ADVERTISEMENT

Stefanovic quick release

One thing I've noticed it that Stefanovic has a very quick release in "catch and shoot" scenarios - quicker than Matthias.

Initially, I thought he was rushing his shot, but then I noticed he got it off just as quick when he was wide open. His release might be quicker than any other recent shooter on Purdue.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Yes

One thing I've noticed it that Stefanovic has a very quick release in "catch and shoot" scenarios - quicker than Matthias.

Initially, I thought he was rushing his shot, but then I noticed he got it off just as quick when he was wide open. His release might be quicker than any other recent shooter on Purdue.

Has anybody else noticed this?

I just hope someday he can be compared to Mathias defensively.....right now the gulf is wide.

Yeah I have noticed this too and have been saying it since I saw him shoot for the first time this year. He’s got a higher ceiling than Mathias as a freshman in my opinion. He sees the floor really well and seems to bring that hard-nosed mentality that Mathias brought. If he can get his defense to where Mathias was by his junior year the guy will be a stud.

Yeah I have noticed this too and have been saying it since I saw him shoot for the first time this year. He’s got a higher ceiling than Mathias as a freshman in my opinion. He sees the floor really well and seems to bring that hard-nosed mentality that Mathias brought. If he can get his defense to where Mathias was by his junior year the guy will be a stud.
No.

Reactions: atmafola
DM was a much better athlete. He was also sick most of his freshman year. He will not be able to be the defender DM evolved to. He just won't. Other stuff fine, but it's funny how quickly we underplay the talent level of out players after they leave

Reactions: mreeser
Mathias was a terrible defensive player his freshman year. Might have been one of the worst we had but he put in work and became one of the best. Don’t say Sasha can’t transform his defense as well. Sasha definitely has better hops as he can dunk as others have pointed out. In other objective measures of being a better athlete I’m not sure how they stack up. If Sasha can come anything close to being the player Mathias was I think we’d all be very ecstatic. I’m very encouraged by what I’ve seen the past couple games I must say. Have to love the kid’s hustle in every game regardless. Seems to love the game and brings effort every game.

Mathias was a terrible defensive player his freshman year. Might have been one of the worst we had but he put in work and became one of the best. Don’t say Sasha can’t transform his defense as well. Sasha definitely has better hops as he can dunk as others have pointed out. In other objective measures of being a better athlete I’m not sure how they stack up. If Sasha can come anything close to being the player Mathias was I think we’d all be very ecstatic. I’m very encouraged by what I’ve seen the past couple games I must say. Have to love the kid’s hustle in every game regardless. Seems to love the game and brings effort every game.

Has been promising the last few games. He's been coming in earlier too

Reactions: Zaphod_B
DM was a much better athlete. He was also sick most of his freshman year. He will not be able to be the defender DM evolved to. He just won't. Other stuff fine, but it's funny how quickly we underplay the talent level of out players after they leave
I’m in no way guaranteeing Sasha will be the player DM was or better, I’m just saying he has the potential to be as good or better. He’s getting good PT, had a redshirt year, Cline is on his way out after this year which will = more PT... if he puts the time in that DM did, then it certainly is possible. You can’t tell me you don’t see some potential in Sasha.

I’m a huge Dakota fan, but I have never seen this much better athleticism that you are talking about. He was probably the best passer and shooter that Painter has had and he was as sound a defender as you’ll ever see, but I can’t even remember him dunking the ball in 4 years at Purdue.

Mathias represents everything Purdue basketball SHOULD be known for....player development. I remember me calling him SLOW-kota during his freshman year. The guy developed into an All Big 10 player at both ends of the floor by his senior year. Play pro ball now. A true Boiler.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
You are way wrong on that. SS is the better athlete. I don’t think it is even close. Said as much last year.

Reactions: atmafola
Is it absolutely necessary that a player be able to dunk to be an outstanding player. I think Edwards is an outstanding player, but there have been a couple of times lately where he seemed intent on showing off his ability to dunk and it was embarrassing. I will admit he did throw down a couple of highlite reels that got everyone's attention but they still only counted two points.

You try playing defense against B1G players when you have/are recovering from Mono.

Dakota was a fundamentally sounder player than SS. He was like grease on offense. He made the offense move smoother. He just made offense work by his excellent vision, movement and decision making. SS is a better athlete by far. If SS works as hard on defense as Mathias did, he should be special as an upperclassman

I like Sasha's progression from last season to present & he continues to look more comfortable on the court. It's unfortunate, but inevitable, that comparisons will be made to DM, as Sasha is his own player with his own strengths and weaknesses. This is difficult when the only sample is former Purdue players, but when making comparisons, it's helpful to ignore the racial component. I like this excerpt from "The Undoing Project":

The mere fact that a player physically resembled some currently successful player could be misleading. A decade ago a six-foot-two-inch, light-skinned, mixed-race guy who had gone unnoticed by major colleges in high school and so played for some obscure tiny college, and whose main talent was long-range shooting, would have had no obvious appeal. The type didn’t exist in the NBA—at least not as a raging success. Then Stephen Curry came along and set the NBA on fire, led the Golden State Warriors to an NBA championship, and was everyone’s most valuable player. Suddenly—just like that—all these sharp-shooting mixed-race guards were turning up for NBA job interviews and claiming that their game was a lot like Stephen Curry’s; and they were more likely to get drafted because of the resemblance. “For five years after we drafted Aaron Brooks, we saw so many kids who compared themselves to Aaron. Because there are so many little guards.” Morey’s solution was to forbid all intraracial comparison. “We’ve said, ‘If you want to compare this player to another player, you can only do it if they are a different race.’” If the player in question was African American, for instance, the talent evaluator was only allowed to argue that “he is like so-and-so” if so-and-so was white or Asian or Hispanic or Inuit or anything other than black. A funny thing happened when you forced people to cross racial lines in their minds: They ceased to see analogies. Their minds resisted the leap. “You just don’t see it,” said Morey.

Full article from Slate

Reactions: overthetop16
I like Sasha's progression from last season to present & he continues to look more comfortable on the court. It's unfortunate, but inevitable, that comparisons will be made to DM, as Sasha is his own player with his own strengths and weaknesses. This is difficult when the only sample is former Purdue players, but when making comparisons, it's helpful to ignore the racial component. I like this excerpt from "The Undoing Project":

The mere fact that a player physically resembled some currently successful player could be misleading. A decade ago a six-foot-two-inch, light-skinned, mixed-race guy who had gone unnoticed by major colleges in high school and so played for some obscure tiny college, and whose main talent was long-range shooting, would have had no obvious appeal. The type didn’t exist in the NBA—at least not as a raging success. Then Stephen Curry came along and set the NBA on fire, led the Golden State Warriors to an NBA championship, and was everyone’s most valuable player. Suddenly—just like that—all these sharp-shooting mixed-race guards were turning up for NBA job interviews and claiming that their game was a lot like Stephen Curry’s; and they were more likely to get drafted because of the resemblance. “For five years after we drafted Aaron Brooks, we saw so many kids who compared themselves to Aaron. Because there are so many little guards.” Morey’s solution was to forbid all intraracial comparison. “We’ve said, ‘If you want to compare this player to another player, you can only do it if they are a different race.’” If the player in question was African American, for instance, the talent evaluator was only allowed to argue that “he is like so-and-so” if so-and-so was white or Asian or Hispanic or Inuit or anything other than black. A funny thing happened when you forced people to cross racial lines in their minds: They ceased to see analogies. Their minds resisted the leap. “You just don’t see it,” said Morey.

Full article from Slate
I think Sasha is a bit ahead of Dakota as a freshman on D, but as previously stated...Dakota was fighting mono as well. I think Dakota was a great passer...maybe Matt's best? I see Sasha shooting with the ball a bit in front of him and Dakota a bit slower release as it was directly overhead. Neither, I would describe as athletic players...both cerebral players. Dakota was a key player the last two years at Purdue and if Sasha gets as good as Dakota I'll be happy...and I think he can. Robbie and Vince shared a bit, but each had their advantages...

I think the comparison between Dakota and Sasha is the expected success shooting the ball...the cerebral play and the step slow athleticism both had...although Dakota was cerebral enough he mentally made up for his lack of quickness by thinking on D away from the ball and being the guy you wanted to have to ball if a pass to a big was needed...

No player is ever cloned

I think Sasha is a bit ahead of Dakota as a freshman on D, but as previously stated...Dakota was fighting mono as well. I think Dakota was a great passer...maybe Matt's best? I see Sasha shooting with the ball a bit in front of him and Dakota a bit slower release as it was directly overhead. Neither, I would describe as athletic players...both cerebral players. Dakota was a key player the last two years at Purdue and if Sasha gets as good as Dakota I'll be happy...and I think he can. Robbie and Vince shared a bit, but each had their advantages...

I think the comparison between Dakota and Sasha is the expected success shooting the ball...the cerebral play and the step slow athleticism both had...although Dakota was cerebral enough he mentally made up for his lack of quickness by thinking on D away from the ball and being the guy you wanted to have to ball if a pass to a big was needed...

No player is ever cloned

I like that he shoots more of a set-shot than a jumper, as I've always thought it's easier to be consistent that way. He won't shoot many curling fade-aways like Cline or drill it from 28 feet over someone's hand like Carsen, but he could develop the one dribble side-step to avoid a closing defender. The quickness of his shot is partly due to not needing to reach the apex of his jump before launching.

Full article from Slate

That’s an interesting article. But how do you find a comparable player if the player is black? (Since 75% or whatever it is of the nba is black...)

That’s an interesting article. But how do you find a comparable player if the player is black? (Since 75% or whatever it is of the nba is black...)

I don't think the guideline is written in stone, but it is an interesting exercise. It's more of a reflection on how our brains so easily fall into generalizations based upon appearance.

I like that he shoots more of a set-shot than a jumper, as I've always thought it's easier to be consistent that way. He won't shoot many curling fade-aways like Cline or drill it from 28 feet over someone's hand like Carsen, but he could develop the one dribble side-step to avoid a closing defender. The quickness of his shot is partly due to not needing to reach the apex of his jump before launching.
he "starts the thrust" quicker since it is out in front of him rather than overhead as you said using the apex. Shouldn't you use words different than apex in case "some" IU fans (never said grads) may not know what that means? ;) Cline is 6'6" and the ball is very elevated allowing him to get it off even being a bit slower. They are all boilers and I like them all...just wish we could add major skill and athletic ability in several players...

Mathias represents everything Purdue basketball SHOULD be known for....player development. I remember me calling him SLOW-kota during his freshman year. The guy developed into an All Big 10 player at both ends of the floor by his senior year. Play pro ball now. A true Boiler.
+1,000

No player is ever cloned
Don't forget SS is a red shirt fr.Also I think DM hurt his shoulder his soph.year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT