ADVERTISEMENT

Spring games....

Mar 21, 2018
College football should allow each school to schedule 2 spring games vs other schools. This would allow hype to build, and give fans a preview going into the next season. I understand the limitations regarding freshman, but what other negatives are out there? It would attract interest in between the two major sports...

College football should allow each school to schedule 2 spring games vs other schools. This would allow hype to build, and give fans a preview going into the next season. I understand the limitations regarding freshman, but what other negatives are out there? It would attract interest in between the two major sports...

Injuries area big limitation if you ask me. Our lines were pretty decimated and the off season was a time for a lot of those guys to get healthy.

I don’t think we really wanted to play anybody this spring down our starting QB, 2 best defensive players, down 3 OL, etc...

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
The biggest negative is the threat that players could get hurt and not be ready for fall. Moore was not used much to our Spring game this year to keep him healthy and not risk injury. If we played against another school, and a player like him got hurt, it could change the whole upcoming season for our team if a situation like that were to happen.

Also, many players wait until the season is complete before they have surgeries, so they finish the current season, but are ready for the next season. Similar to our Spring season this year, we had multiple players that will play significant roles for us in the Fall that did not participate in practices and/or game. Besides the freshman coming in June, you could not get a feel for how our offense or defense will really look in 2019 with guys like Sindelar, Bailey, Neal, etc. that were out or limited in their participation in the Spring.

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
Injuries area big limitation if you ask me. Our lines were pretty decimated and the off season was a time for a lot of those guys to get healthy.

I don’t think we really wanted to play anybody this spring down our starting QB, 2 best defensive players, down 3 OL, etc...
The idea of an opponent in spring seems like a neat idea on the surface but yeah the risk of injury and the fact a lot of top players are out anyways would affect the quality

The risk of injury is always there. At least half of player injuries occur during practices.

The real impediment, in my opinion, is the circle of money required to make it work.

A visiting team had real expenses of travel, accommodations that would have to be covered by the home team (that would make money by an admission charge).

Michigan can play Eastern Michigan or Toledo (7 and 30 miles away respectively.). Who would Hawaii play? Most of the non/California west have no other FBS teams that aren’t already opponents ( such as Colorado/Colorado State). Instead of bus trips, you’re talking charter flights.

Then you get the pressure of what you’re putting on the field for paying customers? How much per ticket to see the #4 QB play behind 2nd string or walk-on offensive lineman? in the 4th quarter?....while not showing anything out of your playbook that gives regular season opponents film to prepare with. How much should Brohm have shown in ‘17 spring installing a new offense?

Okay, I was drunk when I posted this and didn't remember until I saw the notifications. Anyways, I understand the points being made, but there seems to be a lot of meat left on the bone regarding college football. A spring game with Purdue vs Indiana State would attract fans and could be broadcast on the Big Ten network etc..

The NCAA is a business that makes a lot of money. So, the number one reason to have a pre season game is money. Do the negatives out weigh the positives?

Injuries and the fact that these kids have enough commitments ...

A lot of players load up on classes in the spring so they can take fewer hours and easier classes during the season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT