minorities are just more targeted because they're less likely to vote for the Republican politicians that create these issues.

This exact thing happens in NC where I live.

Hargie Randall, 72, was born in his family’s home in Huntsville, Tex., and has lived in the state his entire life. Randall, now living in Houston’s low-income Fifth Ward neighborhood, has several health problems and such poor eyesight that he is legally blind. He can’t drive and has to ask others for rides.

After Texas implemented its new law, Randall went to the Department of Public Safety (the Texas agency that handles driver’s licenses and identification cards) three times to try to get a photo ID to vote. Each time Randall was told he needed different items. First, he was told he needed three forms of identification. He came back and brought his Medicaid card, bills and a current voter registration card from voting in past elections.

“I thought that because I was on record for voting, I could vote again,” Randall said.

But he was told he still needed more documentation, such as a certified copy of his birth certificate.

Records of births before 1950, such as Randall’s, are not on a central computer and are located only in the county clerk’s office where the person was born.

For Randall, that meant an hour-long drive to Huntsville, where his lawyers found a copy of his birth certificate.

But that wasn’t enough. With his birth certificate in hand, Randall went to the DPS office in Houston with all the necessary documents. But, DPS officials still would not issue him a photo ID because of a clerical mistake on his birth certificate. One letter was off in his last name — “Randell” instead of “Randall” — so his last name was spelled slightly different than on all his other documents.

Kamin, the lawyer, asked the DPS official if they could pull up Randall’s prior driver’s-license information, as he once had a state-issued ID. The official told her that the state doesn’t keep records of prior identification after five years, and there was nothing they could do to pull up that information.

Kamin was finally able to prove to a DPS supervisor that there was a clerical error and was able to verify Randall’s identity by showing other documents.

If only this guy had just walked into the license branch with a utility bill, right? This is just one example, a little bit of searching and you can find exactly how difficult some places can make it for their residents to get an ID. This issue hits white people as well as minorities, minorities are just more targeted because they're less likely to vote for the Republican politicians that create these issues.
Ah the exception to the rule or vast number! Your example is as bad as saying the R people scream about too much fraud. BOTH of these issues are minor. Fraud and your example. Yes, the DPS or possibly one your voter registration people would have stepped in and helped. Possibly on a drive that BOTH parties do. Yes, one person excluded when trying is wrong. I am sure EVERY state has an example of BOTH sides of the issue. I want want my right to vote to be valid and protected. An ID does not bother and I'd hazard a guess 80% or more don't either. If you want you can tell me I am all wrong on that % but I doubt there is an actual non biased study of that. You make fun of my utility bill example. THAT is just one of many forms of accepted ID's in many states.

Last edited:
BTW, I enjoy reading about all side understanding very few opinions are ever changed on a political message board. Believe it or not I have changed my thinking on many issues over the years. Regards.

So you see no problem at all with the state requiring an ID to vote, and simultaneously closing branches and cutting hours for citizens trying to get that ID? Just because you don't have trouble getting an ID doesn't mean that no one has trouble getting an ID, or if they can't waltz on down to the branch it means they're lazy. Honestly read this article. Make it so people can easily get an ID and then absolutely require an ID to vote. Don't do it now while allowing one party to use it as a weapon against those that most likely won't vote for them.

Of course I see the problem with that, but to me, this is the liberal version of “you’d be punishing legal gun owners by restricting guns further.” It ignores common sense because of some distracting anecdotes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT