ADVERTISEMENT

Stephens situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Darlings were great. I bet they would get off on Shock Top Ale.
LMAO, I think you are correct!!! Mr. Darling would drink it out of that jug, and then use the jug later on as an instrument. That show still makes me laugh after all these years..........

No idea what is going on with Stephens; death of a friend or family can be tough. If reduction in minutes has anything to do with it I'm reminded of the triple A baseball player who was complaining he should be in the majors ... manager told him "get better".

From what I read, he's not even practicing with the team. So even if he did come back, he'd likely be riding the pine for a while. I think if he's not back with the team for Maryland, he won't be back this year. Just my hunch.

Reactions: big10best
is beginning to feel more like the Mevin Booker situation every day. I hope all is well with Kendall, but I have a feeling there is more to this story then we are hearing.
WHo cares? He can either get his hundreds of thousands of dollars, or he can give them up. Stop being a baby.

And I'm truly curious, what do you base that certainty on?

I agree with original poster. I base that view on stupidity by watching AJ lose his shoe in the Minnesota game. Stop, pick the shoe up and walk up the court carrying it.

If I remember right he never did much wherever he ended up, like South Florida or something. He was a chubby looking kid who Coach Keady would done wonders with in time. I always wished he would have stayed and grown.

I remember after Buckley left. He stated Keady wouldn't let him come down the court and just chuck up 3's.... That was why he was transferring out. Booker was a nice PF but he left for academic reasons.

Keady got the program in trouble by trying to recruit borderline students with athletic basketball skill. I think it was a last gasp grab at a trip to the Final 4.

I lost some respect for Keady when it was obvious he needed to retire. Then he tried to force the school's hand by refusing to go quietly unless he had a say in who they hired as coach plus an extra year which Matt used to recruit. Keady was a great coach at Purdue but NO he didn't build Purdue's program. The coach before left after a Final 4. I thought Keady was selfish at the end.

Not sure how much speculation is close to the facts. But, this is sure dragging out a lot longer than I thought it would. I get the feeling something much more is going on here. With that in mind, if he is still just struggling with a death...then I wish him well.

Does the fact that Kendall is retweeting things on his twitter page give the answer that he's no longer with the team since the team is on social media lockdown during the season?

I just wish him well and hope he gets thru this and gets back with his teammates for the fun ride this year and next.

Good kid, good family and Boilermaker forever!

Boiler Up!

Reactions: *4purdue*
Guys, c'mon, it's obvious that it's something more than a friend's death. I've seen a lot of college athletes over the years lose a PARENT, and they usually only miss a maximum of 1-2 games (sometimes, depending on the timing of the games, they miss none).

Reactions: big10best
Guys, c'mon, it's obvious that it's something more than a friend's death. I've seen a lot of college athletes over the years lose a PARENT, and they usually only miss a maximum of 1-2 games (sometimes, depending on the timing of the games, they miss none).

I had a Purdue friend who lost his best HS friend & was so affected he dropped out for the semester. These are young people who may not have ever lost anyone before, and it's hard to predict how a given person will deal with that. Let's give all this speculation a rest - until we hear more, it is pretty disrespectful and unkind to Stephens to question his loyalty to the team.

I had a Purdue friend who lost his best HS friend & was so affected he dropped out for the semester. These are young people who may not have ever lost anyone before, and it's hard to predict how a given person will deal with that. Let's give all this speculation a rest - until we hear more, it is pretty disrespectful and unkind to Stephens to question his loyalty to the team.
This. All the people basically telling Kendall how he is supposed to deal with this just amazes me.

Believe it or not, not everybody is the same. And there certainly could be more that we don't know about. To judge him without knowing the situation is pretty petty, in my opinion.

If you want to get into the speculation, his parents are very good parents who are involved in his basketball heavily (there was a story about his mom being at the gym late with him over summer I believe). His mom continues to post positive things about Purdue Basketball on her social media. I don't think there's any "ill will" towards Purdue involved.

Also, the other day Chris Forman (Purdue's sports info guy) tweeted this to his mom: "@stephens3x21 You too, Kay. Thinking of Kendall and you guys as well."

I don't think he'd be saying that if the death of his friend was not a significant factor.

This. All the people basically telling Kendall how he is supposed to deal with this just amazes me.

100% agree...and..I have to admit, this is pretty insensitive behavior. We all deal with loss in our own way. If he needs the rest of the year off, so be it, that's up to him and his grieving process. Death, for some, is a real struggle to handle. Think about it....whoever it is is gone forever. That's permanent. For some people that's a lot to accept. Let the kid deal with this in his own time.

100% agree...and..I have to admit, this is pretty insensitive behavior. We all deal with loss in our own way. If he needs the rest of the year off, so be it, that's up to him and his grieving process. Death, for some, is a real struggle to handle. Think about it....whoever it is is gone forever. That's permanent. For some people that's a lot to accept. Let the kid deal with this in his own time.
I had a steady girlfriend die in high school in an automobile accident. It took quite awhile to get over. I wondered if I could have changed the death if I would have been there at that moment. I was with some guy friends at the batting cage when it happened. Today I don't think about it everyday but I do a couple times a week. It still bothers me and it is 39 years later. I get teary eyed talking about it (including now). If this is a similar thing with our player then I can relate that it could take time. I respect that.

I had a steady girlfriend die in high school in an automobile accident. It took quite awhile to get over. I wondered if I could have changed the death if I would have been there at that moment. I was with some guy friends at the batting cage when it happened. Today I don't think about it everyday but I do a couple times a week. It still bothers me and it is 39 years later. I get teary eyed talking about it (including now). If this is a similar thing with our player then I can relate that it could take time. I respect that.

Damn. I'd be lying if I said I understand your grief. I'm truly sorry for your loss brother. I've had a pretty fortunate life that most of my loved ones passed after a very good and fulfilling life. I'm blessed. So sorry and wish I could say something....but...just sorry.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Damn. I'd be lying if I said I understand your grief. I'm truly sorry for your loss brother. I've had a pretty fortunate life that most of my loved ones passed after a very good and fulfilling life. I'm blessed. So sorry and wish I could say something....but...just sorry.
Thanks for the comments. I guess it was a weak, unguarded moment since I rarely talk about it even to my wife of 29 years. I came to grip on dealing with it years ago but it still pops up in emotions. That said, some people never get over some things. I remember people telling me to grow up and get over it but a part of me doesn't ever want to. Funny, strange, I can smell certain perfumes that women wear but one specific one reminds me of her instantly. Anyway on to other things now, like a good run in the tournament. Go Boilers!

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler-deuce
Thanks for the comments. I guess it was a weak, unguarded moment since I rarely talk about it even to my wife of 29 years. I came to gripe on dealing with it years ago but it still pops up in emotions. That said, some people never get over some things. I remember people telling me to grow up and get over it but a part of me doesn't ever want to. Funny, strange, I can smell certain perfumes that women wear but one specific one reminds me of her instantly. Anyway on to other things now, like a good run in the tournament. Go Boilers!
Remind ourselves, basketball, football, golf are all just GAMES.

Believe it or not, not everybody is the same. And there certainly could be more that we don't know about. To judge him without knowing the situation is pretty petty, in my opinion.

If you want to get into the speculation, his parents are very good parents who are involved in his basketball heavily (there was a story about his mom being at the gym late with him over summer I believe). His mom continues to post positive things about Purdue Basketball on her social media. I don't think there's any "ill will" towards Purdue involved.

Also, the other day Chris Forman (Purdue's sports info guy) tweeted this to his mom: "@stephens3x21 You too, Kay. Thinking of Kendall and you guys as well."

I don't think he'd be saying that if the death of his friend was not a significant factor.
Exactly where did I "judge" him? Wow, I hope you didn't get any splinters building that straw man.

100% agree...and..I have to admit, this is pretty insensitive behavior. We all deal with loss in our own way. If he needs the rest of the year off, so be it, that's up to him and his grieving process. Death, for some, is a real struggle to handle. Think about it....whoever it is is gone forever. That's permanent.

Death is permanent???? I don't think anyone understood that..........

I think we all understand the ramifications. Everyone dies and the only way to avoid losing loved ones is if you die before they do.
I'm on record saying that Kendall doesn't owe anyone an explanation if he doesn't want to play. That said, it is not how I would advise anyone to deal with it whether they play basketball or not. You live long enough and you will see many people you love go and many people who are taken before their time. If you shut down when that happens then their death is taking part of your life too. Sometimes it's something you really never quite get past. From my experience though the best way to go on is to keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. It's not at all disrespectful to do so. If that person was a friend then that's what they would want you to do. I've found that finding a way to change myself or doing something to honor that person is one of the best things I've done to deal with the passing of a loved one.

Thanks for the comments. I guess it was a weak, unguarded moment since I rarely talk about it even to my wife of 29 years. I came to gripe on dealing with it years ago but it still pops up in emotions. That said, some people never get over some things. I remember people telling me to grow up and get over it but a part of me doesn't ever want to. Funny, strange, I can smell certain perfumes that women wear but one specific one reminds me of her instantly. Anyway on to other things now, like a good run in the tournament. Go Boilers!

I hear you Gem. I lost someone very close to me, very close, on New Year's Eve. It's been a few years since, but I can tell you that that day will never be the same for me. To be honest, I will never get over it totally...........a piece of me died also. Life does move on, and you do what you can do.........but it hurts to the core. Go Boilers is right!

Thanks for the comments. I guess it was a weak, unguarded moment since I rarely talk about it even to my wife of 29 years. I came to grip on dealing with it years ago but it still pops up in emotions. That said, some people never get over some things. I remember people telling me to grow up and get over it but a part of me doesn't ever want to. Funny, strange, I can smell certain perfumes that women wear but one specific one reminds me of her instantly. Anyway on to other things now, like a good run in the tournament. Go Boilers!

Hey, I love a spirited debate with you all, but let's be honest...we're all boilers. And, if you're going to have a weak moment, it may as well be with family. I'm still going to fire off some funny barbs from time to time, but remember, I have no ill will for you. Peace be with you...and BOILER UP!!

Hey, I love a spirited debate with you all, but let's be honest...we're all boilers. And, if you're going to have a weak moment, it may as well be with family. I'm still going to fire off some funny barbs from time to time, but remember, I have no ill will for you. Peace be with you...and BOILER UP!!
buon%2Bdio.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT