FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Ohio State named redshirt freshman CJ Stroud their starter over the weekend

Northwestern named Hunter Johnson their starter last week

Michigan named Cade McNamara their starter last week

Notre Dame named Wisconsin transfer Jack Coan their starter last week

Kentucky named Penn St transfer Will Levis their starter last week

Most Big Ten teams had a clear starter coming into fall camp.
Indiana- Penix
Iowa- Petras
Wisconsin- Mertz
Nebraska- Martinez
Penn St- Clifford
Minnesota- Morgan
Illinois- Peters
Maryland- Tagovailoa
Rutgers- Vedral

And then there's Purdue and Michigan St.

Indiana- Penix
Iowa- Petras
Wisconsin- Mertz
Nebraska- Martinez
Penn St- Clifford
Minnesota- Morgan
Illinois- Peters
Maryland- Tagovailoa
Rutgers- Vedral

Who does it benefit to publicly name a starter?

Indiana- Penix
Iowa- Petras
Wisconsin- Mertz
Nebraska- Martinez
Penn St- Clifford
Minnesota- Morgan
Illinois- Peters
Maryland- Tagovailoa
Rutgers- Vedral

I would hope by this point, the team would internally know who the starter is. Not sure there's any benefit right now to name them publicly. My guess is it's likely Plummer, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Who does it benefit to publicly name a starter?
Ask the other Big Ten coaches. They know a lot more about it than I do.

Also, it's not like Brohm has a clear cut #1 who is taking the first team reps and he is simply not sharing with the public. The QB's have very clearly been splitting the reps and he has stated that he is even considering playing both guys.

You can believe that Brohm is so dead set on throwing off the vaunted Oregon State defense that he is willing to give his starter fewer first team reps in fall camp or you can believe that there isn't a QB that has separated from the pack.

Reactions: DAG10

Also, it's not like Brohm has a clear cut #1 who is taking the first team reps and he is simply not sharing with the public. The QB's have very clearly been splitting the reps and he has stated that he is even considering playing both guys.

You can believe that Brohm is so dead set on throwing off the vaunted Oregon State defense that he is willing to give his starter fewer first team reps in fall camp or you can believe that there isn't a QB that has separated from the pack.
If Brohm, at some point, doesn't give the reins to one guy, sooner or later he's going to have trouble recruiting QBs. Good recruits don't mind competing for, and earning a starting job. But I seriously doubt guys like Allen are interested in splitting time at QB...

Probably the starter......
Unless you have 2 very different options at QB, I don't think a D is going to prepare any differently for 2 similar drop back passers.
The D is going to double Bell, play a deep soft zone, and make Purdue prove it can run the ball.

I would guess that the starter knows. The question I asked is who would benefit by publicly announcing the starter.

I don’t think Brohm is dead set on anything. I just don’t see any value in publicly announcing a starter.

I would guess that the starter knows. The question I asked is who would benefit by publicly announcing the starter.

If it's already been shared internally, it would get leaked. But, from a team perspective, I think it helps, or at least doesn't hurt, announcing the starter. Plus, it's not like we have 2 NFL ready QBs Brohm is trying to decide between. He has 2, maybe 3 guys, and he's trying to figure out who's likely to make the fewest mistakes.

Indiana- Penix
Iowa- Petras
Wisconsin- Mertz
Nebraska- Martinez
Penn St- Clifford
Minnesota- Morgan
Illinois- Peters
Maryland- Tagovailoa
Rutgers- Vedral

I think OC probably gets the nod but JP will play early and often (or, if Jack starts, OC will get plenty of time). JB isn’t afraid to go to the next guy, which I like, and both of them bring a unique skill set to the offense. In the end, I think accuracy wins out, which is OC.

If it's already been shared internally, it would get leaked. But, from a team perspective, I think it helps, or at least doesn't hurt, announcing the starter. Plus, it's not like we have 2 NFL ready QBs Brohm is trying to decide between. He has 2, maybe 3 guys, and he's trying to figure out who's likely to make the fewest mistakes.

Well I don’t necessarily agree that it would get leaked. If it did, that is a problem in and of itself.

Someone is taking the field in practices and scrimmages first. Even without a public announcement that is the starter as of now.

I do agree that there isn’t enough of a gap between our qbs to say that will stay the same all the way to game day. And if it does I have no problem with that.

As I said in the other QB thread:

Is this a clue to the next Quarterback? Jack Plummer has been named to the watch list for the 2021 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

Oh, and in a recent Brohm video when talking about quarterbacks he started to say both, but then changed it to include more of them. So as most people think, it's probably between O'Connell and Plummer.

My guess is that during camp, no starter is defined so that players compete and coaches can evaluate their talent. Now that camp us over, I expect first team and depth charts are being developed so that game prep for Oregon State can be implemented.

What is important to me is regardless of who is in at QB, they need to move the ball down the field and into the end zone for 6. If they can't, then next man up.

I call the Plummer and it will be his job until he gets hurt or throws 2 picks in a game.....

I see Burton and OC coming in every so often to keep focused.

Excited to win our first two and then take it to ND and have a chance to make some National noise....

Boiler Up!

Well I don’t necessarily agree that it would get leaked. If it did, that is a problem in and of itself.

Someone is taking the field in practices and scrimmages first. Even without a public announcement that is the starter as of now.

I do agree that there isn’t enough of a gap between our qbs to say that will stay the same all the way to game day. And if it does I have no problem with that.

I'm not a fan of musical QBs. I say you name a starter and let him go. Give him 3-4 games before you consider making a change. You don't want your starter constantly looking over his shoulder or playing to not make mistakes.

Reactions: DAG10
I guarantee that by the Oregon State game someone will start at QB and we will not start the game with that position vacant. That's all that really matters.
Never announce till gametime, then send Plummer, AOC wide rt and Burton out wide left to keep Oregon St guessing on the 1st play go double pass! I know it is silly, yet gamemanship for the sake of it.
Like taking the Queen out early on the chess board. 😂

I think some people are missing sight of an obvious point. The majority of fall practice time is now BEHIND this team. It's basically just game prep from here on. And the practice reports and eyeballs on scrimmages say the same thing. There has not been a single QB taking the starting majority of the snaps with the first team. That means that whoever starts game 1 will have taken fewer snaps from their starting center, developed less chemistry with their starting receiver corps, spent less time getting a feel for pulling the ball out of RB1's gut grip on play action, less time going against a legitimate pass rusher, etc., etc., etc.. than any other starter in the conference except MSU.

I think some people are missing sight of an obvious point. The majority of fall practice time is now BEHIND this team. It's basically just game prep from here on. And the practice reports and eyeballs on scrimmages say the same thing. There has not been a single QB taking the starting majority of the snaps with the first team. That means that whoever starts game 1 will have taken fewer snaps from their starting center, developed less chemistry with their starting receiver corps, spent less time getting a feel for pulling the ball out of RB1's gut grip on play action, less time going against a legitimate pass rusher, etc., etc., etc.. than any other starter in the conference except MSU.
Now after 5 years it is obvious to me that Brohm sees his QB's as plug and play pieces in his system. He wants to prep multiple guys with the first team and feel comfortable making a game week decision or switch mid game if needed. He wants to have flexibility in who starts rather than focus on chemistry. Maybe that's the right thing to do. It's just different than most other coaches, including some very successful ones.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Pretty sure that after the second scrimmage the practices are closed. I am sure there is a starter taking starter reps now. And if there isn’t, Brohm and staff have been doing this a while now. I will trust what he thinks. I don’t believe qb has cost us very many games to this point.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Probably the starter......
Unless you have 2 very different options at QB, I don't think a D is going to prepare any differently for 2 similar drop back passers.
The D is going to double Bell, play a deep soft zone, and make Purdue prove it can run the ball.
But Plummer can run, so that would change the defensive prep no?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
If Brohm, at some point, doesn't give the reins to one guy, sooner or later he's going to have trouble recruiting QBs. Good recruits don't mind competing for, and earning a starting job. But I seriously doubt guys like Allen are interested in splitting time at QB...
Hes more or less picked a QB and stuck with him each year.

Hes more or less picked a QB and stuck with him each year.

I agree with this. There has been I think 1-2 changes that happened because someone was playing incredibly poorly in a game. Other than that every change has been necessary because of injuries.

Indiana- Penix
Iowa- Petras
Wisconsin- Mertz
Nebraska- Martinez
Penn St- Clifford
Minnesota- Morgan
Illinois- Peters
Maryland- Tagovailoa
Rutgers- Vedral

To quote Tony Dungy, “if you have two QB’s, you have no QB”. Sounds like at least (former) NFL coach and former QB, likes the idea of declaring.

Reactions: bonefish1
But Plummer can run, so that would change the defensive prep no?
He can run and he's more mobile than AOC ,but he's certainly not a duel threat QB. He's still a drop back/pocket passer. I doubt, (but you never know) that Brohm would have many QB running plays drawn up.

Reactions: sigmaboiler
Pretty sure that after the second scrimmage the practices are closed. I am sure there is a starter taking starter reps now. And if there isn’t, Brohm and staff have been doing this a while now. I will trust what he thinks. I don’t believe qb has cost us very many games to this point.

Starting Quarterback Still a Mystery​

The Boilermakers are still rotating between fifth-year senior Aidan O'Connell, senior Austin Burton and junior Jack Plummer. Brohm has not hint who has taken a lead in the quarterback battle, if anyone, but he said that redshirt freshman Michael Alaimo was unavailable due to a toe issue.

All Brohm indicated was that the three passers had a productive day, especially with the defense playing as poorly as it did.

As of now, there's no timetable for when the starting quarterback will be announced, and Brohm said he is open to playing multiple signal-callers on game days if he believes it gives the team the best chance to win.

"We'll always be open to that," he said. "I think all these guys can do some different things. They all understand the offense now. While we could play one, we could play multiple. So, we'll just kind of see how that goes.

"Every game, we will determine if we have a small package here and there for someone else. Like everything, they're all competitive, and they've done a good job. We feel confident if they have to go in the game — which can be a problem, but it's a good problem to have for us as a team to have capable quarterbacks that have improved every week that we feel can help us win."

Starting Quarterback Still a Mystery​

The Boilermakers are still rotating between fifth-year senior Aidan O'Connell, senior Austin Burton and junior Jack Plummer. Brohm has not hint who has taken a lead in the quarterback battle, if anyone, but he said that redshirt freshman Michael Alaimo was unavailable due to a toe issue.

All Brohm indicated was that the three passers had a productive day, especially with the defense playing as poorly as it did.

As of now, there's no timetable for when the starting quarterback will be announced, and Brohm said he is open to playing multiple signal-callers on game days if he believes it gives the team the best chance to win.

"We'll always be open to that," he said. "I think all these guys can do some different things. They all understand the offense now. While we could play one, we could play multiple. So, we'll just kind of see how that goes.

"Every game, we will determine if we have a small package here and there for someone else. Like everything, they're all competitive, and they've done a good job. We feel confident if they have to go in the game — which can be a problem, but it's a good problem to have for us as a team to have capable quarterbacks that have improved every week that we feel can help us win."

Does that counter what I am saying? That interview happened at the end of the second scrimmage. I think we all know there was a competition up to that point.

And Brohm said there was no timetable for an announcement. He didn’t say that there isn’t going to be someone taking qb1 snaps.

Just because nothing has been said, it's doesn't even remotely mean that a number hasn't been chosen or indicated or whatever.

This whole thing is being over analyzed way more than it needs to be.

• Love
Reactions: Beorik and Purdue85
Just because nothing has been said, it's doesn't even remotely mean that a number hasn't been chosen or indicated or whatever.

This whole thing is being over analyzed way more than it needs to be.
I agree. Not sure why at this point there's any benefit to publicly naming a starter. We'll know who the starter is when the game time depth chart comes out or we see him on the field...

Reactions: Level 42
"It's the Plummer, I come to fix da sink"....tic

I do not care who it is as long as they play and have fun and win!

My goodness.

It's almost like... if there isn't enough drama, we're going to go out of our way to create some...

All I know is if Brohm doesn’t name Jack
Albers starting qb soon there is zero chance we win a game this year. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT