ADVERTISEMENT

Stephens situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
is beginning to feel more like the Mevin Booker situation every day. I hope all is well with Kendall, but I have a feeling there is more to this story then we are hearing.

be careful, the "thought police" are lurking.
thought-police-2.jpg

I have no idea what's going on & hope Kendall gets back soon, I'm just saying, I think there is much more to this situation. It's not unlike Purdue to not share information. We never did hear why AJ was out 3 games.

There is always more to any story, though it may be as simple as Kendall being rocked to the core over the death of a peer at such a young age. Everyone reacts differently to such an event. I know of what I write.

I trust that Matt Painter is dealing with this situation in the correct manner -- solid communication with Kendall and Everette, sensitive to Kendall's grief, rallying the team around Kendall, and keeping everything in its proper perspective -- and that whatever the outcome it will be in the best interest of Kendall Stephens, individual.

AJ's suspension was definitely due to his stupidity. The program hides a lot of the issues that happen to come up.

I think we should accept the answer provided at this point: Kendall's grieving a friend who died, and that's it. Why do we need to look for more in a situation like this. I'd say leave it be.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
And I'm truly curious, what do you base that certainty on?
I'm close with some people near the program. Other athletes here as well. They all talk about it. Everyone knows that the players get protected pretty heavily if they mess up. They keep issues internal as much as they can. Unless stuff gets a hold of by the authorities, the general public isn't likely to hear about it.

Reactions: *4purdue*
We were told that AJ was not "suspended"
I know this was a pretty touchy subject at the beginning of the year - and probably still is - but AJ is the best player on the team, he was eligible academically, he wasn't injured, and he still wasn't playing per the coach's decision... for all intents and purposes Painter suspended him. Why so many people had such a come-apart moment when trying to accept that still confuses me. It doesn't mean AJ beat up a 4th grader, stole a girl's bicycle, started a cock-fighting club, or anything else that one would find deplorable... it just means coach suspended him for something he felt warranted such a punishment.

Wishing Stephens and family all the best, but I tend to agree with the OP that it just "feels" like there is a something a little more unusual about this based on all that we don't know. And what we don't know is perfectly fair; it's a personal situation and should be left private. But when situations arise for which the outcomes differ materially from people's own knowledge or experiences with similar personal situations, it's also perfectly normal for people to start wondering why that is.

Last edited:
I think the point is that us speculating on this board with no information is not terribly useful.
Speculation is what these boards are for. I think everyone here has kept it pretty classy. At this point I think it's a pretty valid opinion to wonder if he'll ever return to the team. Whatever choice he makes is fine by me, either way we're going to find oit eventually.

Reactions: IndyRider
But when situations arise for which the outcomes differ materially from people's own knowledge or experiences with similar personal situations, it's also perfectly normal for people to start wondering why that is.

Bingo.

Frankly, his personal reasons are none of our business whether you take this thing at face value or not. If he wants to quit the team for no reason whatsoever, that's his life and his business. He owes us nothing.

However, we are all fans and I don't think it's inappropriate or selfish of us to wonder when his status with the team might be resolved no matter what the reasons are. It's not like he tore his knee up and was given an 8 month rehab schedule.

Most of us have lost someone close to us and I think in most cases, it becomes evident that the world goes on. You have to go back to school/work/family well before you are done grieving because everything doesn't stop. Frankly, getting back to that which you are familiar is what has helped me get through times of grief and I've had many people tell me the same thing is true for them. If we're all assuming that the reason he's not with the team is this situation, the longer he is away from the team the less sense it will make to most of us who have dealt with similar situations and people will wonder about his status with the team because we are fans of that team.

Reactions: Statey
95% or more of what's on this board is not terribly useful.
You are being kind, 99.9% is closer.

It's a college basketball message board, how "useful" can any of it be? I hate it when people try to monitor or judge what others post. Give your opinion (or not) and then move on.

On this topic (KS) I really don't have a strong feeling. If he comes back fine, if he chooses not to for whatever reason that's his business and the program moves on.

is beginning to feel more like the Mevin Booker situation every day. I hope all is well with Kendall, but I have a feeling there is more to this story then we are hearing.
WTF is Melvin Booker. Are you talking about Chris Booker and the team that beat Duke in the Great Alaska Shootout and then came back, looked good winning some more games and then Booker became ineligible and disappeared from WL.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Not trying to be an ass but didn't Melvin Booker play for Missouri? He was a pretty good outside shooter. Couldn't have gone to Purdue:) Happy Friday

Will be interesting to see if he is sitting with the team at tomorrow's game.

Speculation is what these boards are for. I think everyone here has kept it pretty classy. At this point I think it's a pretty valid opinion to wonder if he'll ever return to the team. Whatever choice he makes is fine by me, either way we're going to find oit eventually.

Yes, I understand that. But diving into someone's personal life to speculate is totally different than speculating how a game against our next opponent will be.

Reactions: Inspector100
Thought he was at home.
Nope...has remained on campus...and the question posed as to whether he is at the game and with the team tomorrow is a very valid one.

Melvin Buckley (who transferred after a historic NCAA tournament game) + Chris Booker = Melvin Booker.

Reactions: Schnelk
Here is one fan who is really hoping to see Kendall at the game tomorrow and if playing even better! KS could be our secret weapon to going deep in the tournament. KS hit the most clutch 3, I have seen in years when he did his Reggie Miller impersonation and nailed the 3 to put the Penn State game into overtime last year! Let's not forget that turned our whole season around last year! If we didn't win that game, I don't think we would have even made the NCAA tournament!

Melvin Buckley scored 20 points against LSU in first round of Tourney as a freshman. Shot 42.6% from three to lead team. I remember really liking this kid, 6'7" and athletic..........oh well

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Melvin Buckley scored 20 points against LSU in first round of Tourney as a freshman. Shot 42.6% from three to lead team. I remember really liking this kid, 6'7" and athletic..........oh well
If I remember right he never did much wherever he ended up, like South Florida or something. He was a chubby looking kid who Coach Keady would done wonders with in time. I always wished he would have stayed and grown.

On another note. Shock Top HoneyCrisp Apple Wheat. Wonderful stuff. I'm on my 3rd and the night is still so young. How are you doing?

Hey Gem, are you maybe thinking of Ije Nwanko? Chubby for sure..........another kid that I had hopes for. Anyway, I'm just watching the Jeffersons and wrestling around with the dogs. Pretty boring night............until the hooker gets here...............

LOL, I thought Shock Top Honeycrisp was a breakfast cereal! I was like, "damn, third bowl?" Ha Ha.

More power to you Gem!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Gem, are you maybe thinking of Ije Nwanko? Chubby for sure..........another kid that I had hopes for. Anyway, I'm just watching the Jeffersons and wrestling around with the dogs. Pretty boring night............until the hooker gets here...............
If I remember right...and it's a rare occasion, Buckley had that chubby chest look to him. Maybe I'm showing my senile side. I'm getting a lap dance right now, you needed to order the carry out. It's quicker and fresher. Only 5 bucks more.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT