ADVERTISEMENT

State of 'traditional' BT conf teams.....

typeviic

True Freshman
Nov 30, 2003
It occurred to me that the in-state program down south has found a winning formula by bringing in a new HC, who also brought a dozen players from football 'powerhouse' James Madison. That is bad news for the strength of the conference, IMO. It should not happen. This is not sour grapes. Its an indication of a historically weak (traditional teams) Big Ten. Can you just imagine Mississippi State replicating that in the SEC, bringing in a new HC, being 8-0, and using a dozen new players from, say Appalachian State? As someone said on this board, IU "needs to take advantage of this once in a lifetime schedule opportunity".

It occurred to me that the in-state program down south has found a winning formula by bringing in a new HC, who also brought a dozen players from football 'powerhouse' James Madison. That is bad news for the strength of the conference, IMO. It should not happen. This is not sour grapes. Its an indication of a historically weak (traditional teams) Big Ten. Can you just imagine Mississippi State replicating that in the SEC, bringing in a new HC, being 8-0, and using a dozen new players from, say Appalachian State? As someone said on this board, IU "needs to take advantage of this once in a lifetime schedule opportunity".
If it was Rutgers, you wouldn't be saying this.

Most are all older players who understand the assignment they have and execute to the best of their abilities.

Reactions: pboiler18
I don't know if you remember this or not... But JMU was really good last year. Way better than Indiana or Purdue were last year. Sarratt, Lawton, Fisher and Kamara are indeed beast. They are B1G caliber players who just happened to play at JMU instead because they were overlooked. They are showing out with their opportunity at IU.

I don't know if you remember this or not... But JMU was really good last year. Way better than Indiana or Purdue were last year. Sarratt, Lawton, Fisher and Kamara are indeed beast. They are B1G caliber players who just happened to play at JMU instead because they were overlooked. They are showing out with their opportunity at IU.
I don’t. And I don’t really care.

IU will get exposed when the schedule turns less favorable. Whether that’s vs OSU or in a playoff game…it’s coming.

Ah, good to know. Explains a lot.

I don't know. Instant turnarounds like that are such rare outliers, I wonder how much they really tell us about the rest of the league. I mean, Indiana pasted Nebraska last week but hen Nebraska looked very respectable at OSU yesterday. I don't think many people are going to accuse OSU of being soft.

This might make Purdue fans uncomfortable, but I see parallels to what Joe Tiller did at Purdue in '97.

Granted, transfers weren't anywhere near as big as they are today. For Tiller, it was probably the system as much as the players.

But sometimes you just bring the right guy into the situation, and it works out.
Maybe you catch some early breaks that build excitement and momentum like Purdue beating ND in week 2 in '97 or Indiana's early favorable schedule this year (none of their first 5 B1G opponents are in the top half of the league). And things just take off

I don't know. Instant turnarounds like that are such rare outliers, I wonder how much they really tell us about the rest of the league. I mean, Indiana pasted Nebraska last week but hen Nebraska looked very respectable at OSU yesterday. I don't think many people are going to accuse OSU of being soft.

This might make Purdue fans uncomfortable, but I see parallels to what Joe Tiller did at Purdue in '97.

Granted, transfers weren't anywhere near as big as they are today. For Tiller, it was probably the system as much as the players.

But sometimes you just bring the right guy into the situation, and it works out.
Maybe you catch some early breaks that build excitement and momentum like Purdue beating ND in week 2 in '97 or Indiana's early favorable schedule this year (none of their first 5 B1G opponents are in the top half of the league). And things just take off
O$U and UM are very pedestrian this year, compared to how they have been before

Along the same lines, Kurtis Rourke is a genuinely good quarterback. I follow Ohio U. almost as much as I follow Purdue (lived in Athens for six years). His older brother, Nathan Rourke, also an Ohio U. qb, got a few NFL tryouts before finding a career in the CFL.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The big ten is definitely down this year. Perfect storm for iu with an insanely weak schedule. I think they would get embarrassed by at least half the sec. It’s also embarrassing that we’re letting Oregon come in and win the conference their first year.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT